It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
(female)

michelle247 HB User
irregular bowel movements

Please help, I have very irregular bowel movements sometimes up to a week no bowel movements. My stools are also hard and I have difficulty to pass my stools when I have bowel movements it takes sometimes up to 30 minutes on the toilet. Sometimes I have to insert my finger in my rectum and do circular movements to have bowel movements, this techinuqe I have read on the web.
Please is there anything that will help

Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
(female)

recordsclerk HB User
Re: irregular bowel movements

You might try stool softeners & Miralax. I use both two times a day plus I eat about 30 grams of fiber and lots of water. I sure don't ever want to be constipated again.
I used to strain for years and just 3 weeks ago I had to have a rectocele repair surgery from all the straining.
I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordsclerk View Post
You might try stool softeners & Miralax. I use both two times a day plus I eat about 30 grams of fiber and lots of water. I sure don't ever want to be constipated again.
I used to strain for years and just 3 weeks ago I had to have a rectocele repair surgery from all the straining.
I hope this helps.
Have you ever heard of retraining your bowels for chronic constipation ? I have irritable bowel syndrome with constipation alternating with bouts of explosive diarrhea. In early March I was looking up on the internet of ways to help to move my bowels on a regular basis with no stimulant laxatives and found this bowel retraining as a way to help with constipation. First, I had to change my eating habits and drinking habits as well as my bowel habits. I increased my dietary fiber to 25 grams a day and my water intake to 64 oz. a day. I made a mental note as to when I tended to move my bowels and stayed with that time as this is my body's natural biorhythm. I eat a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed and cinnamon 6 stewed prunes, 8 oz. glass of warmed water with fresh squeezed lemon juice 1 scoop to Citrucel and 1 tsp of L-glutamine powder and then 20 minutes after I finished eating breakfast I go sit on the toilet for 30 minutes at least to have a bowel movement and I do this everyday at the same time to get my bowels to moving on a regular basis to prevent constipation. I used a glycerin suppository for only the first two days to get my bowels moving then on the third day I started using slow deep breathing exercises and alternating with pelvic floor muscle exercises (also known as kegel) I lean forward and put my elbows on my knees and push my stomach out to help put enough pressure on the abdominal muscles to help push the stool out without straining and forcing it out. As I start to feel the stool coming out I continue to take slow deep breaths and hold my breath to the count of 15 and then slowly release my breath and I do this 3-4 times in a row until all the stool has finished coming out. I stay on the toilet for another five minutes to make sure that my bowel movement is completely finished before I clean-up and get off the toilet. This is a miracle for me to have daily bowel movements with the straining and trying to force out large,hard and dried stools because I have had chronic constipation problems since very early childhood before the diagnosis in 1996. I remember my mother having to give me suppositories and enemas to make me have a bowel movement and the pain it caused to have to pass the hard and dried stool out with lots of straining and forcing it out.Even as an adult I have had constipation problems. Sometimes I would go four days without going and then other times it would only be one day but the stools were still hard and dried out and hard to pass and I would have to strain. When you said you had to put your finger up your rectum and make a circular motion to get the stools to start moving the medical term for that is called digit stimulation. I tried this method at the beginning of the bowel retraining and found it to be very tiring and took too long for it to work. I found that the slow deep breathing method works the best and it works every time. I no longer have any constipation problems and I now have a bowel movement in the evening after I get home from work . I hope you will try this and give it the time and patience you need for it to work.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

hilda02 HB Userhilda02 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle247 View Post
Please help, I have very irregular bowel movements sometimes up to a week no bowel movements. My stools are also hard and I have difficulty to pass my stools when I have bowel movements it takes sometimes up to 30 minutes on the toilet. Sometimes I have to insert my finger in my rectum and do circular movements to have bowel movements, this techinuqe I have read on the web.
Please is there anything that will help

Closed Thread