It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

jlb1191 HB User
pph surgery in 18 days...yes I'm counting

Any advice would be great. As I have posted before, I have a history of internal and external hemorrhoids. I have been banded which cause 6 weeks of extreme pain. I was just told that I will be having the pph and back on here to get some feedback. I hear alot of conflicting info as far as recovery and would like opinions. I now have an internal hemorrhoid that is causing external problems. I only have problems when standing for long periods of time and can no longer live like this. Dr. said all was caused from last childbirth. I am also a surgical technician and not a good patient, I like doing the surgeries, not having them I have 4 children and a home to take care of and I am worried about how I will be after this procedure. Any advice would be great!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
(male)

mjcny123 HB User
Re: pph surgery in 18 days...yes I'm counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb1191 View Post
Any advice would be great. As I have posted before, I have a history of internal and external hemorrhoids. I have been banded which cause 6 weeks of extreme pain. I was just told that I will be having the pph and back on here to get some feedback. I hear alot of conflicting info as far as recovery and would like opinions. I now have an internal hemorrhoid that is causing external problems. I only have problems when standing for long periods of time and can no longer live like this. Dr. said all was caused from last childbirth. I am also a surgical technician and not a good patient, I like doing the surgeries, not having them I have 4 children and a home to take care of and I am worried about how I will be after this procedure. Any advice would be great!!!
Absolutely, positively, DO NOT DO IT. I had the PPH about 3 years ago using a very well respected surgeon. Ever since I have had awful chronic pain inside for which my doctor kept referring to as "fissures" or "irritation" and continuously prescribed cortisone suppositories, etc. Last week he finally suggested another surgery to remove the "irritated areas". Well, I decided to go to another doctor for a second opinion who told me the PPH surgery is not a good procedure, and that the pain I am feeling is caused by the staples, as he pushed on them and it was exactly where the pain was located.

I immediately made a subsequent appointment with my original doctor and told him of this opinion. He begrudgingly admitted that he knew this was the issue, that he no longer does the PPH surgery because the results were poor, and that the area he was going to remove was one quarter of the stapled area. He also said that it is impossible to remove all of the staples.

It's been absolutely horrible to live with. I am sick about having to go back in for another surgery but hoping this relieves the issue. The problem is, while the severe pain is located in a portion of the stapled area, I do feel sharp sensations all the way around, just hoping this further surgery provides enough relief that I can live without thinking about the "pain in my a$$" 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcny123 View Post
Absolutely, positively, DO NOT DO IT. I had the PPH about 3 years ago using a very well respected surgeon. Ever since I have had awful chronic pain inside for which my doctor kept referring to as "fissures" or "irritation" and continuously prescribed cortisone suppositories, etc. Last week he finally suggested another surgery to remove the "irritated areas". Well, I decided to go to another doctor for a second opinion who told me the PPH surgery is not a good procedure, and that the pain I am feeling is caused by the staples, as he pushed on them and it was exactly where the pain was located.

I immediately made a subsequent appointment with my original doctor and told him of this opinion. He begrudgingly admitted that he knew this was the issue, that he no longer does the PPH surgery because the results were poor, and that the area he was going to remove was one quarter of the stapled area. He also said that it is impossible to remove all of the staples.

It's been absolutely horrible to live with. I am sick about having to go back in for another surgery but hoping this relieves the issue. The problem is, while the severe pain is located in a portion of the stapled area, I do feel sharp sensations all the way around, just hoping this further surgery provides enough relief that I can live without thinking about the "pain in my a$$" 24 hours, 7 days a week.
WOW....now you are making me think. It's funny how many different opinions I have read. Seems it either goes really good, or REALLY bad. I hope they can do something to stop the pain for you as I know what it is like to live with a pain in your a** everyday! I am doing my research now and the numbers are not great on the pph. I really am not looking at the post op pain...I want this problem GONE. Thanks for your input and good luck to you

Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

so surgery is in 5 days, I have stopped all blood thinners and have done all my pre-ops. I will go this weekend to get my enema and senokot to prepare for after the surgery. I am also going to see what I can get to keep things flowing seeing that it seems to be the most important thing you can do. My bowels are regular, go every morning, but I am afraid of not being able to after the surgery. I will post my experience as I can and keep everyone informed incase they are thinking of having this done. I am still very scared of the outcome but in my situation I feel I have no alternative. My bowel problems are caused by internal hemm's that are causing external ones. I have no constipation, no bleeding, it's the gravity of standing alot. I have read that pregnancy and childbirth over time may cause this. I have had problems for 8 years. The pph should fix this problem and put things back where they belong. Time will tell. Please feel free to share your experience as well.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

surgery day. Have not eaten anything since last night at 10 p.m. doc said I could have 1 cup of coffee black this morning and of course without creamer--yuk. Had my usual morning bowel movement and now I am starving. I have to give myself an enema before I leave for the hospital and I am not looking forward to that at all. I spent the last week preparing my household incase I cannot function. I have 4 children at home so I am worried. I have my senekot ready for when I come home and lots of high fiber foods. Because I have had years with hemorrhoids, I already have all those things they say help in the house. Witch hazel, and such although I don't think any of them helped. I am very nervous because of all that I read here but feel I have no choice but to try this in order to have a life! I start my new job on aug 23rd and hope that 2 weeks will be enough to heal. I will keep everyone posted, please post any experience you have had with recovery. Thank you

Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

Okay so had surgery yesterday at 3 pm. I got home about 7 pm. woke up in recovery with pain, they gave me 3 shots of dilauted and finally took the edge off. I was sent to my room until I was feeling well and able to void. Once home I am on percocet every 6 hours, they said 1 or 2 pills (7.5mg) but 2 is barely making it. I cannot go the whole 6 hours only 4-5 and have to have another. I have been using lots of ice they say for swelling but I think it works great for numbing. Got 3 solid hours of sleep. I thought the pain would be terrible but so far not too bad...cramping and uncomfortable. I am able to pee but have not had a bowel movement yet....scared!!! It is 5 am and I am having my coffee which usually makes me go so we will see. I am lucky not to have to go to work because there would be no way. I start a new job in 2 weeks so I do need to heal. My eating has been minimal...when I came home I tried some soup and applesauce but didn't want either..I am drinking vitamin water and it's hard to drink alot. I took one dose of senakot last night and will take another now....I guess today time will tell but all in all Better than I was planning for so far

Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
(male)

greg1x HB User

I am interested in following your progress, keep posting. I have a feeling this may be in my future at some point. Greg

Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

so day one is over and let me start by saying that I researched this procedure to the fullest. I am a new graduate in surgical technology and have an extensive medical background. Boards like this one and many other resources have had me so nervous. You can find alot of info on the bad but none on the good. So it has been just over 24 hours and things couldn't be better. First I think it is very important you have not a good but a great surgeon to do this procedure. I have been taking my percocet 2 at a time every 6 hours which this afternoon I cut own to 1 pill. I took 2 senekot this morning and 2 tonite. My diet has been granola bar and applesauce for breakfast, little soup and prunes, and a piece of corn on the cob with more applesauce. I have not been hungry but trying to eat. I have had 4 bottles of vitamin water throughout the day and my morning coffee and afternoon coffee. This morning I felt the urge to go and had to push a little and the gauze came out. Had blood on it but no other blood. At 9 pm tonite I had my first bowel movement and was totally prepared with bath water drawn. It was completely loose and did not have to push or have any pain at all!!! No bleeding either. I am amazed!!!! The pain throughout has only been a cramping...not painful. I have made it a point to get up throughout the day and talk short walks....very important in order to keep things flowing. The only problem I have had is sleeping...which may be the meds. This is my complete day and other than feeling drained I cannot believe how easy this was. I was scared to death reading all the things I did and I experienced the total opposite. Will post again to see if things continue to get better or not...but from the looks of things I am doing wonderful. If you are thinking of having this done, I of course will tell you do it. All people are different and doctors are human, things can go wrong and complications do exist but do your research, maintain your diet and follow directions.Many people have different problems with their hemorrhoids and may have different outcomes. Now I just have to wait and see if my problems are fixed but the surgery was half the battle.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugreg1x View Post
I am interested in following your progress, keep posting. I have a feeling this may be in my future at some point. Greg
I will keep you updated. Do not be discouraged by what you read...I have waited 8 years to do this and I am now kicking myself...so far have had NO problems...keep reading and good luck!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

