It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

bailey3175 HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy - Frightened ..Scared need to talk

Ive been suffering with the worse hemerroids now for over two years ..i live in constant pain everyday ....I dont have any quality of life anymore because my whole day is decided on whether i go to the toilet in the morning or not ...

Since giving birth to my daughter i have had external and internal hemerroids ,I bleed continually and consequently have become aneamic because of this ..I cannot take the iron tablets that my doctor has prescribed because they upset my stomach and make me want to go to the toilet all the time ..

i have seen a surgeon and they made me have a colonoscopy and endoscopy ...the colonoscopy was fine but the biopsies they took from my endo suggested i could be suffereing from coeliacs disease hence why i keep going to the toilet constantly ...

I had a letter 2 days ago informing me that i dont have coeliacs i have a slight intolerance to gluten but nothing is going to be done ...so on we go

there was tallk of having a hemerroidectomy this was last year but after reading so many horror stories on the forums it scared me so much i cancelled it ...but i am now at the stage where by i can hardly walk ...i am sleeping so little and i am popping pills left right and centre just to try and get through the day ....i have now agreeed to have an operation but i am so frightened and scared of the recovery can anyone please offer me any advice ???? im in so much agonising pain now i dont know how much more of this i can take..im depressed ...worn out and i look as though i have aged 20 years so fed up keep crying all the time ...please anyone ????

Last edited by bailey3175; 02-06-2011 at 01:21 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: bailey3175
anazmama (02-20-2011), Stephanie101me (03-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
(female)

sonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy - Frightened ..Scared need to talk

Oh Bailey, I am so sorry to hear of all your pain. I have been where you're at. I had hemorrhoids for 30 years, but the last 1 1/2 years I was in pain every day just like you. I couldn't take it any more. I decided I was in pain anyway all the time, that if I had the surgery, there would be a light at the end of the tunnel to rid me of these awful things. I had my hemorrhoidectomy 17 days ago. I survived it and you can too. It's been the best thing I've ever done. I am hemorrhoid free!!! It's a painful recovery, I won't kid you. But I was very well informed, and did tons of research on it before I had my surgery. It helped me so much to be informed so I could do all the right things to make me feel better. I took my pain meds on time and never skipped a dose; I had the warm water filled in my sitz bath before I had my BMs so I could sit immediately down in it when I was finished; did lots of resting and doing nothing. Patience is key with this surgery. But every day gets better.

With the right attitude and looking toward the future of being hemorrhoid free and eventually in NO pain, you can get through it.

I'm not totally recovered yet, but I'm getting there. I think getting through the first 2 weeks is a turning point. I am a baby when it comes to pain. If I can get through this, you can too.

It sounds like you need to get your life back. This is no way to live. It all comes down to how you want to live. If this surgery is the only way for you, then you have to make that decision. Hugs to you!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
(female)

bailey3175 HB User

Hi Sonray ...

Thank - you so much for taking the time to reply to my ever so slightly desperate post .. ..Your post above all the rest of the stories i have read was the only one that has actually given me some kind of hope in the recovery process ..i have read all of yours and i feel optimistic about it after reading ..so again thank you

Exactly the same as you - i felt that the pain that i have been living with day in day out now for 2 1/2 years was so bad that to live with this and without any let up of it getting better is such a inspiration to having the operation .I figured again like you that a few weeks even a couple of month of pain will be worth putting up with if it means i will be free of these devils nuggetts forever ..

The trouble is its such an embaressing subject and somewhat of a joke in the life of "piles" that i dont think people understand the severity of pain one can go through ...
Its not so much the going to the toilet that actually hurts its the dread of the wipe afterward because in my case this normal function that "everyone " else doesnt have a problem with causes me so much grief. It seems to go on and on and on all day ...and when i think thats it deep breath everythings ok now ..its in the bath ..(boiling hot too i might add because being scalded is better than dealing with the throbbing pain coming from my backside then quick get downstairs for a cuppa by the time it takes for me to dry get dressed get downstiars im in agony again ...

Seriously im 39 years of age i walk about like an old lady i sit it hurts after 10 minutes i stand up just enough time to make a cuppa tea and maybe some toast for my daughter (whos 2 and active ) and then i have to sit down ..its like a complete living nightmare ..

