It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
(male)

thom2573 HB User
Severe pain week following colonoscopy

Over a week ago I had a Colonoscopy for long term rectal bleeding. They did not find anything except a sever fissure. The doctor spoke to my wife about his findings. She said that as soon as he came out he look extremely frustrated and kept talking about how hard it was to do the colonoscopy due to how tight I am.

Over a week later I am still experiences severe pain that is preventing me from sitting more the 5 mins at a time and sleeping more the 1-2 hours at a time. The pain is at my tail bone and feels like the feeling you get when you slip on ice and land hard on your rear. The pain is constant whether standing, sitting or laying - I have to change positions often to get a small amount of relief. It is not the feeling a fissure would cause nor is in the area the fissure is. I have phoned the doctors office and they insist that it is from the fissure and I just have to take more fiber. I have been taking fiber for a long time before the colonoscopy and even more since - my stools are extremely soft but not liquid.

Is it possible the since the doctor was frustrated that he may have been too rough and caused some damage? I am wondering if he somehow bruised or even fractured my tail bone. Does anyone have any idea of something I can do for pain relief? I am currently taking Ibuprofen and doing SITZ baths to with little to know relief. I am to the point that I cannot go on in this pain and to doctor is just ignoring my complaints of pain.

Thanks for any advice/help.

Thom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
(female)

sonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB User
Re: Severe pain week following colonoscopy

I would go see another doctor if you aren't getting the proper attention or aren't being taken seriously. You should go see a colorectal surgeon for the fissure. I never stay with a doctor that I'm not comfortable with or I'm not being taken seriously. I've never heard of a tailbone being injured during a colonoscopy, but I guess anything is possible. Because you are tight down there, I can understand why you have a fissure. Being tight doesn't allow blood flow. Sounds like you need some nitroglycerin to bring blood supply to the area. That's the only way they heal. It's terrible to be in pain and your doctor ignore you. I would go see someone else!

The Following User Says Thank You to sonray For This Useful Post:
thom2573 (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
(male)

thom2573 HB User

I did go to the convenient clinic this morning and they seemed very surprised that I am still in this much pain. I live in a small community and everyone in the medical field knows each other - they did not seem surprised at all by the GI doctors behavior. That is sad - that it is so common for him to treat people like that. He is the only GI doc in town and you have to go about 2.5 hours drive to get to Omaha where you would find choices. In about 1 month we have another GI opening office in town - hopefully he is more caring.

Anyway the doctor at the convenient clinic gave me Tylenol3 and told me to see my family doc on Monday. Since taking the Tylenol 3 the pain around the tail bone had gone away - but the pain around the fissure has greatly intensified. I am wondering if the pain around the tail bone was really just radiating from the fissure and if the fissure was just extremely aggravated during the procedure.

It was suggested that I might need surgery for the fissure but I terrified of that now because of this experience.

Anyway I will see what the doctor suggest on Monday.

Thom

Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
(male)

thom2573 HB User

To update, by Monday when I went to my family doc I had a new pain on my inner left buttocks but not on the anus (anal rectal pain still there - just new pain was separate). I also noticed that the area of the new pain was a little puffy. The doctor examined me and sent me straight to a general surgeon. Turns out I had a bad abscess. The other pains I was feeling was likely referral pain according to the surgeon. The surgeon says he cannot see how it could be related to the colonoscopy but I don't know - the timing is just really weird. And either way, if the GI doctor would not have ignored my complaint of continued pain almost a week after the procedure the abscess may have been caught before it got so severe.

Anyway the surgeon lanced the abscess and packed it. My wife has to change the packing daily which is painful but not nearly as much pain as I was in. Day 3 since it was lanced and lot of smelly yellow puss still coming out. But the constant and nearly unbearable pain is now gone. The surgeon will look at it again on Tuesday but thinks it should be completely drained by then.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Holy Cow! That sounds awful. Glad you finally got some help and hope you are doing better very soon.

Closed Thread