It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
(female)

susette44 HB User
my son has abnormally large bowel movements

My 16 year old son has a problem with having extremely large bowel movements. He is 16 years old and about 3 years ago he started to regularly plug up our toilet. I had to unplug it many times. Now he is more private about it and cleans it up himself with tools we leave in the bathroom.

Last weekend we took a trip on my brother's boat. They have a portable toilet onboard. When he decided he had to go he told me he couldn't use it because the bowl was too small. I pulled the "flush" lever which opens the hole at the bottom of the bowl so the stuff could go straight down to the reservoir and told him to try it like that. He still worried about it a little but eventually did it. After a few second he told me it wasn't working right. When he openned the door the bowl was almost completely full. There was so much stuff there covering the hole that running the flushing water wouldn't do anything except make a mess. To remove the bowl section from the reservoir you need to push in the flushing lever. If the throat from the bowl to the reservoir is clogged up that will make a mess. So I took the stuff in the bowl and put it in an empty half-gallon milk carton. When the bowl was empty and the throat cleaned out, the carton was 3/4 full. When I got the bowl section removed from the reservoir I found that a large amount of stuff had actually made it into the reservoir before it started to back up. I swear that kid produced a minimum of half a gallon of stool in one BM. He is big (6'6" and 220lb) but it's hard to believe it could all come out of one boy!

He has told me that he is afraid to use other peoples bathrooms and often holds it instead. I think he may have stretched out his colon to a rediculous size. He says he does not normally have constipation. I want to know what to do about this and if I should call the doctor. We have never mentioned this to the doctor mostly because until now I didn't think it was that strange.

Last edited by susette44; 02-01-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Re: my son has abnormally large bowel movements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susette44 View Post
My 16 year old son has a problem with having extremely large bowel movements. He is 16 years old and about 3 years ago he started to regularly plug up our toilet. I had to unplug it many times. Now he is more private about it and cleans it up himself with tools we leave in the bathroom.

Last weekend we took a trip on my brother's boat. They have a portable toilet onboard. When he decided he had to go he told me he couldn't use it because the bowl was too small. I pulled the "flush" lever which opens the hole at the bottom of the bowl so the stuff could go straight down to the reservoir and told him to try it like that. He still worried about it a little but eventually did it. After a few second he told me it wasn't working right. When he openned the door the bowl was almost completely full. There was so much stuff there covering the hole that running the flushing water wouldn't do anything except make a mess. To remove the bowl section from the reservoir you need to push in the flushing lever. If the throat from the bowl to the reservoir is clogged up that will make a mess. So I took the stuff in the bowl and put it in an empty half-gallon milk carton. When the bowl was empty and the throat cleaned out, the carton was 3/4 full. When I got the bowl section removed from the reservoir I found that a large amount of stuff had actually made it into the reservoir before it started to back up. I swear that kid produced a minimum of half a gallon of stool in one BM. He is big (6'6" and 220lb) but it's hard to believe it could all come out of one boy!

He has told me that he is afraid to use other peoples bathrooms and often holds it instead. I think he may have stretched out his colon to a ridiculous size. He says he does not normally have constipation. I want to know what to do about this and if I should call the doctor. We have never mentioned this to the doctor mostly because until now I didn't think it was that strange.
My 15 year old daughter has the same problem. Hers is not a lot of "stuff" just one VERY LARGE one. I don't know how she gets it out. She is very skinny. Only a size 0. We have tried stool softeners, fiber, laxatives., but nothing seems to help her. She too is afraid to use other peoples bathrooms. If you find anything out about this please keep me informed.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

You need to get him to see a gastroenterologist as soon as possible. He may have something going on that needs to be addressed. Holding back your bowel movements can cause a stretched out colon and also keeps toxins to build up that can eventually potentially cause colon cancer later in life not to mention chronic constipation,hemorrhoids,anal fissures which make having bowel movements even more painful to pass. Does he drink at least 64 oz. a day of water and take in at least 20-25 grams a day of dietary fiber ? Have him establish a regular routine everyday of making time to sit on the toilet for at least 30 minutes after meal to have a bowel movement. Maybe if he starts to have a bowel movement everyday at the same time his bowels will empty out and then they won't be so large and probably hard from holding them back. The more you hold back your bowel movements the more they will be large,dry and hard to pass without straining. You make the colon sack stretch more so it takes more stool to fill it and build enough pressure against the rectum to give you the urge to go.If you keep denying the urge to have a bowel movement then you will eventually cause a lazy colon that will no longer have the nerve signal in the rectum and anal muscles to give that urge to go have a bowel movement and you end up relying on stimulant laxatives to have bowel movements. This isn't the way our bodies and nature are intended to work. We end up with a lifetime of bowel problems. He make need to make this his routine twice a day so that the colon will get use to emptying out completely and maybe the colon recoil itself to its normal length if hasn't been stretched and damaged too much. In the morning after breakfast and in the evening after dinner . Use slow deep breathing exercises alternating with pelvic floor muscle exercises. use your abdominal muscles not rectal muscles to help the stool to come out. By leaning forward with your elbows on your knees push your stomach out as you keep taking slow deep breaths as this puts enough gentle pressure on the abdominal muscles to help the stool to come out without straining. I find this the best and easiest method of having a daily bowel movement without the use of laxatives or putting extra strain on the rectal and anal muscles. I started on this bowel retraining program on 3-2-11 and was able to establish a set time schedule everyday for a bowel movement. I no longer have any constipation or diarrhea problems. I have had constipation problems all my life until just a month ago.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

I diagree. I really don't think that her son's problem is constipation due to "holding it in." I guess it could be due to an enlarged colon, but from what she said, it doesn't sound like he is constipated. Constantly clogging up the toilet with a lot of matter isn't normal.
I think he needs to see a doctor for testing. We really don't have enough information, like what he eats, how much, how often he goes, any other symptoms. He could have a malabsorption issue or, who knows?
Although it's embarrassing for him and you, maybe you can address this now, help him to see the proper doctors, and hopefully save him from problems in the future. Find out exactly what his symptoms are and have him keep a journal for a few weeks, listing what he eats and how often he has a bm and how large it is. Then bring that information to the doctor, if it seems abnormal.
Try to ensure he's drinking plenty of water and eating a high fiber diet.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
(male)

csJames HB User

Susette,

If you think there may be a problem you should take your son to the doctor no matter what anyone else says.

That having been said, this is something which has a lot of personal variability. Some people have smaller ones and some larger. People on the extreme end may feel abnormal when everything is really OK.

I have your son's problem also. I had trouble some trouble plugging up toilets in high school. For me it got worse around age 17-20 and I had A LOT of trouble with it. This was at college. I had (and still have) a very large appetite and I would have a BM once every day or two. It seemed to be natural and I wouldn't have felt abnormal at all if I didn't plug up toilet all the time. I sort of knew I was normal but I felt abnormal in a way. I hide my problem by not using toilets in the dorms and never in another person's house. I learned where all the out-of-the-way bathrooms were around campus. Like your son, I would have been very worried about using a portable toilet on a boat. From what I've seen I couldn't imagine NOT plugging one up and creating an embarrassing situation.

I tell you all this so you (and your son) understand that there are other people who deal with this and it is not abnormal. I finally did find a medical paper which discussed this and they showed a huge variation from one person to another even though they only studied about 50 people. My BMs are around 2 to 3 pounds which is larger than anyone in the study but only by a factor of 2 or 3 and the study found about a 4x variation among only 50 people.

Talk to a doctor if you feel something is wrong. Otherwise just know that it is not abnormal to be this way.

Closed Thread