It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

nonan47 HB Usernonan47 HB User
Red face Help Hemorhoid Surgery or Rubber Bands

Could anyone give my sister advice on hemorhoid surger vs rubber bands or whatever treatment is out there. I have heard such terrible stories about the surgery and she knows someone that says he said it was wonderful no problems sinse, of course, I don't know and I hope she can get as good of input from reliable people as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
(female)

jcavanagh HB User
Re: Help Hemorhoid Surgery or Rubber Bands

I had a hemorrhoid-ectomy fifteen years ago and I went to a general surgeon. Needless to say I was butchered and it left me totally incontinent. My advise would be first make sure your sister is going to the best colon rectal surgeon she can find. I have heard the latest technic is laser, but have also heard good things about the rubberband surgery as well. Most surgerons now do the less invasive procedures. The most important thing is your surgeon!!!

Good Luck

The following user gives a hug of support to jcavanagh:
nonan47 (01-19-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jcavanagh For This Useful Post:
nonan47 (01-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
(female)

sonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB User

I have hemorrhoids and I went to a GI and asked to have them banded. They can only band internal hemorrhoids, not the external ones. Since mine are external, they couldn't band them. So, this Friday, I am having a hemorrhoidectomy. I know I have heard bad things about this surgery, but I will get through it like everyone else does. I am looking forward to having a normal bathroom life after 30 years of suffering with this. I would tell your sister to go to a colorectal surgeon to find out what's the best route for her. I wish your sister the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to sonray For This Useful Post:
nonan47 (01-20-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
(male)

lodgen HB User

the surgery is the best path i had it and fissure surgery at the same time,
the only way to get it done with ,i am fine after it all gone.no pain just follow a good diet ,the most important thing is the rectal surgeon mine was the best ,board certified. look up my past post for more detail.

The Following User Says Thank You to lodgen For This Useful Post:
nonan47 (01-20-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
(male)

wthompso HB Userwthompso HB User

Your doc should make a recommendation on whether they can be banded or if you need surgery. Banding is an outpatient procedure. I've actually had both, banding and surgery. If they are small, internal 'roids then they can be banded. If they're large then surgery may be recommended. The really important thing here is making sure you have a good surgeon if you go for surgery and also educate yourself on the post-op recovery, what to do, what to have on hand, etc. There's a lot of good advice on this board. The one thing to remember is that not all 'roid surgerys are horrendous and horror stories. While the recorvery isn't a walk in the park, everyone recovers differently; different tolerances for pain, different docs, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to wthompso For This Useful Post:
nonan47 (01-20-2011)
Closed Thread