It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2002, 07:30 AM   #1
Inactive

SherryA HB User
Bowel movements every 2 weeks

Ok,.....this might seem strange to everyone, but I only have a bowel movement about every two weeks. Even then it isn't massive or anything. I've been this way my whole life(37 years), and it always seemed strange to me when people were talkings about going everyday.
I can go after 3 days, or go after 3 weeks. I'm saying 2 weeks on average. How weird is this. I'm not bloated, I don't have cramping, and I pretty much feel fine. I'm also pretty healthy. I wonder how this can be, but it is. I eat salads and veggies most every day,
And i drink about 4 -5 glasses of pure water a day. I limit salt, and don't drink soda or coffee anymore.

Any body have any suggestion on how I might increase the frequency. I keep reading metamucil, but will this bloat me? Or should I leave well enough alone and not bother about it?

Old 01-23-2002, 08:58 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Re: Bowel movements every 2 weeks

I would consider adding metaucil, citurcel or fibertabs to your daily routine. Although so long as your stools are not hard and dry frequency shouldn't be a real problem. You do need to increase your water intake a bit more too. Be sure to mention this though to your doctor when you have your annual physical or the next time you need to see the doc so that this becomes a part of your medical history. It is always helpful to the nurses should you ever be hospitalized to know that you have infrequent BM's.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2002, 03:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Sherry-- Sorry to say---This is not normal!!! Basically you are constipated and in most cases it is causes by lack of fiber and fluid in a diet. But, it can be cause by alot of things!!! People are generally consider constipated if they have less than 3 BMs per week as defined by the Rome Criteria.
Too much calcium in your diet and thyroid problems can cause constipation.

The problem is that constipation can increase your chances of other ailments such as depression, colon problems(hemorrhoids& diverticulitis) , malabsorption syndrome, hernias, sleep abnormalies, fatigue appendicitis, body odor, bad breath, indigestion, varicous veins and even lead to bowel cancer.

As you may know bowel movements are important at removing toxins from the body since your colon hold your waste. Toxins along with antigens from bowel bacteria, and undigested food particles are considered to have some connection with development of thyroid disease, diabetes, migraines, ulserative colitis, meningitis, chronic gas and bloating.

As you can tell ---You should not leave well enough alone. I certainly agree with migable-----Incease your fiber content with water soluble fiber as well as insoluble fiber. Also, I think the best natural laxitive is Prunes in any form.
I think you need to see a Good GI doctor and get completely checked out.

I certainly wish you well----Harry

Old 01-23-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
Inactive

SherryA HB User

Plenty of fiber, drink a good amount of water, plus also other drinks during the day. I also have none of these ailments you speak of, and this has been going on since I was a child. As I stated, all my bloodwork, is fine including thyroid, and I'm really in pretty darn good health. Don't you think after 30 some odd years something would have shown up if this was a problem. I also don't overdo the calcium. If anything, I'm probably a little under with that.

How many people can say all this that do have BM's regulary?

Anyway, I was just asking to get some input and see if anyoneelse has this oddity. I will try some metamucil, and see if this does anything. Who knows, maybe I'll feel super good if it does!!!

Old 02-09-2002, 10:43 AM   #5

susangillan HB User

hi sorry to here your problem i also have the same as you and i would suggest that you go to the hospital a&e as i might be a blocked bowel and they will give you something for this as an just out of hospital.they will also do some tests to see if there are anything else wronge you cant let this go on any longer trust me hope you get better love susan

------------------
sgbp

Old 03-13-2002, 01:43 PM   #6

sammy4 HB User

hello
I have a similar problem as you, however, I am definitely constipated, I anxiously await a BM as I am always bloated and gassy feeling, I have a large amount of pain, stay on the toilet for over 30 minute-1 hour nd often tear. I tried metamucel, but I just seemed to get backed up and even more bloated.. i also didn't enjoy taking something every day, wanted to be able to control through diet. But if what I am reading in all these boards is correct, then I guess sometimes even diet won't do it for some of us, are there any long term issues with taking metamucil for life etc?
sammy

Old 03-14-2002, 07:18 AM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User

Metamucil, citrucel or fibertabs are fine to take on a long term basis. You should not be sitting on the toilet for extended periods of time. Since you have severe constipation you are going to need to retrain your bowels by adding the fiber and probably a stool softener several times per day. Try eating prunes or drinking prune juice several times per day. You will need to sit on the toilet for 5-10 minutes every day after breakfast to try to get your bowels to move whether they do or not. If by the third day you have not had a sufficient BM on your own then use a glycerin suppository. If this is ineffective then you may want to try a baking soda enema. Follow this routine until you get your bowels retrained.

Old 03-14-2002, 11:37 AM   #8

sammy4 HB User

Get my bowels retrained? Does that mean that once they are retrained I can ease off of the supplements? or should I just continue them as a measure of prevention? Also I find Prune juice extremely diffuicul to take... I gag and get the dry heaves is there another juice that while less powerful has a similar effect? I would be willing to drink as much as it takes...
one last question (aren't I a huge nuisance) Does a glass of half juice and half water count towards my daily 8 or do I have to drink 16 of them?
curious sara

Old 03-14-2002, 05:02 PM   #9
Inactive

mlgable HB User

You need your eight full glasses of H20 every day. Once you get your bowels retrained I would continue with the fiber therapy but only use the other things as necessary. Do you like prunes at all?? How about the new flavored prunes I have seen advertised? If you can't handle the prunes or prune juice then skip that but use the other techniques. Good Luck.

Closed Thread