It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
(male)

sxcdaniel HB User
Anal Fistular's and Seton stitch problems. PLEASE HELP

In about March this year (2010) I developed an anal fissure. It was very painful but eventually healed. What happened after was much worse.

I developed a perianal abscess, which was excruciatingly painful all the time. After seeing many doctors who didn't seam to know what the problem was, I went to a sexual health clinic who told me it was an abscess, probably caused by the fissure, and it needed to be drained. I went to hospital and had it drained a few days latter. Instantly the pain (and lump I could feel) was better. I could move again without pain, run, jump, and I began to feel overall better again.

About a month or so after the abscess was drained I noticed a lump where the abscess was. It hurt a little bit but i didnt think anything of it. Soon the lump got more and more painful and pus began to come out of my anus. I went back to the doctor and was told I may have an STD causing the pus or a fistular caused by draining the abscess. After a number of tests I had no STDs so i went into surgery. It turned out that there was another abscess, which they drained, and an anal fistular! They have placed a seton stitch (an elastic band like stitch that cuts the fistular and allows pus to drain outside the body preventing infection) I had this seton placed in me only 8 days ago.

The first 3 days were agony. I bled from the anus, going to the toilet hurt, and I had no energy. Now I have energy, going to the toilet doesn't hurt as much, but the seton stitch still hurts quiet a bit. I find a lot of both blood and pus in my underwear, and I dont know if it is coming from the seton or the anus. The doctor says it is normal for the seton to drain pus so I guess this is actually a good thing. It feels like stitches in the anus (which is basically what it is)

Does anyone know how long it takes for a seton to fix a fistular? I have quiet a lot of swelling in my buttock around where the fistular was, and i still think I can feel the same lump where the fistular was, is this normal? Has anyone had a seton before and was it a SUCCESS? Did it cure your problems? How long do they take to fix a fistular? I am in more pain now with the seton than what I was in before surgery, is this normal? (remember its only been 8 days since surgery). It feels like for me, that this problem has been ongoing and will never end (began in March, it is now September)

I am seeing the doctor in 4 weeks time to check on how it is going. She said the seton stitch needs to stay in for longer than 4 weeks. I feel sorry for anyone else who is going through this pain too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Anal Fistular's and Seton stitch problems. PLEASE HELP

Hi sxcdaniel, because I have had a fistula I did some internet research on this and if you do the same you will find all kinds of different times and results. I wish the best for you.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
(male)

rxj HB User

Hi,

I feel your pain, I had perianal abscess at the end of June which became an anal fistular. I had surgery last Wednesday 22nd September 2010 where by a Seton was inserted, I it is believe a soft vessel loop placement procedure.

After the first couple of days I couldn't feel the seton or even know it was there.

Unfortunately today it has become tender and painful after less than a week and I can feel the lump which I believe is the seton, this lump is where the original cut was done to drain the original perianal abscess.

My understanding from the research I have done is that a local inflammatory reaction (I'm assuming this is the pain I have started feeling) occurs with the adjacent tissues which initiates fibrosis (scarring of the skin) to help maintain the sphincter muscule prior to having another fistulotomy.

However I will ask my doctor in the next two weeks if this is the case or I might call him earlier if it continues to be painful since I'm even having trouble walking long distances since my bottom starts to ache.

Hopefully someone can confirm that the above assumption is correct.

Cheers,

rxj.

Last edited by rxj; 09-28-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
(male)

yakka HB User

Hey

I went through this process a few years ago, my seton stitch was in for 4 months..!!

It had to be removed at the end of the process with the remaining area laid open.

I have had no problems since.

Good luck

Yakka

Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
(male)

patricktuohy HB User

i had an op for an anal fistula on 22/10/10. i had a seton stitch fitted. its now 8/11/10 and its really ******* me off. i cant get comfortable. it irritates all the time. i go back on 14/1/11 to hopefully to have it removed. i cant go back to work because of the type of work i do(prison officer). whats really annoying is i cannot train. i am used to doing so every day.

The following user gives a hug of support to patricktuohy:
rxj (12-16-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
(male)

patricktuohy HB User

due to pain from seton stitch i went to see my doc. He advised me i had an infection. Wonderful, thats all i need. I thought the discharge was part of healing process. Anyway now on a course of antibiotics as well as codiene, nurofen and paracetamol.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #7
(male)

patricktuohy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricktuohy View Post
due to pain from seton stitch i went to see my doc. He advised me i had an infection. Wonderful, thats all i need. I thought the discharge was part of healing process. Anyway now on a course of antibiotics as well as codiene, nurofen and paracetamol.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
(male)

rxj HB User

Hi,

I hope you get better soon, it is bad enough having the seton stitch never mind an infection as well. I thought back in September (see earlier post) that I had the seton inserted but actually they just performed another fistulotomy.

However that didn't work and I had surgery again on Wednesday 1st December. This time I had the seton stitch procedure. So far so good still a bit sore and now it is starting to itch which is a little uncomfortable. I found having hot baths at night to relieve some of the pain. The seton will be in for 2 to 3 months :-(

Cheers,

rxj.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
(female)

soresy HB User

hi, i had a seton technique with fistulotomy,,,ouch i am five days postop and for the last teo days the seton has really been bothering me, hope it is just the seton stitch and nothing else,,,,

Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
(male)

rxj HB User

Hi, I would suggest going back to your surgeon/doctor to have it examined. Unfortunately mine has been sore on and off since December 2010 and as a result I have been on antibotics to eliminate any potential infection and reduce the pain. I'm looking forward to having it removed in April this year.

Cheers rxj

Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
(male)

SD83 HB User

How long is a seton supposed to stick out from the opening?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
(female)

minnie43 HB User

hiya ive had my fistula for 26 years which leaks every day i get through 100 dressing a week had 4 op and still have it so i know what you have been going through

The following user gives a hug of support to minnie43:
sjb (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi on a subsequent surgeon visit I was told there is no tear or hole and the fistula had healed to just a scar even though there is one symptom left. She said unless more symptoms appear not to go back to her. Hydrotherapy was done to bust any boil and help with infection. After major infection was gone. Leaking bowel movement into the tract can be prevented with a water balloon plug wrapped in plastic wrap ( the tail of it being long enough to pull the whole thing out and olive oil used to insert between bowel movements, using extremely clean procedure ( a shower head after each one). The hand is wrapped with a sandwich bag to prevent contamination. The procedure is described elsewhere on the boards. The medical profession however does not recommend this however because of its potential hazzards.

Closed Thread