It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2001, 10:54 AM   #1

shrob HB User
mucous

A few weeks ago I consumed a total of 20 laxatives in a span of 2 days. 6 Fiber, 6-8 chocolated Ex-Lax, & 6 Equilactin.
I HAVE NEVER TAKEN A LAXATIVE IN MY LIFE!!!
My body has experienced many changes, such as
bowel changes, dehydration, abdominal pain. I've been told I threw my digestive system in shock and that my body would eventually return to normal. With a daily dose of a bowl of raisin bran and an occasional apple I have seen improvements in bowel habits and the elimination of other causal effects. However, this morning I noticed an enormous amount of mucous AND PHLEGM on/in my stool. I'm quite concerned because it seems when I experience some normalcy something else arises!
Does anyone have any recommendations to set my mind at ease? <p>[This message has been edited by shrob (edited 01-04-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2001, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: mucous

Hi,
To get your body back to normal it would be best to drink alot of water (at least 8 glasses daily) and take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil. The Fiber will help you clean out your GI tract. It is a bulk stool forming agent that helps your colon to function properly and produce regular BMs and its safe to take daily. All fiber is not alike--some absorbs water and some doesn't absorb much.Metamucil is mostly a bowel regulator that absorbs liquid.

It's normal for your system to produce some mucus but there are alot of foods that produce too much like milk, sodas,spicy food and processed foods.You should avoid these for awhile.
Take Care---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2001, 03:31 PM   #3

shrob HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harry:
<B>
Thanks for the quick response and information, Harry!
I forgot to mention that my stool has been somewhat normal for the last couple of weeks with the exception of this latest episode!!!
Should I proceed with your recommending plenty of water and metamucil and is it ordinary for laxatives to cause so much trouble?
Additionaly, with each arising symptom I worry tremendously the worse is happening. Could stress and worrying be associated with my disorder?
Thanks in Advance
Hi,
To get your body back to normal it would be best to drink alot of water (at least 8 glasses daily) and take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil. The Fiber will help you clean out your GI tract. It is a bulk stool forming agent that helps your colon to function properly and produce regular BMs and its safe to take daily. All fiber is not alike--some absorbs water and some doesn't absorb much.Metamucil is mostly a bowel regulator that absorbs liquid.

It's normal for your system to produce some mucus but there are alot of foods that produce too much like milk, sodas,spicy food and processed foods.You should avoid these for awhile.
Take Care---Harry </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 01-04-2001, 10:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi shrob,
Laxatives can cause all sorts of problems when used frequently.I think you just took too much and you had a bad reaction.

I am a great believer in taking a fiber supplement that contains psyllium husks----you can get it in capsule form from health food stores and powder form from other manufactures. I like and use Metamucil. It is believed that only about 2/3 of the people do not get enough fiber in their diet.It controls both constipation and even diarrhea. C and D can cause all sorts of disorders ---from hemorroids to cancer.Our GI tract was developed over thousands of years to handle more bulk/fiber that is not in the diet most of us eat today. Colon cancer has become the #2 killer only following lung cancer ---in the cancer area. IBS is the second leading cause of missing work---the common cold is # 1.

I think doing such a simple think as taking a fiber supplement and drinking water should be done by everyone. Then you don't have to be concerned about ---well---did I get enough fiber today or was it the right kind? It is something you can control and having healthy gentle bowel movements is just a good thing to do!!!As you know we eat and drink alot of junk that you need to get rid out of your system. Your GI system is working all the time--Keep it Healthy!!! I have been posting on this board(old one) well over a year and my messages are the same.One of the regulars, Angie E, calls me "The Fiber King".
God Bless----Harry

Old 03-13-2001, 12:28 PM   #5

Jeannie HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shrob:
<B>A few weeks ago I consumed a total of 20 laxatives in a span of 2 days. 6 Fiber, 6-8 chocolated Ex-Lax, & 6 Equilactin.
I HAVE NEVER TAKEN A LAXATIVE IN MY LIFE!!!
My body has experienced many changes, such as
bowel changes, dehydration, abdominal pain. I've been told I threw my digestive system in shock and that my body would eventually return to normal. With a daily dose of a bowl of raisin bran and an occasional apple I have seen improvements in bowel habits and the elimination of other causal effects. However, this morning I noticed an enormous amount of mucous AND PHLEGM on/in my stool. I'm quite concerned because it seems when I experience some normalcy something else arises!
Does anyone have any recommendations to set my mind at ease?

[This message has been edited by shrob (edited 01-04-2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
: I experienced mucous in my stool several years ago, and after several test including a colonoscopy I was advised by my doctor that it was generated by stress... if this persists I would recommend you have the stool sample checked.. for your piece of mind.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
(female)

lulu28 HB User

Why did you take all those laxatives in the first place?

Closed Thread