Paracetamol and codeine is the only tablets that seem to work for me
and i think thats only due to the codeine making you feel abit spaced out that it takes the edge off the pain ...

Its 3.30pm afternoon at the moment ..ive been pain free all day now ..and thats because i havent been to the toilet today ...but i know if i have to i will spend the rest of the day and evening on and off the toilet and in and out the bath till at least 3.00am and then i will more than likely just conk out with exhaustion which is what normally happened ...

I must lose near a about a quarter of pint of blood a day which in turn has as i said previously has made me really aneamic this isnt helping matters ..am seeing the doctor on thursday and enquiring about iron injections instead of tablets because they are terrible ... and i am also going to remind the doctor about my surgery now i have had the colonscopy and endoscopy i need to know when and whats happening now with the procedure ...there was talk of the trans anal something or other but i think in my case the hemeroidectomy is the only way to be free of this ..and only way forward

The detrimaental efffect that this has all had on my family is enormous as well ..for 2 and half years my poor husband has seen me pacing up and down in pain has played second fiuddle to the toilet and my poor daughter has spent many a lovely day indoors because mummy cant walk to the park ...

yes the surgery recovery will be awful but this is worse surely ?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
(female)

sonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB User

Bailey, You sound like you are in even more pain than I was. The surgery is a one time thing. You do it, then you recover and get on with your life. This is just a vicious cycle for you. Plus, you're losing so much blood. That's just not good for you. I hope they can give you the injections for iron. You must feel so run down. I can't imagine chasing after a 2 year old and having to deal with what you're going through. You're young and have so much more life to live. Plus, you want to enjoy playing with your little girl. I tell you, you will have 2 weeks of pain, and then things get so much better from that time on. Today, I'm going to the grocery store and then going over to visit my sister. I feel better than I have in a long time. Just think of not having to go through this day after day! I hope you will choose to make your life better. You deserve it! You can stay in touch with me through the whole recovery! I will pray for you that you will have peace of mind in your decision. God bless you dear!

The Following User Says Thank You to sonray For This Useful Post:
bailey3175 (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
(female)

bailey3175 HB User

thank you so much ..i will give you updates as i go along if thats ok with you ..its so nice to be able to at last communicate with someone who has actually been through the process ...

i will probably be on a waiting list for a few months sonray but i dont mind waiting ...thank you again for your words of encouragement it means alot xx

i try and stay humourous about it but sometimes it really just gets me down today im having a good day ... but again that is partly because i havent yet been to the toilet lol ...oh dear what will tommorrow bring ..lol ...

Last edited by bailey3175; 02-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
(male)

feilong HB User

Hi Bailey!

I just had my surgery last October... so it's been 4 months, and I still have pain when I have a bm... it turns out I abused Neosporin and instead of healing the area, it was prohibiting it from healing by feeding the bacteria... needless to say, the surgery/post op is dreadful, but you can get thru it. I can give you my horror stories, but for the most part, it's worth it. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and you will too! Just be sure to stick to a good diet of salads, miralax and water! Constipation will be your enemy. The pain meds will dry you up, so don't abuse those either. You are going to feel like the lowest person on the planet, but time will pass and you will get to feeling normal after about 2 months. Just make sure people around you know that you aren't 100% after surgery and that you will need your time. You can get thru this... I'm 24 going on 25, and it was hard not being able to live normally... but at the same time, I don't have those stupid butt monsters anymore!! This pain will pass. Be strong and keep looking ahead!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

