It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
(female)

Nanerpus HB User
Worried about my stool color

For the past few weeks I have had normal stool in terms of consistency, not difficult to go, been regular - normal shape that sinks. But I have noticed it has been light tan, sort of pale.

I have changed my diet over the past 3 weeks by cutting out dairy, wheat, soy, and egg. Could this be doing it? I used to have quite a bit of cream in my coffee in the morning - now I have none. Could the lack of fat be doing this? It does NOT look oily or smell bad - the color is just a little light.

I had an attack of acute pancreatitis 4 years ago so I am paranoid about anything that could hint at digestive problems. No problems since.

Any advice? I'm making myself anxious worrying about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Worried about my stool color

Food usually dictates colour changes if there's nothing else going on. The lack of colour could be from less bile.

What else are you eating...generally.

Are you taking fibre supplements?

You could try digestive enzymes to see if it helps.

Why exactly did you have the pancreatitis attack? Have you had other problems with it or has it been resolved?

q

Last edited by quincy; 12-31-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
(female)

Nanerpus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Food usually dictates colour changes if there's nothing else going on. The lack of colour could be from less bile.

What else are you eating...generally.

Are you taking fibre supplements?

You could try digestive enzymes to see if it helps.

Why exactly did you have the pancreatitis attack? Have you had other problems with it or has it been resolved?

q
I don't know why I got the pancreatitis attack - they believe it was something that runs in my Dad's family. I never was referred to a gastroenterologist and have felt fine (except for anxiety) since then.

I guess I'm eating less fat - my diet consists of a lot of toast, rice, chicken, salads, fruit. I used to have a lot of cream in my coffee, which I don't anymore..I have coconut milk which is fat free. No more desserts either.

I do take digestive enzymes w/every meal usually. I see a naturopath and I take those plus some fish/flax oil.

I've been extra worried because the last few days I've had a tummyache, especially after eating. Not today though. It didn't feel like pancreatitis either comparing it to when I had it - more of a lower upset tummy that goes away completely after a while.

I'm just so anxious about this! I appreciate your response, thank you

Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

did the change in how your tummy feels coincide with taking the flax/fish oil?

Where EXACTLY are you having the pain after you eat?

It could possibly be reflux....that also can cause light coloured stools.

Your diet sounds good, however...how often do you eat?

How many bms daily are you having? and is there any urgency to go..or can you hold it a bit before having to go?

q

Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
(female)

Nanerpus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
did the change in how your tummy feels coincide with taking the flax/fish oil?

Where EXACTLY are you having the pain after you eat?

It could possibly be reflux....that also can cause light coloured stools.

Your diet sounds good, however...how often do you eat?

How many bms daily are you having? and is there any urgency to go..or can you hold it a bit before having to go?

q
The pain is in my lower stomach mostly after I eat - doesn't feel like it did when I had pancreatitis, which felt really painful higher up, behind/below my sternum. This is quite a bit lower and goes away pretty soon after it starts. I have not had the pain all day today though. Last night I had a salad w/toast and some chicken, around 8 - then I got the really bad stomach cramp/pain/nausea around 12:00 and it lasted 10 minutes and then I felt asleep. I've felt great all day. So I'm wondering if I have a tummy bug or something.

I eat sporadically, but usually breakfast, lunch, dinner, sometimes snacks in between. I usually go first thing in the morning after my am coffee. It's not urgent, but not difficult, and doesn't look unusual (doesn't float, doesn't look oily, etc.)

The pain does not coincide w/the flax/fish oil - I've been using those sups for a very long time. The only difference is that I cut out all the wheat, dairy, eggs, and soy 3 weeks ago...and the difference in color started about 2 weeks ago I think...and the tummy ache started 3 days ago, except for once or twice on vacation - it was the same feeling I got when I got carsick.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
(female)

Nanerpus HB User

Also just to add, this is SO EMBARRASING, but, I've been so upset about this that my husband INSISTED I let him take a look this morning after my bm, so I did, and he didn't think it was light at ALL really, just slightly. So I don't know what to think. I think it's a bit tinted grayish, not so much this morning, but light.

Closed Thread