It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
(male)

kyomagi HB User
prunes?

I eat prunes on a regular basis to keep regular, about 10-15 (3 servings) Is there a possiblity i could become dependant on them like a stimulant laxative?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: prunes?

They're full of all sorts of good stuff. I would suggest you add other fruit into your diet as well as bulking fibre.

It keeps your colon "exercised"....in good condition and working to keep things moving through the digestive tract. Compare it to a "laxative" or purgative before a colonoscopy....that forces the digestive tract to quickly expel whatever is in there.

The dependency is when the colon stops functioning on its own and letting the laxative to do the work for it....you eating prunes, fibres, food in general, exercise, etc....forces the colon to DO the work itself.

Too much fruit can cause diarrhea....that's mostly because of the fructose, and some people cannot tolerate much whereas others can.

As long as you're eating a well balanced diet and like prunes, why not. It's also better to eat them than drink the juice..

You should also consider to add a good probiotic...helps maintain good floral balance.

My take on it.
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
(male)

kyomagi HB User

Thanks! But sometimes I do get backed up and take a laxative. Only once a month at the most. Is that too much

Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

backed up for how long? You need to change what you can such as more food intake, fluids, exercise, etc.

What other meds are you taking?

What other supplements?

I would suggest you consider fibre supplements daily and maybe add some bowel stimulants such as coffee to help getting things going rather than a laxative. Yes, I think you relying on that won't afford you to change things enough. You have lots of options, check them online.

q

Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

I was struggling because of my pain meds and My doctor ordered prune juice with metamucil 2x a day. It really did help. Watching our habits is important.

I would not worry about anything natural in your diet interfering with your bowels being dependent like the person before me stated.

And it is always good to mention something to your doctor if you are not sure.
We are all different and sometimes what works for one won't work for another.
Good luck
Madison

Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hello person above me....you misread my post.

q

Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
(male)

kyomagi HB User

heres a silly question, i had a bout of the runs tonight, about 45 minutes after i took my medicine (unrelated to bowels) now the runs only empty the colon and not the stomach right?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

right, and it wouldn't have been the medicine itself causing the diarrhea at this point, but if the medicine causes an increase in body activity in general, then whatever is in the colon would be emptied more quickly.
Think coffee...it can trigger a bm..but only what's in the lower colon at the time.

Look back at yesterday...that should give you a clue as to what might be a culprit in the diarrhea. Some medicine has high sorbitol or other artificial sweeteners if it's liquid.

q

Closed Thread