It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

cshmom59 HB User
cshmom59

Thirty years ago I had my first child. 8lb., 12. boy. My OB did a very poor job monitering my labor, and while pushing I got a 4th degree laceration. He did not repair it properly. I developed a recto-vaginal fistula and leaked stool vaginally for 6 months. In the meantime, I became pregnant again, so the fistula could not be repaired. This child was born at 28 weeks by c-section as she was a double footling breach. Strangely the leaking stopped, but I always passed gas and made strange squeaking sounds vaginally....very embarressing.
I learned to live with this and when I had my 3rd child my new OB repaired the opening. Life was good until my 4th pregnancy. During my third trimester I began to leak stool rectally, I developed IBS, and diverticulois. In 1997 I had a sphincterplasty which was extremely painful and the sad part was that I became infected, the procedure failed and I was worse after the surgery than before. It's now August 2010, and I'm beginning to get very depressed over constantly soiling myself, not being able to go out in public without the fear of having an accident, I can't exercise as it causes leakage, etc.
Does anyone share this plight with me. Has anyone had a successful repair for this condition?. I live in New York. Does anyone have a good surgeon that they can recommend. Thank you for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
(female)

penny70 HB User
Re: cshmom59

Dear CSHmom,
I have been through a somewhat similar experience though have been able to get to a doable place for now and hopefully for a long while. I had a tear at the birth of my 2nd and I did fine for 25 years and then began to stain occasionally. I had a sphincteroplasty, then a fistula, then an ileostomy to let the fistula heal. My sphincteroplasty was also painful and also resulted in my having more problems than I had initially. For the last 6 months or so what's worked for me is Align, a probiotic (it didn't really start working until I was on it for 2 months) which makes for much better wiping, 5 fiber (psyllum husk) pills every night and imodium, one a day. I try to empty my bowels in the morning so there's less to worry about during the day and on most days it works. It took me a long time to get to this point, visiting a number of different practioners. I really didn't want to have the surgery again but that may have to happen down the road. I don't know how you have lived with it for so long. I'm in Mass so I can't help you with MD's. I think Cleveland Clinic in Ohio has good success rates with CR issues. There have been a number of people on this site who have had sphincteroplasties and hopefully they will reply also. Many felt getting the right surgeon is important and getting the support you need during the recovery. I have regret I didn't research the surgeon I had. I feel the failure was largely do to his lack of skill and his poor staff which resulted in my impaction and additional surgery. Dr. Jan Wojcik in Springfield, MA. I don't recommend him. Good luck to you. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I try to check in on this site every so often. Penny

Closed Thread