It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User
Unhappy Hemorrhoid questions - first time with this and scared

Hi all,

About six months ago I was DX with acid reflux. While that seems to be better under control, I go thru these periods of having my stomach be a bit out of wack. It will rumble a lot, and I will have diarrhea one day and be constipated the next. I also have a very bad habit of sitting on the toilet for very long periods of time (like an hour) waiting for something to happen, straining, etc. About 3 weeks ago I went thru another bout of this, and last Monday (7 days ago) I found what I believe to be a hemorrhoid. Its about the size of a raisin, on the outside right near the anal opening. Its uncomfortable, sometimes sore and sometimes not, a little bit of burning feeling, and not really itchy. There is no blood, but a few weeks ago I did see a small amount of blood after a bowel movement.

Upon finding this last Monday, I went over to the Urgent Care doctor because I had myself in a good panic over it. Of course the only doctor there is a very young male (I'm a 40 year old female). I was pretty humiliated, he examined it, stuck his finger up there to check for blood (none) and told me it was a hemorrhoid. Since then, I have started drinking lots of water, taking Benefiber several times per day, eating fruits and salads and chicken and brown rice. I have had a few bowel movements since then and they weren't horrible or very painful. I've also soaked in Epsom salt baths once per day and that does feel better. I also have put some witch hazel on it.

I saw my regular doctor on Friday and she confirmed I'm doing everything right and it should go away. She did not examine it.

I felt better for a few days and it felt like it had shrunk a little, but today it feels worse again. Not bigger, but sore, and a little bit burning. My stomach feels very gassy - could this be from the Benefiber? I also feel a slight pressure down there, like I kinda have to go, but not really.

I'm scared and humiliated about this entire thing. I bought some healing oils from Natural Healing Oils that I read about online, will start that today.

Can anyone tell me if this will go away, or will it be here forever? I've read some horror stories online and now I'm scared of needing surgery. I have no idea if its a thrombosis - how would I know that?

I work in an office and sit all day - I'm trying to get up as much as possible.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts. I'm really scared about this whole thing and just want it to go away.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User
Re: Hemorrhoid questions - first time with this and scared

Is there anyone that give some advice here? I am still feeling the exact same way, no better and no worse either.

I am just concerned over how long this will last?

Thank you!

Carrie

Old 10-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

As far as I know, they never go away but they do fluctuate as to size. You get a lot of diarrhea or get constipated and they will puff up. It is nothing more than an enlarged blood vessel that fills up with blood when the blood flow is blocked by excessive straining. I have several thanks to 2 big babies both in the posterior position and long, long labors(Posterior is them being born face up instead of face down like normal).

So I avoid getting constipated and treat diarrhea immediately. Witch Hazel does a good job soothing them when they itch. You will know when they get "thrombosis" as they are rock hard and you can feel the blood clot inside of the hemorrhoid....it feels like a marble in there. If it's outside the anus, it hurts like he!! to sit down. If it's inside, then it may hurt and itch but nowhere near as bad. I have found that if I take plain old aspirin, 1 or 2 tablets, twice a day, is enough to get the clot of dissolve faster than if you do nothing. You can get a donut shaped pillow at medical supply drug stores that make sitting more comfortable.

I too do not want surgery as I have other medical problems that make surgery a real risk for me so I watch my diet and monitor my "roids". I've never had one bleed really badly so I'm hoping that doesn't happen but prepared for it if it does.

Hope this helps.................Jenny

Old 10-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your reply. I've been doing so much reading online that I have pretty much scared the ***** out of myself. No pun intended

From what I can tell I just have the one on the outside, not sure if its external or a prolapsed internal. It appears to be coming out of the hole and is kinda hanging, the best way to describe it is that it looks like a little tongue sticking out at me. Its about the size of a raisin. It doesn't bleed and only hurts a lot of I touch it. Its uncomfortable and a bit sore because I sit all day at a desk, but I try to get up and walk around whenever I can. I dont think its thrombosed but I thought those kind HAD to have surgery. Is that not true?

