It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

eam2010 HB User
Question Life after Spincteroplasty???

I am new to this forum, facing surgery this Tuesday! When I read everything here, it scares me to no end . I wonder if this is worth it or not. I have the occasional accident in my underwear... anywhere from a smudge, to a moderate 'throw out the undies' kind of incident. It isn't an every day occurrence, maybe once a week. Sex is good, no problems currently. Urine leakage is bad- having a sling for this at the same time, as well as perineal repair. I am very very reluctant for the sphincteroplasty portion of this surgery due to all the complications I'm reading here post op. I'm so so close to picking up the phone and calling the office to cancel. Isn't there any positives out there?
Thanks!

Last edited by eam2010; 10-31-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User
Re: Life after Spincteroplasty???

Hi Everyone, I'm back! And am now too a survivor of the s-plasty

All-in-all, so far, things have gone very well. I am now 3 days post-op and came home yesterday. The surgery went well, the pain was worst the day of surgery, so I took morphine. It just made me sleep all the time. The next day I only took regular strong pain killers (tablets). They took out the catheter so I could get up and walk, it wasn't too bad being on pain killers. Now 3 days later I'm hardly in any pain and am at home, DH is taking care of the kids. There is a drainage hole in the wound to keep things from swelling under the tissue. But the whole area feels like it was ground up by a meat grinder, so I can't feel where the hole is and don't really want to touch it anyway. I'm still taking pain killers, but would survive without.

The bowel prep was really annoying, having to be 3 ft. from a bathroom for 12 hours. Luckily I made the bathroom each time, so I didn't need depends. But I would have needed them if I was further from the bathroom, it just came out! The day after surgery I still had some D from the bowel prep, as it apparently didn't empty my bowels completely. I felt slightly better muscle control post-op, but it might only be because of the swelling in the area. The D still just came out though, like a tap I have had no normal BM since the D the day after surgery, so I don't know how things are working down there yet. I'm on lactulose to keep things soft. I wonder when my first BM will come and am quite nervous for its arrival. I'm scared to find out my control is worse....

I'm surprised as to how well this has gone so far pain and healing wise, although I'm still very worried about infection of the wound or stitches coming undone. I'm by no means out of the woods, only 3 days post-op. It will take 2 weeks before the hole in the wound is closed and another 5-6 weeks for everything to be healed properly. So far, this has gone better and easier than giving birth with a 4th degree tear, I have less pain and swelling, and way better than my c-section, which was waay more painful than this.

Eam2010, good luck with your surgery tomorrow! So far (cross fingers) my surgery has gone way better than expected. You will also have additional surgery (sling), so recovery might be more difficult for you, but hopefully not too bad. I found that right after surgery was worst, the day after was much better already. I wish you luck and hope all will go really well! Keep us updated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
(female)

jcavanagh HB User

I just wanted to check on you and see if you have had any improvement since your last post. I hope that you have seen some results by now!! Nobody knows how awful this problem can be. I am having the same surgery in January and have so many concerns!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

Hi jcavanagh, I updated on another post, so I'll just copy and paste this: (I'm now 6 days post-op and doing even better! Will update in a few days again)

Here all is going well. 5 days post-op. Still uncomfortable, but that's not so weird. Had my first BM 3 days post-op and it was just small little ribbony slithers (sorry for TMI). I was worried that from now on that's what my BM's will be like, which will of course take forever to get out and very annoying as I am a "be done quick" kinda girl But today I had a proper BM, a good sized one, not ribbony (as I was worried about before surgery). I was very pleased with my normal BM. It wasn't hard to get out, it came out like a normal BM. My butt was slightly sore afterwards, so hopefully no stitches were torn internally.

The only thing is I still notice a slight urge, meaning the BM still just started coming out a little bit on the way to the bathroom. But no worse than before surgery, maybe even slightly better. I was really worried I'd have to go back to scratch (ie. as I was right after my 4th degree tear), but this is not the case. It took me years to get where I was right before surgery, and the surgery so far has not made it worse. So I am happy with that and I am determined to do Kegels until I'm blue in the face to strengthen my muscles, but will only start until I'm healed.

Thanks to everyone for your support so far. This is the only place to come for support and where I can share this type of information. I also hope my experiences will be of help to others!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
(female)

jcavanagh HB User

Thanks Babygirl43, your imformation has been so helpful. I think once you heal the Kegel exercises will help a lot. If they didn't work before they should now that your muscles are intack. It sounds like the surgery wasn't too painful, that is what I fear the most. As long as it is successful, then I guess I can handle it. I am such a big baby when it comes to surgery!!! Please keep us posted as to your status!!

Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
(female)

eam2010 HB User

Well, I'm back! This is day#3 post-op. Had surgery last Tuesday. I'm actually still in my hospital room, and supposed to released tomorrow The surgery wasn't bad! Yes, it's uncomfortable, but tolerable... I'd rate it a 4-6 on pain scale 0-10. I feel the "pull" of stitches and the discomfort of sitting directly on my bottom. I sit on one cheek or the other..or I can sit on a really soft pillow. I have a supra pubic bladder catheter- a life saver for me. I can't imagine trying to cath myself. This area is tender, but not bad. I should be able to get it out in a day or two. I have had a few very soft/loose bms since post op day 1 with no pain. I was incontinent of it, but expected to be, so I'm not worried about that right now. I had a spinal block with Morphine just prior to taking me to surgery (for post op pain control) which was under general. I will warn you, Morphine can make you itch and itch and itch! They switched me to Dilaudid.... ahhh, much better. I'm off of that as of today and now taking oral pain med, Oxycodone, which is working fine for me. A sitz bath bag hanging on the door and using it like a hand held shower during and after a bm is very helpful in keeping things clean. I'm bruised, red and swollen and cant see any stitches or open wound, although I know there is an open area that he left there for drainage/ minimize swelling. There is a little numbness in spots, and I'm sure one those areas "come back to life", I might be singing a different tune! I'm now on full liquid diet, so can having pudding, cream of wheat, stuff like that. Sorry for the long post, but just want those of you facing surgery to feel some relief of anxiety and fear. I was a basket case this time 3 nights ago. To me, so far the worst thing of this whole surgery ordeal was the bowel prep! I'll keep you all posted as things go along.

Last edited by eam2010; 11-05-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
(female)

Hi Eam2010, thanks for the update! It sounds like it's going very well for you so far too, I'm very happy for you! I agree, the bowel prep was the worst, even though I didn't like waking up from the anesthesia, I was nauseous and very very sleepy.

Here all is still going well. I am 8 days post-op. I still feel like a meat grinder has ground up my whole nether region, but the pain is much less and I don't use pain killers anymore. It's slowly getting better and I can do more, like cooking and the dishes, I should just not carry anything heavy, which is difficult with 2 small children!

The wound is still oozing yellowy-pink stuff, I can't wait for the hole to close, which might take a few more weeks. I'm still concerned about infections and stitches coming loose, so I am worried, but hopefully it'll be ok. I don't use sitz baths, but I shower and wash the region with antibiotic soap every day. I don't use gauze either, I'm afraid the gauze will stick to the wound.

About control, I do feel that it's getting better. The urgency is getting better and it doesn't start coming out immediately. Sometimes the urge even disappears if I wait a bit, although it comes again pretty quickly. I'm too afraid to "experiment" with holding it in, since I'm not recovered. I'm also afraid to find that my control still isn't good if I wait a bit, so I just go when the urge comes. But so far, I'm pretty pleased with the control only a week post-op. Eam2010, I hope your control will get better soon. Continue updating!

Last edited by Babygirl43; 11-06-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
(female)

jcavanagh HB User

Hi Babygirl43,
I was just reading your post and wanted to ask you about one of your replies. You said you were waiting on the whole to close. Where is the incision made? I thought that the incision was internally, through the rectum. Do they make an incision on the out side? I am confused???? I am only asking because I want to get prepared for everything (no surprises). Thanks for keeing us updated. I am praying for everyone that has just had the surgery and or going to have it. Wishing you a successful out come!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
(female)

Hi! No, this is not done rectally. I had my whole pernineum fixed (perineoplasty) they did an upside down Y-shaped incision around the rectum and all the way up to the vagina and stiched it up again. Basically a 4th degree tear and the additional two incisions. Some surgeons do the perineoplasty as part of the procedure, like my surgeon did. Some only do an upside down V-shaped incision around the anus. This is not done through the rectum like eg. a hysterectomy is done through the vagina.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-06-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
(female)

