It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

penny53 HB User
Nasty taste in mouth

I have had my second flair up of diverticulitis in the past 3 weeks. I have had a nasty taste in my mouth the whole time.
I didnt see a Dr. until the third week so I know its not from meds, I hadnt been taking anything but Ibuprofen, using a heating pad and eating oatmeal, brown rice, green peas.
maybe once or twice a day. Or went without eating at all, drinking only water.

I didnt think to ask the Dr. about the nasty taste in my mouth when I was in his office.
Is it something I should be concerned with and go back to the Dr.?

No matter how often I brush my teeth and inside of the mouth. I can't get rid of the icky taste.

What will help with this?

Penny

Old 07-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Nasty taste in mouth

could it be your sinuses or stomach?

Have you recently switched toothpastes? I've had some that make my mouth taste nasty. The Crest scope outlast feels weird, but might be helpful for you.

As well, maybe use digestive enzymes and eat more protein such as fish which is fairly easy to digest and maybe eggs.

Try not to take too much ibuprophen...hard on the kidneys and gut.

Are you having pain from spasming and gas? I use dicyclomine which is an antispasmodic and works well...you need prescription, however.

As well, probiotics would be a good thing to help with the digestive flora, hopefully helping witht he taste in your mouth.

What other meds are you on....are you on a sleeping pill?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

penny53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny53 View Post
I have had my second flair up of diverticulitis in the past 3 weeks. I have had a nasty taste in my mouth the whole time.
I didnt see a Dr. until the third week so I know its not from meds, I hadnt been taking anything but Ibuprofen, using a heating pad and eating oatmeal, brown rice, green peas.
maybe once or twice a day. Or went without eating at all, drinking only water.

I didnt think to ask the Dr. about the nasty taste in my mouth when I was in his office.
Is it something I should be concerned with and go back to the Dr.?

No matter how often I brush my teeth and inside of the mouth. I can't get rid of the icky taste.

What will help with this?

Penny

Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

penny53 HB User

Thanks for getting back so quickly to me.
Yes I am on a spasym prescrition now along with two antibiotics.
I'm thinking the nasty taste is from the stomach, I will try the probiotics and protein now that the pain & inflammation has subsided. I was told to stay away from all dairy. But will give it a try.
thanks for your help.
Penny

Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

I had this off and on for years. I fouind I have a kidney problem low potassium.
it got worse before I got dx. almost like a metalic taste. i waste or lose most of the potassium i take in and as it got lower the taste increased. good luck. the antibiotics some can temporarliy lower the potassium as well.

Closed Thread