It is Wed.morning, I had the pph done on Monday afternoon...it's been less than 48 hours and last night I had a bowel movement...couldn't of gone smoother I took my last percocet last night..giving me hives and woke up this morning to start up motrin...which I did, little crampy but not bad. Within 2 sips of my coffee I had another movement..not runny but not solid...sorry to be so graphic but people need to know. Small semi-solid pieces. no pushing and a little crampy but no pain. I think it is very important what you eat and drink so things keep moving like normal. No bleeding at all but now I do feel a cramp like pain down there and waiting for that mortin to kick in to see if it takes the edge off. Don't want to stay on the percocet because it does cause constipation. This is the best time of the year to do this because you have great access to summer fruits which help keep your bowels moving. If I had to go to work today I can say I would but it would be uncomfortable. I am able to get around my house and do some dishes and things but get tired easily and feel very drained so depending on your job would depend if you could do it or not. I normal do very physical work and there is no way but a desk job maybe...would have to take pillow for comfort.
I get into the bath tub after each bm only to help crampy feeling which it does but this crampy feeling is nothing like the pain I had with external hemorrhoids...NOTHING...It is like a menstrual period cramp but in your butt.
After all the reading I did I expected so much worse and so far this has been very easy to deal with. I keep track of everything i eat drink and take on a little pad just so I know what I am putting in. It helps. The foods are boring but work. I am trying to go back to what was my normal to get back on schedule and so far it seems to be working. I was so worried I wouldn't have my bm's in the morning like I always did and day 2 is here and already seem to be on schedule.
as far as diet...granola, oatmeal, lots of fruits, pears, apples, plums all with skin, water, water, water even flavored, fig newton cookies, prunes, raisins, and today I am gonna try some more things like whole grain bread. I always took a fiber supplement in the morning and at bedtime, I started them back yesterday and last night and will continue them this morning like normal just to help things along. Will also continue the senokot for now. Also don't forget to take a walk every once in a while, I think it great to keep your bowels moving things through.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

well it's thursday evening and it's been just over 3 days since my pph....I have to say it couldn't have gone better. I myself cannot believe how well I am doing. I am still taking 1 percocet every 6 hours, cramp like pain but could go without if I had to. My bowels are fine, going once every morning like normal, smaller than usual but still going without any pain or problems. I went shopping today and did notice after a little while of walking that I was more tired than normal but still did fine. This entire experience has been nothing that I expected and I advice anyone thinking of having a pph to go for it. I waited a long time and prepared myself for the worst. This was nothing like what I read. I am 40 years old, had hemorrhoids for over 8 years to the point where they were thrombus, prolapse and become necrotic. Everytime I spent a few hours on my feet it happened and I have lived with this for years. As far as healing we will see how the hemorrhoids go but so far things are looking great. Please feel free to ask any questions, I would be happy to give as many answers as I can. I, not by choice, have alot of knowledge in the butt area and would love to advice you if your confused or need some info.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
(male)

mjcny123 HB User

Well, I just had surgery about 5 weeks ago to remove a quarter of the staple line due to the side effects of my PPH procedure which included persistent pain and newly developed skin tags.

The issue turned out to be that not everyone's "pain line" is an exact circle and that I had nerves in one area that went farther up the colon. Turns out, there was a staple directly in a nerve that had created a very large neuroma with a titanium staple squeezing it. Been living with it for years since this procedure, now the doctor understands the unbearable pain I had been in. Most of the pain is now gone and the sutures are mostly healed, it is nice to have life without constantly thinking about the pain in the a$$.

I am glad and hope yours is one of the successful ones, but people should beware of the possible side effects; As I may have mentioned earlier, my original doctor has stopped using the PPH procedure due to the number of patients with side effects (mainly skin tags that must then be removed), and other well respected colorectal surgeons I spoke with do not perform it for the same reasons.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
(female)

sosickofitall HB User

Did you have your PPH surgery done? How did it go? I'm schedueld to have it done November 26th. Scared to death! I had 2 usuccessful bandings and have decided to go thru with it. I have 2, stage 3 hemorrhoids. The banding procedure was nothing. I was fine, just sick to my stomach that afternoon. I did stay home from work the next day after the banding, just becuause I wanted to. Have you had the banding done? Would you say this procedure is worse than the banding? I would assume it is. I've been living with this for about 29 years. Can't take it anymore. They are so huge and they do hurt, but I seldom have any bleeding. I am desperate for information. I've read both good and bad reports. Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosickofitall View Post
Did you have your PPH surgery done? How did it go? I'm schedueld to have it done November 26th. Scared to death! I had 2 usuccessful bandings and have decided to go thru with it. I have 2, stage 3 hemorrhoids. The banding procedure was nothing. I was fine, just sick to my stomach that afternoon. I did stay home from work the next day after the banding, just becuause I wanted to. Have you had the banding done? Would you say this procedure is worse than the banding? I would assume it is. I've been living with this for about 29 years. Can't take it anymore. They are so huge and they do hurt, but I seldom have any bleeding. I am desperate for information. I've read both good and bad reports. Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
First let me say don't worry so much...I did and it went great. I had a banding done and it was awful so I was ready for the worst. This went wonderfully. I have heard that it can go bad and I believe everyone is different and has different hemorrhoids. For me, the was a blessing. The procedure pulls everything back to where it belongs and for me I only got hemorrhoids when I would stand for long periods so by having this done, it has completely fixed me. Now on the bad side, it does take sometime to heal. 3-4 days on medications, and for a few weeks you do have this feeling to go, but cannot go, just feel like you have to. Mostly swelling inside. I am getting my life back and I feel this is a great procedure for certain people, I also feel the right surgeon makes all the difference in the world. I am a surgical tech myself and will say again, the right surgeon! I have seen too much first hand. I do not think it was worse than the banding because what some people do not understand about hemorrhoids is that if they cannot go back in place, they will not heal. This forces them to. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
(female)

sosickofitall HB User

Thank you sooooo much for responding. I've had them for 29 years now. I am 45 and am very active. I exercise every day (at least 5 days a week for at least an hour) and follow a gluten free diet. I was always constipated, then about 3 years ago, began have constant diarrhea and vomiting. Took about a year to find out was was wrong; Celiac disease. The banding was nothing as far as pain goes for me. I was fine. The second banding was a little worse than the first because he kept trying to grab the hemorrhoid to band it; he shot like 6 rubber bands, but they just wouldn't work. He couldn't grab them. He gave nothing to numb the area; I read that most doctors do. So, I felt everything. I have been in misery for quite a while now. They don't bleed, but they do hurt and really burn a lot. I finally have gotten up the nerve to do something about them. I've never taken pain meds so I'm not sure what to expect. I am prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. Thank you so much for responding. I feel better knowing there's life after this. I read the surgery takes only about 20 minutes; I plan on being put to sleep so I guess as soon as I wake up and tinkle, I'll be allowed to go home. I didn't have any trouble passing urine with the banding, but did feel some pressure in the lower abdomen for a couple days after the first procedure. I kinda can't wait to have it done. Finally be rid of them for once and all. I'm not sure how it will feel not to have them. They are at stage 3. Can I expect any type of drainage after the surgery? I am going on November 18th for my pre-op, I guess I should ask that question. What did they have you do for prepation? Enema? I was wondering if I had to "evacuate" my bowels prior to having it done. I'm having it done Friday after Thanksgiving. I'm planning on starting a liquid diet Wednesday to empty out everything. Just to be on the safe side. I will have some soup broth and jello for Thanksgiving this year!

Thank you again for responding. It has eased my mind.

Closed Thread