It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2002, 09:37 AM   #1

LW HB User
Help! Wanting answers for my 4 year old son!

My son has been having Bowel/Intestinal problems for approx. 11 month and counting now. Aug 2001 my son had severe distended abdomen and was in alot of pain. We took him to emerg. and there he vimited alot of green vile smelling fluid they took x-rays and admitted him and said he possibly had an evolving blockage and sent him home nest day. Every day since he bloats up and has diarreah 3-4- times a day, alot of mucas and it floats and sometimes has pain in his upper groin area low abdomen. He tires very easily and complains about his arms and legs hurting he weighs 34-35 lbs and is not gaining he is very skinny below the 50 % according to his growth chart. Just recently he has been having diarreah for 1-2 weeks daily and then no b/m's for 2-3 days and then one very large b/m and then the cycle begins again. We have had x-rays, ultrasounds, upper GI, blood work, stool tests, Celiac Test and Sweat Chloride. Most results have come back nothing significant other than: appedix very prominant and in centre of abdomen, they could not veiw pancreas too much gasses, Ferritin slightly high, creatine low, ESR high @ 18 s/b 10-13 for his age, Sweat Chloride @ 53 being retested on 26th Docs think this is high may have CF, same doc thinks he is just constipated and suggested mineral oil. Nothing has changed. Very exhausted, want my baby fixed or just to know whats going on to help him, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry so long.
Thx LW

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: Help! Wanting answers for my 4 year old son!

Hi,

Sorry to hear about all your problems.

As far as blood tests go, you didn't mention white blood cell count which would indicate infection. However, the fact that his ESR level is significantly high for his age, would indicate that he has some inflammation going on in his belly/bowels.

Has a doc fully examined his belly and done ultrasound scans? Has he also had further bowel investigations such as a colonoscopy or a bariam enema? It's just that it does fit an inflammatory bowel condition picture, such as colitis. This would have this awful diarrhea with mucus and the constant belly pains and bloating.

You could try seeing if he will eat a little live yogurt to put some good bacteria into his gut. This contains lactobacillus and could help when he has a bloated belly.

Other than inflammatory causes, it could be that he has picked up some kind of infection is his belly that is just not clearing and for which he could need antibiotics to clear. Some types of food poisonings caused by bacteria can hang around if not treated properly.

Hope this helps?

Good luck

Old 06-17-2002, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Sorry about your problems.

To make your son's or anybody's GI system work properly you have to eat or intake fiber. Metamucil sells some wafers(cookies) that contain psyllium husk that he could eat. JUst drink enough water.It works with diarrhea as well as constipation and is a bowel regulator---also safe to take daily.

I think the bacteria in his gastro tract is out of balance---. Yogurt that has active acidophilus is good and also is "Probiotica"

God Bless---Harry

Old 06-17-2002, 10:15 AM   #4

LW HB User

Thank you for replying.

He has not had a colonscopy or Barium Enema however i have talked to our Doc. about this. She wants to wait for the Sweat Chloride 2nd test to be done first.

He has had a full Ultrasound done and it should nothing irregular other than no results for his pancreas becasue they could not see it for all the gasses.

They have tested his stool at least five different times and no bacteria shows up. They are however doing a test for small collon bacteria which apperently has to be done through a breath test becasue it is good bacteria just possibly in the wrong area.

His white blood cell count was 9.9 which they say is normal. His keytone was high and basophils were also high. Do you happen to know if a level of 53 could be Cystic Fibrosis with a sweat chloride test. Apparently normal levels should range between 10-35 and naything over 60 is conclusive to having it?

Still guessing.

Old 06-17-2002, 11:02 PM   #5
Inactive

mlgable HB User

There is a constipation/GI clinic for children in Milwaukee WI. Please see my post about it farther down on this board or on the childrens health board. It is titled childrens constipation clinic. Perhaps you could contact them and see if they can be of help.

Old 06-18-2002, 03:15 AM   #6

LW HB User

Thanks, but we're from Ontario Canada.

I'll have to check around here for something similar.

Old 06-18-2002, 08:03 AM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User

It never hurts to call the clinic and see what they can do for you. They may be able to make some suggestions or even know of some good resources in Canada. Don't throw out this valuable link just becuase it is not close to you. Call or write and see what they can do for you.

Closed Thread