It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

Debs2124 HB User
Question External Anal Sphincterplasty and Peritenal Reconstruction

I will be having this surgery in late April, has anyone out there experienced this? On other threads its seems to be internal/external sphincterplasty discussions. I have no information about recovery, length of time, when life is normal again, etc. From what i read on the internet, just external has a good success rate...but i can't get much out of my doctor yet.

If anyone has experienced this, please tell me your story. Mine is from a botched delivery 14 years ago, the doctor forgot to turn off my epidural. Finally my son was stuck and they had to cut and pull out with forceps, which is when this damage occurred. I had no symptoms until last year when incontinence started, and originally we thought it was IBS or Colitis or something.... but during an colonoscopy the doctor identified the lack of a sphincter. My is separated at 10 & 2 oclock, and they will be rejoining/overlapping it. At same time fixing the rest of the pelvic floor area damaged back then. Having a 2nd delivery probably made the original damage worse, but here I am now.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
(female)

penny70 HB User
Re: External Anal Sphincterplasty and Peritenal Reconstruction

Hi Debs,
I can understand your concern. I had a sphincteroplasty in 07 and feel now I should have been more concerned. If I had it to do over I would have researched my doctor more (I finally switched to someone else partway through the recover) and got a better idea of options as well. I think people have a range of results from very good to poor depending. I think if your sugeon has had done a good number of these surgeries and they have been successful at least you have that hope that he or she is experienced. My sphincteroplasty resulted in my being very constipated partially as a result of poor comunication by his office and I feel the hospital wanting me to leave asap even before having my first bowel movement. Then I had a fistula that required an ileostomy which I had for over a year. Don't pay any attention to my complications. There's very little chance of them but they sometimes happen. Most people have a straightforward recovery and healing. If you read the sphincteroplasty posts you'll get a better idea of normal healing and recovery. Some have done very well. Good luck to you on your procedure. Do you have a date set yet?
Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread