It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
(male)

BayRidge HB User
Anal Fissures: some important info I've learned

I've been dealing with an anal fissure since October and only really started making progress when I started going to a nutritionist a few weeks ago and here are three important (I think) things I've learned.

One, I've been mildly constipated all my life. You never talk about your BM movements with other people and I was going so I never knew about having soft stools as mine were always hard. The nutritionist put me on 35 grams of fiber a day (much thru stuff called Fiberwise) 64 ozs of water a day in addition to the water I take with the fiber, a magnesium product called Calm, and a high protein powder called Opticleanse GHI and voila, soft stools. And soft stools reduced the post BM pain from a 10 to a 1 or 2.

He also took me off dairy and milk. This past weekend I had some of both, led to a hard stool, retearing of fissure and a ton of pain. Obviously I'm off those two again until my blood work comes back and I hopefully find out the culprit. But if you have frequent constipation, I'd look into food allergies. I'm 61 and never knew I had an allergy too either but obviously I do.

Finally I was talking to another doctor today who told me to take ibuproferon 1 1/2 to 2 hours before I have a BM. Since mine is usually right after breakfast, tom'w AM I'm setting my alarm and taking two pills. What causes pain are postaglandyns and ibuproferon is supposed to stop those from being created in the first place so time to take is before the pain, not after it sets in. If anyone tries this and it works, please post a reply here and let me know as the larger the sample the better.

Hope this advice helps a few people. Doctors tend not to talk about nutrition but it seems to be a key to solving this issue.

Update:
Ibuprofen taken 2 hours before BM has worked for 2nd day. Also, spoke to my bro in law who pitched in majors and he always took it before getting on mound, so people know about this but of 4 colorectal surgeons I've seen, none told me about it.

Last edited by BayRidge; 03-04-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: update

The Following User Says Thank You to BayRidge For This Useful Post:
ajy (03-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User
Re: Anal Fissures: some important info I've learned

Are you saying you take 35 g. of fiber supplement every day? Or 35 g. of fiber total, including all of the food you eat and the supplement together?

Also, what is the type of magnesium in "Calm," and how many mg. of magnesium is it per day?

How is it working out for you, taking the Ibuprof.?

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
(male)

BayRidge HB User
Re: Anal Fissures: some important info I've learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfe View Post
Are you saying you take 35 g. of fiber supplement every day? Or 35 g. of fiber total, including all of the food you eat and the supplement together?

Also, what is the type of magnesium in "Calm," and how many mg. of magnesium is it per day?

How is it working out for you, taking the Ibuprof.?

Thanks.
I get about 20 grams from the supplement.
There's 350 mg of magnesium. It's a powder that fizzes up in the glass with hot water.

I did not have the terrible pain this AM though I did bleed a bit, so that was great news.

Closed Thread