It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

rczock HB User
Is this IBS?

Hi All,

I have been having serious bowel problems for over a month now. I Have stomach cramps so bad and the need to run to the bathroom only to poop out a small amount of bloody mucusy stool. I went to a gastro dr and he prescribed cipro and flagyl which seemed to help but a week later everything came back. Now I am cramping at night and going to the bathroom, also as soon as I hit the floor in the morning I am running to the bathroom. I am having a colonoscopy in the morning, but I am worried sick that I have something really bad. Does any of these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Is this IBS?

No, doesn't sound like IBS....IBS doesn't cause blood.

Your symptoms sound like mine...I have ulcerative colitis. But Crohn's disease affecting the colon/rectum willl produce the same symtptoms.

There are other inflammatory bowel disorders such as microscopic colitis (pseudomembranous colitis and collagenous colitis)...as well as infection such as c. difficile that could cause your symtpoms.

Please make sure the doc will take lots of biopsies (before he puts you to sleep...or you could ask for twilight sleep and watch the monitor -- that's the best part for ma, anyway) rather than just a look-see.

If you do have rectal inflammation, I would suggest you don't take prednisone if offered, but one of the 5-ASA medications such as Asacol as well as rectal retention enema Rowasa.

Let us know how the c-scope goes.

Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of what's really going on with you....but it's truly awesome you're getting a c-scope done soon and the doc isn't consistently telling you "it's hemorrhoids"..without taking an actual look.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
(female)

rczock HB User
Unhappy Re: Is this IBS?

Hi Quincy,

You were right, he said I had ulcerative colitis, he did however give me a script for prednisone, I told him I didn't want to take it. I am already on 4 mil of medrol for RA and was weening myself off of it. He took biopsies and I go back in 1 week to find out more I guess.....I was a little dissappointed that I didn't get more info from him.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

did he take lots of biopsies? What's the extent of your UC...meaning throughout or limited?

It's disheartening to hear pred was the initial med suggested....I have a hate-on for that, so I am biased.

I was diagnosed almost 22 years ago, and I've been through some very tough flares....I've never been on pred.

You should really be on an oral 5ASA med mesalamine...Asacol is the usual first line. As well, a rectal medication should be given, usually a 5ASA mesalamine retention enema....in the US, it's Rowasa. The suppositories shouldn't be used as a treatment...my opinion...they have their use, however, for supportive in conjunction with the enemas and for maybe tapering.

Do the homework on UC and 5ASA medications. I cannot post links, but knowing what YOU have, its extent, symptoms, medications, support, etc is all important.

As well, arm yourself with questions for your appointment so that you can be proactive in your care.

thank you for the update.

Oh....I also would like to suggest you consider probiotics...I use Ultimate Flora Critical Care as well as Primadophilus Reuteri. Both at bedtime about an hour or so after my other meds and supplements.

Definitely keep me updated on your next appt.

quincy

Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

rczock HB User

Thanks for the info, I am definetly going to have alot of questions when i see him on 10/4. I was already taking probiotics for IBS but now I will change to what you have suggested. Will let you know more as I find out.

Closed Thread