HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   I could really use some help. (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/770237-i-could-really-use-some-help.html)

KJacob 09-28-2010 03:21 PM

I could really use some help.

Ive been suffering from some pretty bad constipation for quite awhile now and I have had the feeling of my bowel movements being incomplete. I have seen a doctor who gave me a rectal exam, toke x-rays, and had me go get blood tests. All of which said I'm fine. However he did ask me to see a gastro doctor just to make sure and I made an appointment but sadly I can't be seen by him for a little over a week at the soonest. Oh and for whatever reason it's always easier to have a bowel movement in the morning maybe like an hour after I wake up.

This all kind of started out of no where one night like almost a month ago with diarrhea, adominal pain and some blood in my stool. The bleeding stopped the next morning, the pain is now gone, and I haven't had diarrhea for quite awhile.

Now A day or two after seeing my doctor I noticed a small bump on the bottom of my anus and have had some rectal bleeding. Or well some blood on toilet paper and the spot where the bump is seemed to feel really irritated. It's been bothering me since then but the bleeding stopped. It is normal color except inside my anus appears to be more red then usually mostly right in that spot where the lump is. I have been straining quite a lot and suspect it's a hemorrhoid.

I had noticed this small soft bump before then but it's never bothered me to much and it slipped my mind at the doctors. I kind of assume he'd of noticed it during the rectal exam. But guess not.

Anyways I want to know what other people might think of my problems while I wait to see the doctor.

On a positive note I was told that due to my age and family history and such that cancer and other serious problems extremely unlikely.

Could it be some kind of infection? It doesn't seem to get any worse or better day to day.

Any input would be appreciated. I'd like to hopefully see a response that could help me worry less until I see the doctor in like a week and a half.

quincy 09-28-2010 03:45 PM

Re: I could really use some help.

It sounds like IBS with constipation and diarrhea....but the only way to actually know is to have a colonoscopy done and have the anus/rectum checked thoroughly.

But, if you have blood IN or alongslde the stool, it's not IBS, unless you have an internal hemmie and it's ripped open while straining and then during the last parts of a bm, it slides along and the blood goes along with it.

The other possibility is a fissure (cut in the anus) that's opening during bms and drips into the toilet and gets on the toilet paper while wiping. A fissure can become infected and create a bump...have you taken a look-see?

To check for infection, swabs should be done.

In general, IBS is like a bipolar colon...it's out of control one way or the other. It's a mechanical dysfunction, not organic in the way of a disease, infection or other. But if one has anything else going on in the colon or rectum, the mechanical functioning can definitely be disrupted.

Regarding your age and the likelihood of cancer...while it's comforting, it won't change whether one has it or not...so checking for polyps, etc with a scope is always a good thing. If all is clear, you won't need one for many years, and at least you have a good baseline regarding results.

How is your diet? Some foods can definitely cause diarrhea or constipation as can eating too much or not eating enough.
Are you getting enough fibre through foods or supplements?
Are you on any medications? Some can definitely cause constipation.

You should consider probiotics...there are many high quality ones out there.

Create a list of questions to ask the GI when you see him and get him to explain exactly what he sees when he takes a look. Enquire or request a colonoscopy and have biopsies done. If all is good...then your diagnosis will probably be IBS. It's a pain to deal with sometimes, but being in the know makes it much easier to live with.

Hope this helps....hang tough, been where you are, and I know the waiting is the most difficult.

q

KJacob 09-28-2010 05:19 PM

Re: I could really use some help.

Well the Diarrhea mostly stopped now I'm just constipated for the most part.

The blood has been on the toilet paper only with the exception of the one time. It seemed to come specifically from the little lump. So I thought it might of been caused by a fissure or I have a small external Hemorrhoid from straining so much lately. I have had some very minor bleeding from around the same spot before but only when straining and very rarely. But never in the toilet just on tiny bright red streaks on the toilet paper or small spots of it. It usually would happen along with a kind of paper cut or stinging feeling that would go away a few minutes after my bowel movements.

Maybe it is a infected fissure as you said. But I'm not sure how to check.

The bump kind of looks like a small part of my anus is swollen and not something that is on it or just close to it.

As for the scope chances are I'll end up getting a colonoscopy if nothing is found wrong at my next appointment. I'd assume it's the next obvious thing to do.

My diet is never really that great. But since this started Ive made an effort to eat better and try more fiber. Iver been using Miralax and have tried metamucil a few times.

Stool softener was suggested but it's not hard.

Oh and thanks for the response. ^^