It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2001, 11:21 PM   #1

BellaGirl HB User
Passing out while having a BM

I posted a message related to this on the IBS Board. Has anyone heard of something called "Vasavagal"? This is where your heart rate becomes too low when your having a bowel movement, either from straining or from irritating a nerve in your rectum. If you irritate this nerve, (from what the Doctor's tell me) it then shuts the blood supply to heart off and then that shuts the oxygen off to your brain, which then causes you to pass out. PRETTY SCARY HUH? Last year I was diagnosed with IBS after a series of passing out on the toilet. At first the doctor's were testing my Thyroid. See Thyroid patients can pass out as well due to and overactive heart rate. Well of course all of my tests came back normal. As a matter of fact the doctor's even tried to get me to pass out in the hospital just to see what would happen. They call this test a "Tilt Table". Anyway, they found there was nothing wrong with my Thyroid, everything there was under control. After me telling them how many times a day I had the big "D", it was then when they decided to send me to a gasterial internist (spelling?).
So as of last year I was diagnosed with IBS.
I'm now on medication for it, and it has somewhat helped. In fact it's helped a little too much. Instead of having the constant "D", I have major constipation, then followed by the massive "D". Of course anyone suffering from a bowel disorder know's that this is no fun to deal with. About a month ago I had blood in my stool. It occurred for two days straight and now happens off and on. I went to the doctor on Friday, and now I get the pleasure of having a scope up of my tush. Anyway, thought I would share my experiences of having IBS. I know having this disorder can be very depressing. I just hope my doctor's don't find something more serious when I have to take this last test. If anyone has had similiar experiences please share them with me. I've heard of elderly people having strokes/heart attacks on the toilets while having a BM, but I'm only 32 and this is really scary too me. Wish me luck with the colonoscopy!

Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2001, 07:23 PM   #2

Sil HB User
Re: Passing out while having a BM

I know how you feel. I have almost passed out on the toilet. I know that I will eventually because I am in so much pain. I have Chron's colitis. I hope that your test went well. It is not a good time. I went through it myself.

Old 06-26-2001, 07:53 PM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Re: Passing out while having a BM

I work in a nursing home and have seen many people pass out or go unresponsive on the toilet while having a BM. Straining is one thing you don't want to do when having a BM so if this is problem for someone then by all means be sure to start getting more fiber into your diet so you don't have to strain while having a BM.

Closed Thread