It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

GlowGal HB User
Ischiorectal Abscess or just swelling?

Hi, all. About 2 years ago, I experienced some excrutiating pain on the left side of my anus. The pain was so bad that I couldn't find any position comfortable. I also had a fever and the area was red, hot to the touch and swollen. When I went to the hospital, it was diagnosed as an ischiorectal abscess that was promptly drained.

Two days ago, I noticed a painful swelling near the site of where my abscess was. I went to the hospital last night but was told that it's not an abscess...yet. I was given IV antibiotics and sent home with a prescription of antibiotics for 7 days and told to have regular sitz baths in hot water with salt. The doctor said that due to how hard it was, that there was no pus or blood inside and that cutting into it wouldn't do anything.

My dilemma or fear is that the area IS filled with blood and pus and if it isn't drained, I'll end up getting a systemic infection. I should note that I don't have a fever and the area is not red or hot to the touch and I am able to sit and walk with minimal discomfort.

Should I continue with the antibiotics and sitz baths and see how I am in a few days, or should I go back to the hospital for a 2nd opinion?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
(female)

MissChooch HB User
Re: Ischiorectal Abscess or just swelling?

How are you doing now, any better? If you aren't experiencing low grade fevers and it's not warm to the touch, I would say it doesn't sound like infection. Did the ER or your doctor perform blood tests to see if you have an elevation in white blood cells? Were you given an explanation for why you are having pain in that same area? I, too, had an anal abscess several years ago and have not had problems at the surgical site. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread