It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

Carelyn HB User
Unhappy Scared to death about diverticulitis surgery! =(

Hi,
I have diverticulitis!! Im 46 and was hospitalized in Jan for 1 week with diverticulitis and a abcess. So painful and the symptoms before hand were like the bad flu, severe chills and body aches like i have never experienced before, i thought i had swine flu for sure!!! But come to find out after cat scan the diagnosis was diverticulitis with a abcess. i was put on levoquin, flagyl ( which was the worst), cipro, xxafacin, and i was extremely anemic so needed IV iron, white blood cell count was terrible and i have never felt so sick. Then Dec 8th i was back in the hosptial for a 4 day visit, with diverticulitis and a elevated white blood count with infection and anemia!!! As i write this i am having another attack and really think i need to listen to the drs and get surgery!! But am so scared. i keep thinking that it might just go away, (denial or what?) Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! So tired of always feeling tired, sick and like i have the flu! It always feels like its pinching on the left side too!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Carelyn:
geme (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User
Re: Scared to death about diverticulitis surgery! =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carelyn View Post
Hi,
I have diverticulitis!! Im 46 and was hospitalized in Jan for 1 week with diverticulitis and a abcess. So painful and the symptoms before hand were like the bad flu, severe chills and body aches like i have never experienced before, i thought i had swine flu for sure!!! But come to find out after cat scan the diagnosis was diverticulitis with a abcess. i was put on levoquin, flagyl ( which was the worst), cipro, xxafacin, and i was extremely anemic so needed IV iron, white blood cell count was terrible and i have never felt so sick. Then Dec 8th i was back in the hosptial for a 4 day visit, with diverticulitis and a elevated white blood count with infection and anemia!!! As i write this i am having another attack and really think i need to listen to the drs and get surgery!! But am so scared. i keep thinking that it might just go away, (denial or what?) Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! So tired of always feeling tired, sick and like i have the flu! It always feels like its pinching on the left side too!!
On Dec 9th of last year (about 4 weeks ago) I had colon resection for Diverticulitis and they found a large abcess as well. Long story short, despite having to deal with a temporary ileostomy, I feel SO MUCH BETTER now.
Before surgery, I was always fatigued and dragged down due to my body constantly fighting off infection. My colon had ruptured making me septic, but by some miracle, I did not get peritonitis.

I am not going to sugar coat the surgery, it was no fun and I would wish it on no one, but it sure beats having to live with a life threatening disease. If you have a chronic case of diverticulitis, I would definitely look at having the resection. I would also recommend finding a Colorectal Surgeon that specializes in Laproscopic procedures. My surgeon did an excellent job.

Hopefully, you won't have to get a temporary ileostomy, but it is a possiblity. Not fun, but manageable. Sure beats dying.

I have kept a blog on this site about my experience, I hope you will read it and give some feedback.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geme For This Useful Post:
Carelyn (01-13-2011), Rockster44 (09-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread