It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
(female)

marespooscats HB User
Question Barium enema VS colonoscopy

I have all sorts of stomach problems - IbS - diverticulosis and acid reflux. I was supposed to get a colonoscopy but live alone and had no one to be with me or drive me home so I got my doctor to OK a barium enema.

NOW my sister in law says she will be up and drive me to the colonoscopy appt and be with me so my question is - Would it be OK to cancel the barium enema, since the colonoscopy will tell more or would I need both of them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
(male)

fishawn HB User
Re: Barium enema VS colonoscopy

hey, I once had a barium enema and it is VERY PAINFUL! Unless it is really necessary, I would avoid that experience. Good luck, I will pray for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

marespooscats,

The colonoscopy gives better information because they have a direct view of the inside of the colon. They are also able to take biopsy samples if they find anything interesting. With a Barium Enema, the test can only give partial information and if there is anything found than a colonoscopy will most likely be scheduled. That means you will have to do the bowel prep a second time. The barium enema is also an uncomfortable exam, were with the colonoscopy, you are given a sedative which puts you to sleep so that you do not feel any discomfort.

Good luck with which ever test you choose to have done.

Brenda

Old 07-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
(female)

marespooscats HB User

Thanks! I HATE the prep though!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

The barium enema is a WASTE OF TIME!! It didn't show the 15 inches of severely inflamed colon of Ulcerative colitis, and my stupid doctor said..oh it's probably just hemorrhoids..sigh.

Go for the c-scope.

For me, the best prep is the gallon....without any flavouring added. You don't have to starve or do liquid diet for 3 days prior. You can have a light brunch and start the prep at 4 - 5 pm the night before the scope. I have a few tricks to drink the stuff.

As well, I ask for light sedation and watch the monitor....worth the clean-out and no commercials..lol. Then my husband and I go for a nice breakfast afterward.

It's great you have someone to drive you....do the scope, and I do hope the doc does lots of biopsies...seems worth the time once he's in there, plus that will give a good baseline regarding any precancer cells, etc. You may not need another one for 10 years if all is clear.

q

Last edited by quincy; 07-25-2010 at 09:58 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
ssimama (02-09-2012)
Closed Thread