It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
(male)

rsypen HB User
My Hemorrhoidectomy x3

Greetings, all! I am a 45 year old male in good health. I work out three times a week in a gym with free weights and cardio. My only health issue is that I smoke.

Two days ago, I had my hemorrhoidectomy. I was diagnosed with two hemorrhoids, one that was internal and one that looked like I was trying to grow a tale. Both were never painful or itchy, but upon occassion they could be very bloody and made keeping clean down there a chore. Thank God I am regular and was always able to take a shower in the morning after going to the bathroom.

I saw a doctor in the Digestive Disease Department of the Cleveland Clinic who said my best option was surgery. He also wanted my to have a colonoscopy given the fact I had these issues. So appointments were scheduled that day with his scheduling nurse who gave me a bound surgical guide and told me how to prepare and what to expect. She was wonderful and pulled no punches. "You're going to feel like you were kicked in the *** - quite a few times."

I had my pre-surgical blood work done in their lab that day. A month later, I was on a liquid diet Wednesday and began the cleansing process at 2:00PM. I used a mega-dose of Mirolax and 4 Dulcolax tablets. Thursday morning I had the colonoscopy while slightly medicated but awake and watching the journey on a TV screen. The doc found 3 polyps...2 were small and the 3rd about 1/2 an inch. All were snipped for biopsy, the results of which I should have in about a week.

My hemorrhoidectomy was scheduled for Friday morning, so the liquid diet was still in effect.

Friday came and what amazed me the most was the fact I wasn't hungry. I was hungry Wednesday and Thursday but my body must have found its zen place and I felt fine and dandy.

So I arrived at the Cleveland Clinic at 7:30AM and the game was afoot. All I'll say is the CC runs like a well-oiled machine. I highly recommend it. I'll never go to a small, local hospital for anything other then run-of-the-mill ailments.

While laying on my bed outside the operating room, a nurse, the ansthesiologist and a doctor completing his gastro fellowship came by and talked to me. The doc/fellow was brutally honest. He said this was going to hurt and he would be prescribing 100 percocets for me. Eek!

So let's skip to the point after the procedure. I came to in the operating room and was relatively awake. My surgeon informed me that while he was in there, he found a 3rd internal hemmie which he removed as well. I was laying on my back and in serious pain. I made it to the PACU where the nurse asked me to roll on my side to relieve the pain, answered a few questions and the pain meds started being introduced into my IV. The pain went from a 9 to about an 8. A few minutes later it spiked up and more pain meds were introduced and the pain went to a 5. I was thirsty as hell and she gave me a few ice chips. I told her I tolerate anesthesia quite well and was able to get a cup of water and chugged it. I asked for another, chugged that and she said I was ready to go to my post-op room where I would be monitored and asked to pee before I could leave.

After about a half an hour in post op room, and quite a few glasses of water, I was ablt to get up and walk around the room and then around the hall. I was drinking like crazy cuz I wanted to pee and leave. Unfortunately, I was dehydrated. I went through 2 IV bads of saline, 3 cups of coffee and about a gallon of water and finally produced about 120ml of urine and was free to leave.

Now the pain was bad, but not horrible. I got home, made my mom a cup of tea and then scooted her out the door. I popped 2 percs and started making some whole wheat pasta alfredo and spinich. I took a stool softener, ate a little and went outside and chatted with my neighbors. Drank some Metamucel later, lots of water, some green tea with ginger, and some apple cider. Popped 2 more percs and went to bed.

The first night was rough. I woke up every 4 hours - which ironically was when the pain meds were scheduled to be taken. I noticed that laying on my side provided some relief, but getting up was painful. It took a few moments to straighten up and bring the pain level down to about a 6 or a 7. Urinating took a little longer to start, but once started there were no problems.

The next day, Saturday, I pretty much stayed home and on my feet doing odds n ends. I'd lay on my side every once in awhile, but standing was best. My daughter came over and I made her and my son lunch. My buddy and his wife came over later. The pain was bad, but tolerable. Percocets are wonderful.

