It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
(female)

raishi HB User
Question Enteritis (?) day 5.. emergence of blood in diarrhea.. not sure what to think

Hi there,
I'm 21 years old and living in Japan, and this is the first time I've ever experienced (or heard of) of what I've been told is Enteritis.

Background:

I woke up on Tuesday (the 21st) with a sudden fever and soreness but no other symptoms. This progressed into stomach pains and continued fever of around 102~ and headache the next day. Thinking it was the flu, I called my boss who insisted I go to the hospital to get checked out.. A blood test dismissed the flu idea and I ended up getting X-Rayed, CT scanned, and ultrasounded multiple times while they tried to figure what was going on, thinking it might be Appendicitis, but aside from swelling of my large intestine and what sounds like the area in general, the right signs weren't there, so I was temporarily dismissed home on a liquid diet until the next meeting.

That night my fever rocketed up to a bit over 104, but we were told by the doctor when I called that it turns out it was Enteritis, and that the fever was normal and not to be worried about.
My fever has since pretty much disappeared, as well as the headaches, and the stomach symptoms calmed a bit as a result of a day of liquid diet and ingesting only items suggested like toast, noodles, broth, cooked egg, cooked vegetables since then. I find my symptoms calm whenever I am able to eat a solid meal with liquids, although my intestines still seem to be having a rough time.

This morning, and ever since, however, I have been constantly feeling the urge to go to the bathroom, usually letting out very little. The urge usually comes on strong as if I suddenly really have to go, but when I do, very little comes out, and I have the strong urge to go long after I have gone what I can. The stool is sometimes less watery now and a darker brown/more normal color than it was yesterday, but is more a strange jelly-ish consistancy rather than soft feces..

I have also noticed small amounts of red blood in the toilet, which I have since realized tends to come out only when I strain, and am wondering if it is the result of an internal hemorrhoid or merely a raw behind from all this toilet time.

This would be my third day of diarrhea, although I very rarely release very much..

The only thing I can think of that could have caused this is some raw egg yolk and partially raw liver I consumed on the Friday evening before I came down sick, though the rest of the party also consumed it and everyone was fine (this is fairly common fare here..! ).

I plan to talk with my doctor, but I was also curious to get some opinions from the other side of the hemisphere as well.
I'm just interested to see if this sounds "normal" for Enteritis?
Is there something I should be doing differently?
Does the blood I have noticed today sound like something I need to worry about?

I have had issues with constipation on and off for a number of years, but they recently seemed to be working out with my recent addition of a daily dose of yogurt and prunes to my diet and some lifestyle changes. Not sure if that could play any part, but!

Just getting a bit tired out, and would truly appreciate any possible advice or tips or wisdom you all could offer me from your side of the world.
Sorry for the length of this! Thank you so much for reading, and thank you in advance for anything at all you could have to share with me.

Last edited by raishi; 09-25-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Enteritis (?) day 5.. emergence of blood in diarrhea.. not sure what to think

Hi Raishi! The language problem can be helped with an interpreter. Usually the hospitals and doctors over here are reuired to have one by law. Well I can tell you that if your anus is raw from all that diarrhea mine was helped by merely useing cotton instead of toilet tissue, patting instead of wiping, a wet pat after to take away caustic bm and then followed by my favorite olive oil to help keep future diarrhea off my butt and make the next wipe easier. But the blood could also be caused by your intestines since they are painful, I found a heating pad to be helpful with that for myself but don't necesarily take that as advice. I have used the heating pad for 2 days at a time when needed. Of course you could see your favorite health professional in case there is something incredibly serious. They usually tell us over here anytime you see blood to see the professionals. If there is a hole in yourself and things leak out into your abdominal cavity....it could be bad.

Last edited by sjb; 09-25-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
(female)

raishi HB User
Re: Enteritis (?) day 5.. emergence of blood in diarrhea.. not sure what to think

Hello! Thanks so much for your quick reply! Yeah, I'll probably give my doctor a call.. just wanted to wait it out for a bit and get some opinions of some of the folks on these boards who may have some similar experiences to share. I will give your recommendations a try. Thank you!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...it could be a few things going on, but you do need to have stool samples done to make sure you don't have any invaders.

Insist on that part.....because of your consumption of raw eggs and liver...best to make sure you don't have anything.

It could be coincidental regarding the food and your symptoms, however....yours sound a lot like mine before I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.

With the stool samples, you would be wise, at least, to ask the doc to take a look at your rectum to see if there is inflammation, hemmies or whatever.

Please keep us posted of what's happening.

q

Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
(female)

raishi HB User

Hi quincy,

Thanks for your reply. =) It looks like the blood has disappeared today, making me think it may just have been a hemorrhoid? after all, but I will make sure to suggest a stool test (although my stool has returned to a rather liquid state at this time..). I didn't remember the raw liver and egg consumption until after I had gone home and racked by brain, and forgot to mention it the last time I went in as well.. I will make sure to mention that tomorrow too, and update with how it all goes!

Thanks again!

R

Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
(female)

raishi HB User

Hello!

Just a quick update on things. Went to the doctors today and a blood test revealed that the inflammation has pretty much cleared up. I had cut the white bread, egg yolks, and crackers out of my diet like the nurse suggested over the phone two days ago, and had been eating primarily udon noodles, cooked spinach and egg whites. A bit harsh on the system nutritionally, but otherwise things really took an uphill turn in those two days. =)
After a more proper meal, I'm feeling pretty darn good, and my intestines/stomach are feeling much closer to normal. Looks like maybe it was "just" a case of Enteritis after all..

Thank you both for your replies! I appreciate it very much.
Best to you both.

R

Last edited by raishi; 09-27-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:18 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi Raishi! You are welcome!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #8
(female)

dhill2020 HB User

Raishi, When you mentioned the jelly-like substance it reminded me of a bout of
Colitis that my dachshund went through. It was a acute condition & she too had some blood in her stools. When I changed her diet, her bowels settled down. I know that dogs & humans are very different but I thought I would mention it to you in hopes it helps you to identify your illness. The jelly-like stuff is the inflamation of the inside of your bowel. I just read your other post, glad it is better today.

Closed Thread