It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2001, 01:42 AM   #1

Pluto HB User
Does Diet Coke cause bowel problems?

For the last few years I have been noticing that I'm getting a lot of mucous in my stool. Sometimes I will go to have a BM and only mucous (not a lot) is passed (no stool).

I have read that mucous is fairly normal, and that if you're getting a lot of it, soft drink may be a possible cause.

I love to drink diet coke and have a couple of 600ml bottles a day - could this be the cause of the problem?

I am also having a problem completing BMs. until a few years ago I would only need to wipe once or twice as my stool would usually come out in one lump - now my stool is often sticky and thin, and instead of clumping together comes out as a long ribbon which sort of breaks off. And I often need to use up a whole roll of toilet paper to clean myself. Would taking something like Metamusil help this, or am I not eating enough of something? It is driving me crazy.

I can't believe I'm writing this sort of thing in a public forum!<p>[This message has been edited by Pluto (edited 04-05-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2001, 08:23 AM   #2

Angie E HB User
Re: Does Diet Coke cause bowel problems?

The diet Coke is probably not helping. It has caffeine which can cause diarrhea. Caffeine is a diuretic which depletes the water in your body. Try stopping diet Coke for a week and just drink water. That should give you the answer to your question. You never know until you try, right? If it's the taste of water that bothers you, try adding a little lemon or lime to your water. Or drink water with a straw. You drink more that way. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2001, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Pluto,
Don't worry about the public forum --I'am sure you are not know as Pluto.We write about this alot and it's mostly anonymous.I agree with Angie diet drinks have caffiene and they do produce mucus.

I think Metamucil will help with stool formation. It is a safe bulk forming agent.It also has a cleaning effect on your colon. It is a water soluble fiber so water makes it swells resulting in a more normal- formed BM.
I don't think you are getting enough of the right kind of fiber in your diet. It is really a simple thing to do.
God Bless---Harry

Old 04-05-2001, 08:49 PM   #4

Pluto HB User

OK I'm trying more water, no diet coke and metamucil for a week to see what happens. Thanks for the advice!

Closed Thread