eam2010 HB User

Hi everyone. Well, this post-op day #6, came home yesterday from the hospital. Pain is under control. I've taken the pain meds last night, but haven't taken anything yet today. I think the pain med may make me a little nauseate so I want to experiment with holding off- may just do Tylenol. My BMs are completely soft; I get some warning and have made it to the toilet today. It's odd these are totally odor free. I guess you can tell people your poo doesn't stink...lol. Sorry, foul humor there I am sore, but it's ok. Still swollen. I feel stitches up there. I do feel jittery this morning, tired, and a little weak from it all. I just woke up and slept hard this first night home. On full liquids still. This Tuesday I can advance to low residue. I'm going to drink more fluids and walk around to get "going". I still have the supra pubic catheter- so I'm measuring my self urination, along with draining the catheter after I urinate on my own. If the cath urine (residual) is less than 100 mls consistently over 2 days, then the catheter can be removed. So far it's been hit and miss with that, mostly I am still above 100 mls. As far as sitz baths, I don't sit in them, but definitely use the bag part of the set up to rinse and clean my rectal and peri area. It's great for that in order to keep things clean. I worry about sitting in the sitz bath itself, because I've read it can weaken your sutures or cause infection. My surgeon is aware of how I'm doing things and says that is fine. My husband is great to keep everything going around here. I have a 12 yr old daughter who is pretty self sufficient, so I'm so glad of that. I can't imagine doing this with little ones! Have a great day everyone. Will update again soon.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
(female)

eam2010 HB User

Ok, so THIS is post op day #6(shincteroplasty, TVT, perineal repair) ... last post was actually day #5, but at any rate, I am still jittery and weak today, but improving. I'm sure I need to drink more and that my electrolytes are off. My potassium was low in the hospital, so they supplemented with some potassium tablets. Pain wise i am tolerating everything, but sore. I haven't taken anything for the discomfort because it isn't 'too' bad. The s/p bladder catheter is coming out today. Yikes, I know that's going to sting a bit . I looked 'down there' today and tried to get a good view, but so hard to see. It just looks like normal crease in the bottom, but inside I see stiches resembling small strings, than stitches. I know there is an open area in there, but unable to see it. I have no drainage from anywhere. My skin is totally numb around the rectum in a few places... anyone else experiencing this? I am wondering if nerve damage from surgery is or if this will resolve with time. Hard to say. Some nausea still. Get to graduate to low residue diet tomorrow. yay Have a good day everyone.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
(female)

Eam2010, I'm glad you're doing quite well, although recovery is of course a long process. I hope your catheter coming out will go well and you can urinate normally with no problems. How is continence in the other area? I'm impressed that you dared to have a look down there, I don't dare and will only be looking in 6 weeks when everything is healed up

Here all is going well (10 days post-op). I was sitting too much (at the computer, at the table etc) so now I try to lie down on the couch or in bed most of the day. This helps immensely, as I was having more pain down there from sitting in chairs, I felt the wound wasn't healing properly. I was doing too much too soon. Continence-wise things are going well. I haven't tested my limits, but it doesn't just start coming out as soon as the urge appears (like it used to do), which I am very pleased with. I have always made it to the bathroom (except for a few occasions), but it was always on its way out a little bit before I made the bathroom. Now it doesn't do that anymore. I still find myself rushing to the bathroom out of habit, and because I'm afraid to discover that my continence isn't as good as I hoped.

Take care and keep in touch

Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
(female)

jcavanagh HB User

Hello, eam2010

Sounds like things are going well for you, yea!!!! I would think that area would be numb for a while, after all you had major surgery. Please keep us posted!

Good Luck.....I am still praying for you!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #14
(female)

eam2010 HB User

Yes, continence seems to be doing ok. I only had two incontinent episodes the first day home, however I have not had any issues since. I can feel a slight urge and have time to get to the bathroom. I can even ignore the urge and wait, then another little wave comes around letting me know I need to go. BMs are very soft still, thank goodness. Today is the day for the low residue diet to begin. I will be on this for 2 weeks, then to regular foods. This diet is essentially carb loaded (everything we're told not to eat normally), but these are the foods the body easily breaks down. Nuts, seeds, and fiber is a complete no-no for now. I will start on Colace to keep things soft. I removed the supra-pubic bladder catheter and that was a little sting, but not bad. What a relief though not having it. I find myself having a little more energy today, less jittery. No nausea. I continue to be on Flagyl and Cipro for another week. I am probably sitting more than I should as well, so will make more the effort to lie down. We've all gone through to much to slow this healing process down! So glad for this forum and the support.

Last edited by eam2010; 11-09-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
(female)

jcavanagh HB User

Hi eam201,
I started reading your post a while back, but wasn't sure what surgery you were actually having. I assumed it was the spincteroplasty and was it anterior or exterior? Why did you have you to go home with the supra-pubic bladder catheter? My doctor did not mention that. I am just trying to get prepared for all. Thanks for your report! Hope you are going to be 100%!!!

Closed Thread