It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

sharryde HB User
Barium enema

Is the prep for a barium enema difficult? Unable to take epsom salts

Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Barium enema

When I had a barium enema x-ray, I had to drink castor oil...oh horrific!
The test wasn't so hot either.

What is the prep the doc suggested for you? I've not heard of epsom salts used for preps. For my colonoscopies, I use the gallon preps (GoLytely or CoLyte...but without any flavouring).

I hear Pico Salax is a good one, but never tried it.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

miraclemommy HB User

I'm having a barium enema x-ray myself on Wednesday. The only prep they gave me was a clear liquid diet tomorrow, then a Tridate evacuation kit. It contains 10 oz Magnesium Citrate, 3 Bisacodyl Tablets, and 1 Bisacodyl Suppository. Doesnt' seem like a lot prep compared to what I had to do yesterday for the colonoscopy I had today.
What is the barium enema x-ray like? I was out of it after my scope today so I couldn't ask the doc.
Thanks for the input
~Missy

Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You had a colonoscopy? Why the need for a barium enema after having the scope?

I found it degrading and painful, but I had 15 inches of inflamed colon from the rectum up. The girl who did it didn't think I should be in pain..I offered her to change places..grrr.

It didn't show anything regarding the inflammation. Eventually I was sent to a GI who diagnosed me with Ulcerative Colitis.

You don't have to be out for it and after it's done, they'll require you to sit on the toilet to hopefully pass much of the barium. I think I almost exploded the toilet..lol.

Personally, I'd rather have a c-scope...
Let us know how it goes.
q

Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
(female)

miraclemommy HB User

Greeeaaaat, I was hoping this wouldn't be painful, oh well roll with the punches I guess. Sounds like oodles of fun. I'll have to let you know how mine is. I do know that after the BE I have to take 6-8 fleet enemas to clear out the barium because I will hopefully be having a colostomy reversal the following day.
During my scope the Dr. went in through my stoma as well as my rectum, but there was a section on my colon that he was not able to see. He's not sure if it's a part of my colon that was infected and so it had narrowed or if it was just kinked somewhere. My Dr wants to be sure that this is the last surgery I have to endure.
For a brief history of the nightmarish past four months of my life...I had and emergency c-section March 31st of this year. We were blessed with a beautiful, healthy baby boy....as well as a bleed that developed into an abscessed clot, which required emergency surgery to remove. In that surgery I lost my ovary, Fallopian tube, and my colon was nicked. I developed peritonitis, became acutely septic and required another emergency surgery, which saved my life by hours, and I lost 9 inches of my colon. I had the wonderful privilege of receiving a colostomy/ilieostomy.
Sorry for the long description, lol

Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

OMG!! your situation is extremely complicated and whatever testing you need....I would think it would be necessary. Congratulations that your baby is well....your experience, however. Yikes!

I hope you have good support systems in place to help with the baby and your healing. Yes, I'm interested to know how it goes for you.

q

Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
(female)

123kangaroo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharryde View Post
Is the prep for a barium enema difficult? Unable to take epsom salts
I know that his is an older post, but someone else may benefit from the prep i have used for colonoscopies and barium enema. 238 grams of Miralax mixed with 64 oz of clear gatorade. Drink 8oz glass evry 10 to 15 minutes until all gone Little to no cramping and cleaned me out perfect for the tests. I also did full liquid diet 2 days before prep day and clear on day of prep. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread