It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
(female)

holdingon HB User
Angry How many people do you have to tell about it?

Mini-Rant.
I am having LIS surgery. In order to get access to some sick pay benefits, no TDI available, I have to submit medical statement with diagnosis etc. This wouldn't be a problem, so much, if it were going to an insurance company or offsite location. However, I work in a small office and this info will go to my supervisor, his supervisor, HR and finally a budget officer who will make the determination. I haven't told anyone the diagnosis, only that I'm having a surgery. My supervisor is good with that and is very supportive.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but I can't stand the thought of these people knowing. Bad enough all the doctors, nurses, secretaries I've had to discuss this with. And nevermind all the insensitivity and speculations I've heard from medical professionals. I can't imagine what I might be subject to with the average person. Ugggh.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Re: How many people do you have to tell about it?

What is a LIS and TDI?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

Here's what I'd do. I'd let your supervisor see the real form with the full diagnosis. Then I'd make a copy with a piece of paper over the gory details and hand that one out to everyone with a note that your supervisor has seen and approved the original, that due to the sensitive nature of the surgery, the details are probably more than they want to know, and that either you or your supervisor will share them on request. If appropriate, you can reassure them that you'll be 100% fixed afterwards, or whatever, so they don't imagine something worse than it is. I suspect that most people will be discouraged from asking to see the original document.

ETA: LIS is Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy. Yes, I can understand why you'd prefer not to share the details. Good luck!

Last edited by AThena53; 07-28-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
(female)

holdingon HB User
Red face Re: How many people do you have to tell about it?

Thanks AThena53. That was a good idea! I took the other way out though. Not brave enough to disclose the info at all.

Now I have to find someone who has been through this that did not have an "instant relief" experience. I was hoping for the best...of course! But it seems like I might have to take more time off and prolong my "mysterious" absence from work I've had enough of the low point moments after crying uncontrollably at the doc office while the doc and nurse stood there talking to me...not caring that my butt was in the air and the exam was already over. That was on the list of things I never thought I'd do. Ahhh...the joys of life

Oh..and TDI is Temporary Disability Insurance...a wonderful benefit if you have it. Shoulda bought Aflac. I'll put that on the list.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
(male)

dcarvalho HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
Thanks AThena53. That was a good idea! I took the other way out though. Not brave enough to disclose the info at all.

Now I have to find someone who has been through this that did not have an "instant relief" experience. I was hoping for the best...of course! But it seems like I might have to take more time off and prolong my "mysterious" absence from work I've had enough of the low point moments after crying uncontrollably at the doc office while the doc and nurse stood there talking to me...not caring that my butt was in the air and the exam was already over. That was on the list of things I never thought I'd do. Ahhh...the joys of life

Oh..and TDI is Temporary Disability Insurance...a wonderful benefit if you have it. Shoulda bought Aflac. I'll put that on the list.

Dear holdingon,

you're not alone walking thru this nightmare; I've just returned home from the hospital where I've spent the last 3 days after the 2nd surgery in 3 weeks: after the LIS on the 06th July I have developed an hematoma with abcess; the surgery incision was infected due to a rectum leak

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

I did a Search on "sphincterotomy" on this Board and found quite a few stories, ranging from people who had instant relief to those who took a little longer to recover. Hopefully you can learn from their stories. I've managed to escape the surgeon's knife since I had an episiotomy when DS was born in 1984, so I can't help with personal experience.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
(male)

number7god HB User

in my opinion the more people that know the truth about your condition the better.i have been absent from my job for 7 months now and my employers have never been anything other than supportive.it also means you dont have to keep trying to explain frequent days off or why on bad days when you are there you have to set up camp in the bathroom

Closed Thread