It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

Bermuda89 HB User
Help with prep for colonostomy

I am having a colonostomy next month. They think it is just hemmorids but want to be sure. I am 44 years old and very Petite. I am 4'11 and weigh only 90 pounds. I am worried about the prep. I have the Movi Prep where you drink a liter at 5pm and another one at 9 pm. I have read how this stuff is awful. I have read other posts that some people could not finish the whole thing and there test was still able to be done. Has anybody else had this prep and any advise on how to take it.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User
Re: Help with prep for colonostomy

I haven't, but if you do a search on this forum under "Moviprep" there are some discussions on it. One suggested mixing it with fresh orange or lemon juice, or Crystal Lite. Another thing on preps, which you should verify with your own doc, is that frequently you can stop drinking the prep solution once everything coming out is running clear. There's nothing to clean out once you reach that point!

Also, can you change your subject line? I think you mean colonoscopy, not colonostomy, and that may keep some people from replying. "Help with MoviPrep" may get more responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

I had aleady 2 colonoscopies and the preparation for it is the worst part of the whole procedure. Be sure you do as the doctor told you. The worst part of it for me was almost being unable to make it to the bathroom in time. You have severe "diarrhea" like symptoms all evening. At my second colonoscopy I was more prepared and wore some diaper-panties all evening to prevent accidents and cleaning up after me.

A friend of mine did not drink the whole amount, thought her colon was clean enough and the doctor was unable to do complete the procedure, she had to go back for a second time.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
(female)

sonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB User

Hi, I had my first colonoscopy 2 months ago and I took the MoviPrep. I won't kid you, it's pretty gross, but I drank the whole thing because I didn't want to mess things up and have to go through it all over again. I had a friend that didn't follow instructions properly and she wasn't cleaned out enough. So she had to do it all over again. I have a couple suggestions for you. Make the solution up a few hours in advance and put it in the refrigerator. I had heard that it was better to drink it cold than at room temperature. Also, you will be going to the bathroom many times and to make it easier on your bottom, put some vaseline around and in the inside of the anus right before you go. That really helped me a lot. I had warning before I had to go, so I had the time to do this.

The prep is the hardest part. The actual colonoscopy is nothing. You're asleep and you don't know what's happening.

I hope this helps and good luck with everything!

Closed Thread