It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

killercanuck24 HB User
How to use the Diltiazem Ointment 2%

For about 2 months I have had pain while passing a bowel movement and I finally went in to see my doctor about it, turns out I have an anal fissure. He prescribed me the Diltiazem 2% Ointment but neither him nor the pharmacist were clear about exactly how to apply it and how much. It says on the package to apply to affected area, so I am guessing that the ointment has to go into the anus and reach the tear but I just want to be clear about that before I go ahead and start using it. Does anyone know the correct way to do this?

Thanks!! Hoping the pain will go away asap!

Last edited by killercanuck24; 12-03-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
(male)

Baadsport HB User
Re: How to use the Diltiazem Ointment 2%

I've been having to apply the nitro oinment "to the affected area" with very limited luck. I knew there had to be a better way to apply it. As I stated in another post, applying the oinment with your finger feels like a fence post when you're in pain, so I came up with the idea to go to CVS or Walgreens and buy a few syringes (of course, no needles), as small diameter as possible and pack the oinment in the syringe, lube the tip, slowly insert in the "affected area" (about an inch or so) and shoot it in. This has been the best method to get the ointment to affected area and have it work.
When I told my doctor I do this, he just gives me a "look" and says be careful. Just make sure you go slow and lube the syringe.
Another note...the pharmacy technician gave me the type of syring that she uses to give her baby liquid medicine. It doesn't have the rubber insert to push the ointment...it's all plastic with a little ball on the end. The rubber insert works for a while but gets stuck sometimes because of the ointment breaks down the rubber.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
(male)

BayRidge HB User
Re: How to use the Diltiazem Ointment 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercanuck24 View Post
For about 2 months I have had pain while passing a bowel movement and I finally went in to see my doctor about it, turns out I have an anal fissure. He prescribed me the Diltiazem 2% Ointment but neither him nor the pharmacist were clear about exactly how to apply it and how much. It says on the package to apply to affected area, so I am guessing that the ointment has to go into the anus and reach the tear but I just want to be clear about that before I go ahead and start using it. Does anyone know the correct way to do this?

Thanks!! Hoping the pain will go away asap!
The colorectal surgeon who prescribed Nifedipine (similar to Diltiazem) didn't give me any clues but another one (I've seen 4 now) said to just apply it externally, it gets absorbed.

Closed Thread