Which brings us to today, Sunday. I slept for 5 hours straight and woke up in a lot of pain. I took 1 perc, ate some oatmeal, and took and epsom salt hot bath. Pure.Heaven. I decided to go for a walk and get some mineral oil, epsom salts and more sanitary pads to soak up the blood and mucus that was slowly leaking out of my butt. A two mile walk took about an hour. It hurt, but I was determined to do it. Got back home and started making a 15-bean soup.

So no BM yet...kind of dreading it. But I think between all the fiber, laxatives, mineral oil, water and apple cider things should be okay. At least I HOPE they will. I've eaten oatmeal, bean soup, whole wheat pasta and spinich. I've drank cider, apple juice, water, Metamucel, and a protein supplement (same one I take after working out). Mineral oil, Mirolax, multivitamin, fish oil tablet and a zinc tablet have been my pills. Oh yeah...and my percocets! I'll try and update as things progress. So far, so good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
(male)

feilong HB User
Re: My Hemorrhoidectomy x3

Hey Ryspen!

So I'm. A 24 yr old male and had a hemorrhoidectomy 10 days ago. I know about the pain you r going thru. I had about 3 or 4 grade IV hemmys removed, plus some internal ones. Recovery has been a trial but each day gets better. I faced some constipation because of the perceset, so make sure you induce lots n lots of fiber and stool softeners if you continue to use those. I stopped them around day 4 or 5 and then once more which is when I had my constipation bout on day 7.

As of now I just use Tylenol for pain... was using ibuprofen but I had a huge increase in bleeding.... tylenol rapid release extra strength does the body good haha! But ya, I had to experiment with foods and supplements to see what would give me soft stools but with bulk. I bought a lot of fiberous cereals, I.e. all bran, fiber one and something else... and then I got some metamucil in the powder form and wafer form, some colace (generic kind) to soften stool, and a butt ton of water to drink.

You seem to be doing something similar. Oh, and if you have the urte to go and it jus won't come out, you should invest in some Plum juice (like prune juice, and taste fairly good), and make a hot glass of water and suck them bad boys down and ruuuuuuuuun!

I had an episode or two with what I thought was a lot of blood but a quick call to the doc put me at ease. Turns out I broke a stitch and its hangin there but he said it was ok.... also that left me with an open wound I suppose... doesn't make it any worse, but something to be leery of. My doctor actually recommended me to clean out the area with water and peroxide with a cotton ball, and then put a cotton ball with neosporin on it straight onto the area... I want to believe that this is aiding in my recovery and I do this maybe once or twice a day or, atleast after each bm.

I'm not sure if you were looking to hear someones story on their procedure but I saw that no one has posted on your column and I wanted to tell my story and let you know that we r going thru this together. As I said, I'm on day 10 and I'm hopin by my two week mark, I will be a lot better than I am now. Keep me updated with your progress bro! Hang in there, we will make it!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
(male)

rsypen HB User

Dude! Great hearing from you! We're almost doing the same thing! I stopped the percs on Tuesday because of the constipation - I looked like I had a food baby. Switched over to Tylenol and things have been cool. I cut my grass yesterday and did some yardwork today. I actually climbed a tree. Came inside, took a poop andd noticed blood. I must have popped a stitch as well. Minimum bleeding.

I can't believe the pain I was in a few days ago. My BM's felt like I was passing bowling balls, shards of glass and battery acid. But they've gotten better (and less frequent - thank God).

I'm hoping to get back to work Wednesday. Truth be told, I could probably function if I went back tomorrow, but I can work from home so it's all good.

Like you said, each day gets better. I'm glad you're progressing so well. After reading some of the horror stories on here, I think two factors help determine your level of progress: Your surgeon and your overall health.

Oh! Funny story. Woke up one morning and had the squirts...didn't make it to the bathroom and holding it in hurt too much. Pooped my freaking pants. Humbling experience.

