It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

painintherear HB User
Anal Fissure Pain?

Is there anything that can be done for the pain of an anal fissure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
(male)

Blackip HB User
Re: Anal Fissure Pain?

Hi Painintherear

My consultant prescribed Instilagel syringes. It's a local anaesthetic gel which you apply manually a few minutes before BM. It helps with the immediate pain and also helps to stop the throbbing/spasms afterwards.

Those and Ibuprofen as often as allowed helped me best.

Anusol cream (over the counter in UK) claims to help with fissures but I didn't find it much use.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
(male)

cutlass68 HB User

Hi, I am sitting here right now with pain from a chronic fissure. I have been suffering for 4 months now. At first my pain was horrifying following each BM. But through trial and error I have found what works for me. It's not easy though, and I am still considering having a Sphincterotomy done but I am petrified of the surgery, search it for related posts. Here is what I do : Drink lots of water (10-16 glasses 8oz), citrucel tabs twice a day, high fiber foods balanced with protein. Ibuprophen 600-800 mg 2 times a day when pain is bad, Whirlpool tub at 97degrees w/epsom salts as much as needed, and also Nupercainal Cream available behind pharmacy counter not on the shelf.
It sucks but I want to leave surgery as a very last option < edited > I have never had pain so disabling or depressing as this, it sucks

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-04-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
(female)

painintherear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlass68 View Post
Hi, I am sitting here right now with pain from a chronic fissure. I have been suffering for 4 months now. At first my pain was horrifying following each BM. But through trial and error I have found what works for me. It's not easy though, and I am still considering having a Sphincterotomy done but I am petrified of the surgery, search it for related posts. Here is what I do : Drink lots of water (10-16 glasses 8oz), citrucel tabs twice a day, high fiber foods balanced with protein. Ibuprophen 600-800 mg 2 times a day when pain is bad, Whirlpool tub at 97degrees w/epsom salts as much as needed, and also Nupercainal Cream available behind pharmacy counter not on the shelf.
It sucks but I want to leave surgery as a very last option < edited > I have never had pain so disabling or depressing as this, it sucks
I have found that Nupercainal Cream is the best cream I have used, and I have tried them all. This is my second fissure. I can not take Ibuprophen because I have high blood pressure and my doctors have advised me against it. Have been eating high fiber foods and taking stool softners, but every BM starts the vicious cycle all over again daily. Am going to see a colorectal surgeon on Monday but would go today if I could. Just can't get anyone to see me.

Closed Thread