I'm sticking to a diet of mostly fruits and veggies, tea, water, flavored water, yogurt, Fiber-One granola bars, chicken and brown rice. I'm putting Benefiber in a lot of stuff but I think its making me very gassy so I'm not sure if I should switch to something else like Metamucil or Citrucel.

I have an appointment with a Naturopathic doctor on Tuesday. She seems to "specialize" in stomach and bowel problems, so I'm hoping she may have some advice or maybe some natural solutions that will help. I would be more than happy to share whatever she recommends with you and anyone on here. I know that some homeopathic and natural remedies can be very helpful but I'd rather hear it from someone who has experience and real knowledge and not just be reading it on the internet. I've read about Venapro and Neo-Heal but I'm nervous about trying all sorts of stuff and throwing money away not knowing if any of the ingredients even help hemorrhoids.

I also feel like I have pain on the right side of my buttock and my hip but I'm not sure if I'm making things worse because I've been laying on my side. To make matters worse, I have panic disorder so this is all really flipping me out.

Thanks again for listening and taking the time to reply.

Carrie

Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
(female)

Samm1130 HB User

Cathy, I know this might be a late reply but I'm in dire need of help.I too have a hemorrhoid,however I'm not sure whether it is external or prolapsed too, but how you described yours is about the same as mine. I was wondering if you had any advise for me at all! I'm only eighteen and I've been using preparation h for about a week
Now, since the day a found it. It doesn't seem to be going away and when it does get small to the point where I can hardly feel it, it blows up again! I haven't seen a doctor yet; i wanted to see how to cream went but i'm getting concerned now. Do you have any words of wisdom for me?

Last edited by Samm1130; 01-15-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
(male)

gearup727 HB User

I would ask your doctor to prescribe some Pramosone 1% cream. It has hydrocortisone in it and will help shrink your hemorrhoid. Also, I would delay going the bathroom until you feel like you are ready to go. Don't sit around on the toilet. After you go you may consider washing your bottom in the shower. If you clean your rectum out it keeps your piles from getting irritated. Also, sit down for a while and relax and allow your rectum to retract and recover after a bowl movement. If you have a hemorrhoid sticking out use some of the cream and push it back up in there with your finger.
I had one hemorrhoid that gave me a lot of trouble. It would thrombosis (form a clot inside the vein) and protrude out of my anus. I had a couple of doctors make an incision and remove the clot a couple of times. That would relieve the episode I was having but the vein was still there. I finally went to a colorectal surgeon and in 12 minutes he made an incision along the hemorrhoid, sutured it off and clipped it away. It took around two weeks for the incision to heal but it was the best thing I've ever had done. A regular doctor will be reluctant to do it but this seemed like a walk in the park for a the colorectal surgeon that fixed me up.
Now I don't have any problems any more. After I have a bowl movement I hop in the shower with one of those disposable douches and rinse out my bottom and I'm good for the day. If my bottom is feeling irritated I use a little of the cream which will tighten everything up. Hopefully, some of what has worked for me might work for you.

Good Luck,

Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
(male)

KazSeigharth HB User

Consciousness about Hemorrhoid Symptoms is significant to one and all. If these symptoms are seen inside your entire body, it is an indication to seek out quick treatment. The hemorrhoid symptoms vary from person to person according to the type of hemorrhoids. Exterior hemorrhoids symptoms are characterized by swellings on the outer aspect from the anal region, typically accompanied by itching, discomfort, bleeding lumps or piles and swollen veins. Internal hemorrhoids that happen beneath the skin are characterized by internal bleeding especially even though passing stool and are accompanied by pain and discomfort. A change in bowel movements can be noticed in most cases.

Last edited by KazSeigharth; 02-02-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added some info, exploring the forum

Closed Thread