Keep in touch, my friend, and continued healing to you!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
(male)

feilong HB User
Red face Re: My Hemorrhoidectomy x3

You climbed and mowed grass? Man I took a walk around the commissary and had to stop every 15 seconds! Have you looked down there and noticed pink lump like looking things? Assume its swelling. I hope so atleast. Man I really wish this wouldn't take so long to heal. I feel lame lying in the tub soaking and being miserable haha.

I've had minimal leakage, which is normal. I'm just looking forward to the day when it desnt hurt to poop! How many days is it for you now post op? I might have to go back to work on thursday,. I hope I can atleast sit for a bit because I pretty much sit for 8 hours. I might try and get a waiver to work a half day for a bit. But geez! You being in your 40s I can only imagine the disadvantage. No offense, but God bless you brother.

Hey! Did they give you lidocane? That crap does not work lol.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
(male)

rsypen HB User

Today, Monday November 1st, is day 10. Good morning so far. I haven't looked down there just because it would probably freak me out. I did have a lump but that went away after a few days. I can tell there is an open wound, though. Nope...don't want to see it!

My surgeon didn't classify my hemmy's, so I don't know how bad they were. Maybe yours were worse. Prior to the surgery, I never had pain...only occassional bleeding. My one external hemmi made it look like I was trying to grow some kind of mutant tail and made cleanliness in the area difficult. I wouldn't poop unless I could take a shower - luckily I'm pretty regular . I'm looking forward to the day I can go backpacking or camping and poop in the woods, whip out a babywipe and be clean as a whistle.

Maybe your hems were worse then mine, hence your trouble walking so far. I do know this: For the most part, things have improved each day. Maybe a setback here or there, but overall, I'm cool with this and no longer cursing my surgeon and his family.

I wasn't given lidocaine or any kind of topical. Looking through my post op surgery instructions, I see that some kind of surgical paste is available but I guess that's if I call and ask for it - they didn't think I needed it right off the bat.

Well my friend, gonna try and get a few things done around here today. I hope your day today is better than yesterday and hope tomorrow is even better. Keep me updated on your progress!

Oh yeah...your 40's comment...my last girlfriend was 26. I look goooooooood for my age, bro! Lol!

The Following User Says Thank You to rsypen For This Useful Post:
randadawn (06-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
(male)

feilong HB User

Man you crack me up... got some good genes in ya! Today is day 11 and my bm this morning wasn't too bad. They are getting better with each passing day. They just hurt like a mug when I'm done, which I find weird. My doctor told me to clip my loose stitches but... that's just awkward! I mean, what if I miss or something... it'll just hang for bit.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
(male)

rsypen HB User

I'll tell ya...there are good days and there are bad days. Last night sucked. I was a poo factory. And wait kids...there's more! Not only that, I never really felt like I was "done." Numerous trips were made to the bathroom. Blech!! Oh yeah...and pears are a natural laxative.

So once again, I went back to my handy-dandy post surgical guide and read bowel movements may take up to six months to get back to normal. Six.Freaking.Months. What's that going down the drain? Oh! It's my social life. LOL! I guess things need to get "reshaped" down there. Seals need to be created. Things need to seat. Kind of like changing a gasket on a machine...it's gotta set in.

I seriously hope I'm back to some normalcy in less than six months and am pretty sure that I will be. I can't imagine driving in rush hour traffic on my 40 minute commute to work and getting whacked in the head with the urge to hit the can. Well...we'll see how that commute goes tomorrow. Already told my manager I have no idea when I'll be in and no idea when I'll leave. Luckily my job affords me some flexibility.

And how's this for irony? I had a stitch hanging out me bumm last night. It's gone now. I wonder if I would have pulled it if my hands would have spun around and I would have said, "The cow says, Mooooooooooooooooo."