Hi, I also, like you, read many terrifying posts about hemorrhoidectomy, even made the mistake of watching a video of the procedure first! It is amazing what you can find online.
I had my hemorrhoidectomy, and fissure surgery this morning. I am still terrified about my first BM, I'm usually like clock work in the morning, so it is heavy on my mind, but to tell you the truth, as of now, only 7 hours later, I am doing good!! I got myself all freaked out, and thought it would be SOOOO much worse then it is. I had a great doctor, and The hospital staff was wonderful!!! If I am not making all that much sense, it could be due to the pain meds. ASK YOUR DR FOR Oxycodone w/APAP 5/325, 2 every 4 hours, and Valium 5mg every 6 for the stabbing pain of muscle spasms. I also find the Nifedipine 0.2 ointment, this also relaxes anal muscles, and help to heal. I will also say, and this may help you feel better, I am sitting right now!!! lol. I think my throat hurts more then anything from the tube during surgery. I also will say, as soon as I woke from surgery, I felt like someone stuck a lit match in my bum, but I took my first Oxycodoe in the ER (they did not want me to take 2 right away, can cause nausea, and I can only imagine, that would be VARY PAINFULL), and then I took the other as soon as I got home, just to be safe, as I was waiting for this excruciating pain I heard so much about. I think i will stick to 2, as I am not big on Pain, as I FAINT..lol Just hope to god my BM is not as bad as I had read about. DON'T want to faint during a BM. I will post tomorrow, and share how it went. WISH ME LUCK!! Other then that, all i can say is DO IT!! If your everyday pain is as bad as mine was, and it sounds like it is, this is not so bad (before BM. SO FAR..lol), and I had a full hemorrhoidectomy, and fissure surgery at the same time. I had canceled my hemorrhoidectomy, and was just going to get the surgery for the very deep fissure, because of all I read on the Internet, but called back and added it back on after another day of close to fainting pain. SO far I am glad I did. I hope this helps you, and others. I also have pics, before, one today, and I'll take one other when I am healed. They are close pic's, NO VAGINA SHOWING.. Not to sound vulgar, but don't want any perv's getting there hopes up...lol. If you would like me to send them to you, just ask.
Steph

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

Sonray also helped me feel better about having my hemorrhoidectomy. Like you I read nothing but horror stories!!! Today it has been 2 weeks, and up to now it has been tough. I did not know I had an infection, and I was wishing I did not do this. Today, only 2 weeks in, is the first day I am feeling ok. feel like am glad I did this, and even though I still have some pain, it was the infection making me so miserable. Good luck! stay positive. A couple weeks of pain is nothing when you think about a life with hemorrhoid pain. I had internal, external, and fissure surgery.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
(female)

randadawn HB Userrandadawn HB Userrandadawn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey3175 View Post
Ive been suffering with the worse hemerroids now for over two years ..i live in constant pain everyday ....I dont have any quality of life anymore because my whole day is decided on whether i go to the toilet in the morning or not ...

Since giving birth to my daughter i have had external and internal hemerroids ,I bleed continually and consequently have become aneamic because of this ..I cannot take the iron tablets that my doctor has prescribed because they upset my stomach and make me want to go to the toilet all the time ..

i have seen a surgeon and they made me have a colonoscopy and endoscopy ...the colonoscopy was fine but the biopsies they took from my endo suggested i could be suffereing from coeliacs disease hence why i keep going to the toilet constantly ...

I had a letter 2 days ago informing me that i dont have coeliacs i have a slight intolerance to gluten but nothing is going to be done ...so on we go

there was tallk of having a hemerroidectomy this was last year but after reading so many horror stories on the forums it scared me so much i cancelled it ...but i am now at the stage where by i can hardly walk ...i am sleeping so little and i am popping pills left right and centre just to try and get through the day ....i have now agreeed to have an operation but i am so frightened and scared of the recovery can anyone please offer me any advice ???? im in so much agonising pain now i dont know how much more of this i can take..im depressed ...worn out and i look as though i have aged 20 years so fed up keep crying all the time ...please anyone ????
You sound so much like me! I have been crying all of the time too and so worried about my baby being taken care of! But, I guess we have to do it!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey3175 View Post

Bailey3175 - did you have the surgery? I am just curious as to how things are going.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
(female)

bailey3175 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by randadawn View Post
Bailey3175 - did you have the surgery? I am just curious as to how things are going.
Hi there ..well since my last post which was way beck at the begining of the year i have been battling with the hospital over my hemorroid problem ...

