It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

lstilly577 HB User
sphincteroplasty

I had sphincerophasty done 5 weeks ago and anus is so small now and it is difficult to have any bowel movement. Will the anus muscle stretch enough in time where it will not be painful and bleed? Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
(female)

penny70 HB User
Re: sphincteroplasty

Hi Linda,
I think it doesn stretch a bit over time. If you're having problems I'd make sure your stool is soft enough that you can move your bowels successfully. ARe you on anything special for that purpose? I take Align and fiber pills that help. I had a sphincteroplasty in 07 that wasn't successful but am doing okay for now. Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
(female)

ariris HB User

Penny, why your surgery was not succesful? I had mine 2 weeks ago and after reading all the posts about it, I was really scared because it was an outpatient surgery. So far I am ok, just going through everything as expected.

I am only taking 3 weeks off from work, not sure if I will be ok by then, my doctor says the drainage should be less, I sure hope so. How long did it take for both of you to be back to normal activity?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

Hi! I'm due for this surgery in a couple of months. I am very scared. Because of reading all the posts on the board, I asked the surgeon about the smaller anus. He said that it will stretch over time. But of course, the surgeons don't have to live with this, so how much does he really know?

How are the incontinence issues, Ariris and Linda? Before vs after? I am very concerned about going back to scratch "holding-it-in-wise", as it took me 3 years to get where I am now, so I really hope the muscles will be much stronger this time around and I can hold it in after a few weeks already.

My surgeon will have me off work for 4 weeks. Although some people here needed many months to recover, but that is when stitches came loose etc.

Please share about your recovery, both of you, I am so scared to have to be "married" to the toilet again for the next year...

Last edited by Babygirl43; 08-13-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
(female)

penny70 HB User

Hi ariris, I had complications. First I became impacted, then stool began coming through a fistula resulting in my having to have an ileostomy for a year and a half. After my reversal I discovered I had problems holding stool after every bm, not just on a rare occasion which is where I started. Sounds like you're doing much better and that's a good thing! I think if things had gone well I could have returned to work in 6 go 8 weeks but everyone's different.
Penny

Old 08-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
(female)

ariris HB User

Hello all, my doctors recommended the surgery about 4 years ago. I had some episodes that really prompted me go ahead with the surgery, but I was really scared about it and postponed it at least 2 times. I saw 3 doctors and went with the one that I felt more comfortable with but he is the only one that does it as an outpatient procedure. I was not sure about it but he promised me it won't be necessary to keep me in the hospital and that he will give me medicine to keep me comfortable at home. Everything went fine, had bad headaches the first two days due to the spinal block anesthesia and nausea. The medicine helped a lot.
I was really worry about my bms because I always had problems with constipation. I am keeping my diet rich in fruits and vegetables and drinking a lot of water. Took a couple of stool softeners 4 days after the surgery and I am surprised how my bms have been regular and gentle. No problems with this issue. Dr said not to take baths, only showers and I use a hair dryer -cool setting- I apply the ointment and gauze and the drainage is less now, exactly 2 weeks after the surgery. Still have a couple of flaps of skin, dr. says it is normal. So far, no incontinence, but I haven't walk a lot. During the last 4 years, I was affraid to be away from home when taking a walk, this is when I had my episodes.
I sure hope to go back to work in a week, laying at home is not my thing; fortunately my husband helps me a lot around the house, I don't do any physical activity and children are grown up and away.
Babygirl43, go ahead, just relax a little bit, it would be ok.
Penny70, thank you for sharing your problem, I sure hope you don't have to go through it again.

Closed Thread