Hope you're doing well. Seems like we're out of the major pain stage and in the squirmy, uncomfortable phase of things.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
(male)

feilong HB User

Hey Ryspen,

How are things going for you? Today is day 15 and it's such a turnaround from day 7. I didn't have a bowel movement for a day and a half until this morning, and because I changed my diet a bit (introduced baked potatoes and pita bread sammys), I had some hard stools that kinda hurt coming out. But no more of the paralyzing mummy walk pain. I actually did my BM and stood there for a moment thinking I needed to go again... and I was actually ok with the pain I felt, so that is a remarkable improvement for me.

I'm just having an issue with itching. I'm not sure if the neosporin(which I stopped using) is causing it or what... but I just keep it clean with some cottonel wipes, and maybe every other time/day I'll use peroxide to clean the area. I just clean and use a lady pad to catch drainage. I'm a firm believer in letting wounds get some air! So ya, things are looking up and I have my 3 week check up on tuesday, so hopefully I'll be blessed with some good news.

Let me know how you are bro! Take care and stay strong. -This too shall pass- by whoever lol!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
(male)

rsypen HB User

Hey bud! Long time no talk? How are you doing? If I'm not mistaken, today is your one month anniversary! Tomorrow is mine, and I have to admit...I feel awesome! Not quite 100% but I'd say 90%. I think my turning point was right around your last post. I can only hope you feel as good as I do. I also would like to say thanks! It was cool swapping horror stories with ya. You made this whole ordeal a little easier to get through. Wishing you the best!

Regards,
Russ

Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
(male)

feilong HB User
Thumbs down Re: My Hemorrhoidectomy x3

Hey bro!!

I was starting to wonder about you. I'm glad that your recovery has taken a turn for the better. I on the other hand had a minor setback about a week ago... I was constipated at work and forced it out and it set me back a few days. I had a bm today that hurt too but nothing like earlier in the recovery. I just have a nagging pain for now. I want to see my doc once more to check my progress. The swelling has gone down quiet a bit but is still there nevertheless. Hopefully you will be 100% soon and I shortly thereafter. You also really helped me put in this recovery so thanks so much man. I will keep you posted until I'm completely healed. Take care!!!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
(male)

feilong HB User

Hey Everyone!

So it's been about 3 months since my surgery... so ya, I'm still hurting lol. It's not nearly as bad as it has been, but my setbacks with Constipation puts me back to week 3 post op! But you know, that's my fault because I let my Miralax run out, and it's usually the day or two after that I get hit with the big 'C'! But ah... ya, I'm still hopeful that I'll be fully recovered in about 2 months. There is still drainage n stuff, and it still hurts to fart, haha!

Anywho, I hope that you all are having some progress in your recovery. It's a rough road, and there will be LOTS of ups and downs, but at the same time, I don't have hemorrhoids anymore, and this temporary pain with be gone soon enough! Let me know if you guys have any questions with how I dealt with stuff and what to expect as time goes on. Good luck and keep ya head up!

Cullen

Last edited by moderator2; 01-22-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #12
(female)

randadawn HB Userrandadawn HB Userrandadawn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feilong View Post
Hey Everyone!

So it's been about 3 months since my surgery... so ya, I'm still hurting lol. It's not nearly as bad as it has been, but my setbacks with Constipation puts me back to week 3 post op! But you know, that's my fault because I let my Miralax run out, and it's usually the day or two after that I get hit with the big 'C'! But ah... ya, I'm still hopeful that I'll be fully recovered in about 2 months. There is still drainage n stuff, and it still hurts to fart, haha!

Anywho, I hope that you all are having some progress in your recovery. It's a rough road, and there will be LOTS of ups and downs, but at the same time, I don't have hemorrhoids anymore, and this temporary pain with be gone soon enough! Let me know if you guys have any questions with how I dealt with stuff and what to expect as time goes on. Good luck and keep ya head up!

Cullen
I imagined this was just complete pain.........not functional pain. One of my doctors acted as if I would be bedridden for two weeks, another said I would probably sleep most of the first three days and then slowly get back to health after two more weeks. I just don't understand why this surgery has to be so bad! I do understand with bowel movements though.

Closed Thread