I got to the stage in the end whereby i would of done anything to get rid of this pain that i am in and as i stated previously in my last post i had gone back and asked the Dr to refer me for a hemorroidectomy ..anyway after much tooing and froing to the hospital and back it turns out that i DO in fact have coeliacs disease !!! ( im still not convinced )but thats another story
but anyway in the process of the Drs and consultants persuing the coelic thing i was taken off the waiting list for the hemmorroidectomy ...

As you can imagine i was absolutely furious that after 8 months maybe more i was forgoton which i told my Dr originally thats what had happened because i hadnt heard a thing
Anyway he got things moving and within 3 days i recived a letter saying i was to see a consultant AGAIN and go through the sigmascope thing all over again ..

I have been for my appointment and the consultant who it turns out was the guy that did my colonoscopy said that he would indeed need to perform surgery .They are going to give me a new type of surgery (i think its relatively new thats what he said ) called THD
transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization
Apparently the recovery period shouldnt be as painful and isnt as evasive as the full hemmorroidectomy
I am due to go in for surgery next thursday so i will keep you posted..I finally am seeing a light of a very very very long tunnel .....I am hoping i will actually get my life back because i have been the most miserable person in the world since the birth of my daughter ..instead of having her first 3 years at home filled with enjoyment it has been one of which being trapped in doors and close to a toilet ...do i feel sorry for me ...erm well yes i do LOL

Old 11-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
(female)

I am so sorry for everything you have been through! I have heard THD is better but unfortuneatly I only have external hemorrhoids so I am not a candidate! I do understand the feeling bad for you child. I have a 16 month old and the last 6 months have revolved around my butt! I can't bare to be in too much pain to play with him or not to pick him up for a couple of weeks! I can't believe these so called professionals think this is an option for moms. I wish you the best in everything! Please keep me posted. I may be right behind you but I am thinking that for my baby, the most important thing in my life and really the only thing that brings me joy that I will wait until after the holidays. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to randadawn For This Useful Post:
bailey3175 (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
(female)

bailey3175 HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy - Frightened ..NOT ANYMORE -POST THD OP

Hi there
Just a quick update i went in for my Operation yesterday and so far i am doing really really good ...

I had the THD procedure and i can honestly say i could of gone back to work today even i feel that good ...

I had to wait for 4 hours in the hospital and when i eventually went down to theatre i had actually got myself into such a state i was on the verge of walking ..plus the nurses had told me that i was to expect to be in alot of pain when i come round ....

Anyway ....i did go down and yes when i woke up for the anesthetic i was in pain but it was the same pain that i had been experiencing for the last 3 years so therefore it didnt really bother me ...they gave me some more pain killers and a local anesthetic and took me into recovery

My husband was there waiting for me and my first reaction was to burst into tears (anesthetic at work) i was so happy to see him i cant tell you

Anyway i couldnt urinate but i felt it wasnt going to be a problem and that it was just due to the swelling ...the nurses let me get up and have a wander about and i had a cup of coffee and after about another hour and half i was discharged and i am not exaggering when i say i could of skipped out of the hospital i was that pain free ..I was given some more pain killers and lactulose

We got home and i was able to go to the loo (wee) we had some tea watched some tv and then we went to bed about 10.30 ...i slept through
but woke up about 2.30 am really really hot i am guessing this was down to the drugs ...i eventually went back to bed at 4 and slept right through ...

i got up at 7 still no pain but i took my painkiller as was instructed 15ml of lactulose and paracetamol and codeine ..had some breakfast

I have had a bit of an upset stomach today and have had 2 bm ..both of which were without any pain at all thankfully i have some slight swelling around my anus but overall i am doing really really good and feel like this was the best thing that i have ever done ..

I cant quite get my head around the fact that i dont have to sit on the toilet for an hour or when i eventually manage to get off the toilet i can just walk normally down the stairs and sit on the sofa or stand at the sink without being in agonising pain ....for me the pain before the op had become so unbearable and my life at such a stand still that i am so thank ful that it seems to be coming to an end ...

im glad i stuck to my guns and refused the tradition hemerroidectomy where by they cut them all away ...but instead going for this THD treatment instead ..so far i can only say my experience is very positive , will keep you updated on my progress ..and for any one else out there please please dont be scared find out all you can about this THD treatment and whether it is availiable to you it is totally worth it

Closed Thread