It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
(male)

setialphasix HB User
Help! Anal fissure and no insurance! Solutions?

Hi, all. My name is Kyle, and I'm a 35-year old college student working on his grad degree. All my life I have eaten the crappiest, unhealthiest foods, and have been a smoker since I was seventeen years old, and have recently (self) diagnosed an anal fissure. It started about two weeks ago after straining with a BM and now I live in fear of my bathroom, a place which was once my reading refuge, lol.

At first I thought it was merely a case of really bad hemmorhoids, so I used Prep-H for about a week with no results. The pain begins almost instantaneously after a BM and can be very uncomfortable for several hours afterwards, but then eventually subsides. I first came to these boards through a Google search for alternatives to healing bad hemmorhoids, and in fact re-diagnosed it as an anal fissure after reading hundreds of very helpful posts here and a few other websites.

I try hot hot baths, and that only helps mildly, and almost as soon as I get out of the tub the pain comes back. Although the pain is EXTREMELY uncomfortable and annoying, I don't think its as excruciating as some people I've read, but it damn sure does put a kink in the several hours following a bathroom visit. I know this problem is my fault, and I'm sure it was caused because of the ridiculously unhealthy lifestyle I've led, but I'm in college, with no insurance and practically no money, I make enough to survive through school, and that's about it.

I've read a BILLION different ideas on natural remedies for these things and I've tried a few, the hot water bath and hydrocortisone cream, neither of which had any effect whatsoever, but I don't know what else to do. I've read about this LIS surgery but can find no information on the cost of it. The pain was EXTREMELY bad the first week, but bearable, whole lot of sleepless nights and trying to get in acceptable positions until the damned thing went away, and this week it seems to have subsided even more, but still kicks after having a BM. I'm getting afraid to eat for fear of a bathroom visit, and I know that's unhealthy, but isn't insanity caused by persistent annoying pain just as unhealthy?

Anyway, I could save up for a procedure if it was ABSOLUTELY necessary, but it would take a long time and I'm a.) not a doctor, so not a HUNDRED percent sure that's what this is, and b.) interested in SOME kind of temporary relief I can give myself at home what with the typical topical creams not working at all.

Does ANYONE know the approximate cost (U.S. dollars) of the LIS procedure, and does anyone have a REAL tried and true home remedy solution for either healing this thing or SERIOUSLY alleviating the aggravation of a BM? I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could give me on this, and I sincerely thank anyone taking the time to respond.

Sincerest gratitude,
Kyle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
(female)

holdingon HB User
Re: Help! Anal fissure and no insurance! Solutions?

Sorry to hear you're going through it. It's awful.

My surgery was billed at about $8000. The insurance company had a negotiated rate of $2500.

What about your school health services for at least an initial diagnosis? That should be included in your tuition. They can write you some type of prescription like nitroglycerin or even just lidocaine (numbing ointment). Or is there a county hospital that you can go to? Or a large for-profit/teaching/university affiliated hospital? Any one of them may have a financial program that can help those who don't have coverage, i.e. sliding scale payment. Talk to their financial services department.

Short of that, all I can suggest is eating at least 20-25 grams of fiber per day. Drink at least 2.5-3 liters of water. And a stool softener.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
(male)

setialphasix HB User

Thank you, holdingon! I've stepped up my fiber a bit these last few days with Metamucil, and have started drinking tons of Crystal Light mix in water as well. The last two days haven't been AS bad, but still very uncomfortable for the most part. I'm hoping it heals on its own, we shall see! Its just awful, I have a REALLY high pain tolerance, but the pain with this is just a persistent, VERY annoying throbbing sort of pain. Can't sit comfortably in any position, can't lie down comfortably, but what's weird is that at night it goes away, and if I don't go to the bathroom the next morning, it will still be okay! I know its unhealthy to not allow yourself a BM, but the bathroom has slowly become an enemy, lol. I'm hoping with the pain having subsided a tiny bit these last few days that its on the road to recovery, but I shattered my arm and collarbone once when I fell almost 100 feet out of a tree when I was younger, and THAT didn't hurt like this! What an annoying pain!

Again, SINCERELY thank you for the response. These boards have some beautiful people with some amazing stories, and mine is HARDLY a reason to complain, but I had to vent somewhere. Its nice to have people who genuinely care to talk to about it!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

Forget the Metamucil and do Konosyl instead. It has more psyllium and works better for me. It is really nasty but it works. It makes your poop the perfect consistency so that you will cause no more damage and the fissure can have a chance to heal.

There is an over the counter ointment for diaper rash called Calmoseptine that has worked for me. (Lidocane made mine worse, it stings really bad.)

Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
(male)

setialphasix HB User

Thank you, tryst! I'll go get some and give it a try! You guys are really great!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
(male)

maddywaddy HB User

Hiya setialphasix. I feel your pain mate!!! I'm going through a bout at the moment myself. I take Metamucil everyday with a glass of water... then a nice amount of water throughout the day. Fortunately, I haven't actually had a prob with hard stools "yet". I don't even have any trouble while doing the toilet thing... except for the initial opening of the sphincter. However, up until recently (as in a day or two) a bit after I finish, the spasms would start. I could spend 6 or more hours trying to be still, quiet and ignore the intense pain. My doctor (here in Australia) told me to use a product called "Rectogesic". I think there may be a different similar product in the USA. Basically, I put a bit of that (follow the instructions) up my bum just after I finish my toilet visit. I've had only two times where a bit of blood came out as well. (I think some people bleed every time)

A few days ago, in desperation, I found another product on the internet called 'Wheatgrass Skin Recovery Cream". I can't say for sure if it's working yet.... My doctor reckons it may be a 'take-advantage-of-us-poor-suckers" kind of thing. Nonetheless, I've decided to give it a try. Heck, I'll try almost anything and I'm sure some of you out there will attest!!! :-) In the three days I've used it, things have gotten 'slightly' better... but I want to give it some more time. :-) I'll put up a post in a week or so with an update!

This has been going on for about a month and a half in my case. My doctor says he has some patients who have had probs with it for 2 years... so I don't feel sooooo bad. hmmmm Anyway, the next step would be some sort of surgery. OUCH! Like you, I'm trying to stay away from THAT!

I say, take it easy and allow yourself to heal. However long or short of time you (we) experience this... it WILL SEEM LIKE CENTURIES! You might like to try and get to a general practitioner to be properly diagnosed and he/she can offer some advice. Hopefully, your situation will be short-lived, mate. FINGERS CROSSED I know I've found comfort in these forums as I've often felt like I must be the ONLY person going through this... and alas, I am not. I WILL post again in a few days to inform of my progress. Stay cool!

Cheers

Mad-

Last edited by moderator2; 09-16-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
(male)

setialphasix HB User

Ciao Mad! Thanks for the words of encouragement, bloke, I went to the website and ordered some to try it out! How are things in NSW? My ex is from there, near Bondi, and we used to go there for visits, love Sydney! I'm just hanging on for the ride at this point. Haven't gone potty in a day now mate, so haven't been able to gauge the pain, but like you, actually GOING doesn't hurt me so much, its AFTERWARDS that's the real pain, no pun intended!

Anyway, I digress, its early in the morning here and I haven't had my coffee yet, but I just wanted to thank you and the others for writing, I ordered the cream, we'll see how it is! Its really nice to have other people to talk to about this, you're right about sometimes thinking you're the only one, and I'm to the point that its embarassing to try and talk about, my friends would probably just make jokes and chalk it up to me trying to be funny, but this situation is FARRRRRRRR from funny! Anyway, YOU take care of yourself, too, and let me know how it goes! Be looking forward to your post!

"How can we dance while the world is turning? How can we sleep while our beds are burning??????"

LONG LIVE THE OIL! You know, I saw he was in Parliament? Is he STILL in Parliament?

Cheers, Mad!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
(male)

maddywaddy HB User

Hiya K-

No worries matey! It will be terrific if the cream helps.

Things in NSW are wonderful... We're having a lovely Spring and soon SUMMER!!! Yay! Bondi is still awesome. :-) For those of you who haven't visited Australia.... you should! After all, Oprah IS coming over soon. ha ha ha

Okay... we must persevere my friends! Do try and have a lovely day/night and kick pain to the kerb! :-) Chat to you again.

Cheers

Mad-

Last edited by moderator2; 09-16-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
(male)

maddywaddy HB User
Cool Re: Help! Anal fissure and no insurance! Solutions?

Hello all. Well, the weekend has finished. I'm doing much better. The umpteen hour spasm pain after toilet visits hasn't been so major this weekend. In fact, it has been quite tolerable and short-lived... when compared to last week.

So, in addition to the daily Metamucil and the 'after-toilet-visits' Rectogesic cream, just last week I also started using the wheatgrass cream. It all seems to be doing 'something'! Yay!!! The initial pain at the beginning of my toilet visits (spoken about in a past post) hasn't happened this weekend. It's ALMOST like a normal toilet visit. he he he

Let's hope the recovery continues and I can stop having to carry this plastic donut cushion with me everywhere I go! :-) Hope you're all doing okay!!

Have a lovely week!

M-

Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User

drink water, water, and did i mention water?

every day take a couple stool softeners

and magnesium tablets

and flax seed oil capsules

and metamucil

use flushable wipes instead of toilet paper

take motrin for pain

try to eat lots of fiber

stop eating crappy unhealthy foods

stay away from caffeine

nuts and popcorn can sometimes be a bad idea too

i suffered for over 2 years before i finally threw in the towel and got LIS surgery done. i wish i would have done it a lot sooner. i have my life back now. i have medicaid so i have no idea how much the surgery cost.

hope you can heal this on your own. if it doesn't go away after a couple months, it probably won't on its own.

Closed Thread