It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

LinuxRocks HB User
Unhappy SEVERE rectal bleeding; gastro not concerned

I've had a longstanding issue with rectal bleeding--several years. It used to be only enough to stain my panties, but in the past year it has become copious. I've resorted to folding up thick wads of toilet paper to use as protection in my panties--and even that frequently isn't enough, with blood pouring out through the padding, my panties, my pants, and onto whatever I'm sitting on. NOT COOL.

So you'd think my gastroenterologist would be alarmed, right? No. The last three times I've gone in to see him it was specifically about the bleeding. Each time he referred to pictures taken during my 2008 colonoscopy showing a large internal hemorrhoid and saying that's the culprit. He has not examined me since the 2008 colonoscopy. He's prescribed a couple of things, Anusol-HC suppositories and Analpram HC 2.5% cream; they help with the bleeding, but they're not solving the problem. And the problem has truly reached epic proportions, as described above!

I don't know what to do. Okay, it's true there was that large internal hemorrhoid in 2008, and it very well could be the culprit. But what if it's not? What if there's some other issue? Either way, I do NOT want to continue living like this, worrying day in and day out that I'm going to leave a puddle of blood where I've been sitting. Oh, I forgot to mention that the bleeding not only happens pretty reliably after bowel movements, but it also happens spontaneously, with no provocation whatsoever. I've stood up and found a huge puddle of blood when I hadn't had a BM in 2 days.

Any suggestions? Is it time to find another GI doc? I really like mine, but I'm frustrated with his lack of action.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: SEVERE rectal bleeding; gastro not concerned

I'd go get a hemorrhoidectomy. In fact, if I was bleeding like that, I'd have done it in 2008.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
(female)

LinuxRocks HB User

Thanks for the speedy reply. The thing is, after brain surgery last year I've had a very difficult recovery, including out of control hypertension and high pulse rate. It took months of trying different BP meds and combinations before we finally hit on FIVE that are keeping it down--still high, but 100 points down from where we started. At this point no one, neither me nor any of my doctors, wants any kind of operation unless it's critically necessary because I'm just too compromised right now.

My frustration is with my GI doc's lack of action. Like I said, he hasn't even examined me in two years, so if that hemorrhoid ISN'T the problem, I'd like to know.

Also, I've read about sclerotherapy and wonder if that would be an effective treatment if the hemorrhoid is the problem. If anyone has experience with that, I'd like to hear about it.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxRocks View Post
I've had a longstanding issue with rectal bleeding--several years. It used to be only enough to stain my panties, but in the past year it has become copious. I've resorted to folding up thick wads of toilet paper to use as protection in my panties--and even that frequently isn't enough, with blood pouring out through the padding, my panties, my pants, and onto whatever I'm sitting on. NOT COOL.

Have you tried changing the type of pad? Dark clothes can be better.

So you'd think my gastroenterologist would be alarmed, right? No. The last three times I've gone in to see him it was specifically about the bleeding. Each time he referred to pictures taken during my 2008

Have you seen a health professional since then?

colonoscopy showing a large internal hemorrhoid and saying that's the culprit. He has not examined me since the 2008 colonoscopy. He's prescribed a couple of things, Anusol-HC suppositories and Analpram HC 2.5% cream;

Have you ever tried Hamamelis Virginiana preparations (Hazel)? A relative of mine had problems with an external one and used sitz baths with success.

they help with the bleeding, but they're not solving the problem. And the problem has truly reached epic proportions, as described above!

I don't know what to do. Okay, it's true there was that large internal hemorrhoid in 2008, and it very well could be the culprit. But what if it's not? What if there's some other issue? Either way, I do NOT want to continue living like this, worrying day in and day out that I'm going to leave a puddle of blood where I've been sitting. Oh, I forgot to mention that the bleeding not only happens pretty reliably after bowel movements, but it also happens spontaneously, with no. provocation whatsoever. I've stood up and found a huge puddle of blood when I hadn't had a BM in 2 days.

Any suggestions? Is it time to find another GI doc?

Some doctors are definately better than others and some people have seen doctors for this with apparent success.
I really like mine, Its good that he is a nice person. but I'm frustrated with his lack of action

.Some docters take action and then the patients are not happy with the results check on the doctors reputation before choosing anyone.

Last edited by sjb; 10-31-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Closed Thread