It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
(female)

miraclemommy HB User
Question About to have a colostomy/ileostomy reversal..questions???

Hi there, Im new to this forum, I wish I would have found you all about 3 months ago!
Here's a brief history of me...at least as brief as I can make it....
I have never had any intestinal problems to speak of and was expecting my first child in April 16th, 2010. As it turns out my son was quite large and so I was scheduled for induction on March 31st. Cervadil was administered to soften my cervix and as a result of misapplication, the medicine sent my son into distress and an emergency c-section was done. We were blessed with a beautiful, healthy baby boy.
I have a very high threshold for pain, but began to feel excruciating pain in my right side. This was attributed to gas and I was encouraged to walk. Each step was stabbing pain, but I pushed through hoping it would lessen the agony. It did not, I was told I had just had major surgery so of course I would be in pain. I was sent home 3 days later...still in pain.
A few days went by and the pain intensified, still I was getting up with the baby and breastfeeding, trying to be a good mother to my precious little man. My stomach began to look like I was carrying twins. About the fourth day home I awoke unable to get out of bed, the pain was unbelievably intense, I called my sister to come and take care of the baby. When she arrived, seeing my condition she took me straight to the ER. I was in the ER for 10 hours, being given every pain med imaginable at the max dosage, and still the pain persisted. I was re-admitted to the hospital where I had had my baby. After looking at the mis-read CT scan results they determined I had and Elias and stuck and NG tube in me while I was awake...let me tell you, that was a hell all it's own.
Anyway, that was a misdiagnosis, they sent me home yet again, still in pain, only this time to call me and let me know I had a bleed that had abbsessed and was now the size of a cantaloupe. I was re-admited again and the OB surgeon was brought in to remove the abscess, major surgery #2. Upon waking up from that one I was informed that they had gotten all of the abscess and also had to take my ovary and fallopian tube.
I was still in pain, this time more than ever, the two drains attached to my incisions began to smell and look like feces. Everyone but the Dr.s and nurses could see that. Turns out the Dr. had nicked my colon, tried to mend it, but had failed to inform anyone about it.
Needless to say I ended up getting septic, severe peritonitis, and in desperate need of a blood transfusion. I was near death, on April 20th I was transferred to another hospital and emergency surgery was done. I woke up and was told that 9 inches of my colon was removed. I looked down and to my horror found a 12 inch opening where my belly button should have been, as well as two of medicines latest fashion in crap bags attached to my stomach. I was in ICU for 2 1/2 weeks. The Dr. said I could have a reversal in 2-4 months.
I'm scheduled for my reconnection on 8/3/10, this Tuesday. I've never entertained the idea of not having the reversal. I have two stomas, and they have been nothing but a nightmare. In the beginning I was changing bags sometimes 4 times a day, mainly due to poorly fitted bags, and my skin became so broken down around my stoma, that a bag couldn't seal. Embarrassing leakage, horrific smells, the noise, OMG, my colostomy gave our preacher his own little amen corner...(yeah I quit going to church unless I fasted the day prior) I haven't been able to hold my son close like a mother should due to the pain of the incision and the pain from the stoma sites.
But now that I have read some of the horror stories people have about having done the reversal Im very nervous.
Does anyone out there have any tips on what to eat after a reversal? What is typical recovery time?
Any info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much ~Missy

Last edited by miraclemommy; 08-01-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
(female)

penny70 HB User
Re: About to have a colostomy/ileostomy reversal..questions???

Hi Missy,
MY inclination is to write OMG but that really doesn't say it. You have been through an awful experienc, I'd say more than one. Surgeons and hospital staff in general I think are in their own little world sometimes and just don't want to listen to their patients. I'm glad they finally got it together and figured out what was going on. I had a stoma for a while (actually a year and a half). At first they told me 2 months, then I switched doctors and waited until my fistula healed which all in all was a good thing. When I got the reversal things were very loose for a while. They'll probably have you take imodium or something like it. When I first had to go in the hospital I couldn't get a nurse to come for the life of me so finally had diahrea all over the bedroom floor (for which I had no embarrassment). I felt they should have been embarrassed not to respond to a patient they knew this was going to happen to. For a few months I think they have you stay away from fiber, salads, etc. until things are more back to normal for you. Sometimes things change after bowel surgery and you may find your body acts differently than it did pre. Compared to other surgeries I found the reversal fairly painfree and I was so greatful to have the ileostomy gone. I hope you experience all good things after yours. Penny

Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

miraclemommy HB User
Talking Re: About to have a colostomy reversal..questions???

Thank you so much for your response Penny. It's good to hear that things are well for you after your reconnection. I never in a million years would have imagined something like this would happen to me, but let me tell you it has made me sooo much more sympathetic to people who have such trials with their intestines. Not that I was unsympathetic before, I have several family members with colitis and diverticulitis, but I understand their struggle so much more now. I've been entertaining the thought of becoming a stoma nurse, if we had a certified one in our area my experience would have been a little better.
One other question for you, did you experience a lot of weight loss after your reconnection? Through my first ordeal I had the NG tube for about a month and lost over 60 lbs. I really don't want to loose any more, but I've been told there is signifigant weight loss after reconnection.
Thanks again for your feedback. While Im sorry for your ordeal as well, it's nice to know their are those out there that can relate!
~Missy

Old 08-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

miraclemommy HB User
Re: About to have a colostomy reversal..questions???

Also, my scope today showed a possible trouble area in my colon, so my surgery has been postponed a few days until they can do a Barium Enema and check it out further with an X-Ray

Old 08-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
(female)

penny70 HB User

Hi Missy,
I'm glad if I can be helpful. I have to say, though I lost 25 pounds after the sphincteroplasty, I lost nothing, just gained after my reversal. I tend to overeat when stressed and that's what I did. Losing the 25 put me in the average range so it felt good for me at that weight. Needless to say I've gained it back and more. 60 sounds like a very large amount to lose. I think when you feel like you're headed back to normal in other ways you get to do everything more like you normally would. Hopefully, you'll be back to your old self in a few weeks or so. I had taken a bunch of time off from work but ended going back early because I really felt better after only a week or 2. Good luck with the barium enema. I had a couple of them when I had a fistula. I hope it provides them with information that's helpful. Reading your post again it seems like there's endless ways medical staff can make mistakes. You really have to be your own advocate and not take no for an answer. Let us know how it goes.
Penny

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User

I am interested to hear how your reversal went if you have had it by now.

I am scheduled for ileostomy reversal surgery next month and I am just looking to hear from others who have gone before me.

I hope all is well; you have been through enough.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:02 AM   #7
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

Hi. I'm so sorry to read about your ordeal. I don't have any experience myself but I was just curious to know if the original abscess was a side effect of the c-section?

I hope all goes well for you!

Closed Thread