It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
(male)

fissuresufferer HB User
Fissurectomy and Sphincterotomy Recovery

Hello all,

Two days ago I had a sphincterotomy and fissurectomy to treat an anal fissure I had had for 8 months. The fissurectomy has left a fairly large wound. It is as if there is a large hole in my anus at the 12 o'clock position. My question is, will this wound heal over with time to return to normal? Or will I forever have that hole?

Any feedback from someone who has had the surgery would be great. And just for the record, I have yet to have a bowel movement, the pain seems to be manageable by now.

Thank you guys!!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
(female)

itserin HB User
Re: Fissurectomy and Sphincterotomy Recovery

Hi there, I too just had the same procedure yesterday in addition to laser removal of hemorrhoids. My fissure was about 3/4 long and 4 mm wide... it was terribly painful! I have been told that I am an anomaly in that I experienced immediate relief after my surgery, and even today, I am barely bleeding... but I haven't had a BM yet. I've only taken one look cuz I don't want to stretch or interfere with any healing, and it appears swollen, bloody, and kind of meaty. I was told that anything that might appear odd, like a hole, or skin, or bumps are normal and that they would heal. The only thing I might worry about if it appeared to be a hole is the development of an abscess - which is a complication you don't want. But more than likely it will heal/fuse. You should be able to call the place you had the surgery done to ask a nurse directly... it will help put your mind at ease. I've talked to a nurse twice today to just ask basic questions.

I hope that helps. And please keep your post updated, and let us know how it heals up or what you learn from your surgical nurse or surgical center.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

canadianpain HB User

hi sorry, i am posting this again as i think i may have posted it incorrectly... i'm new to this process...
thankyou for your feedback on this topic
it has been 7days since my LIS and fissurectomy - i don't know what i should be expecting? how long should the pain last? how long should the gross discharge and bleeding last? my MD was horrible, no support, no communication, no guidance - basically said to come back in 4weeks for checkup (i have had surgeries before and i have never had a doc like him before - so its def not a reflection on the care here in Canada) In any case, my bms are still painful on the onstart and some during but nothing like it was pre-surgery. I still have trouble going down stairs and walking sometimes. Is this the way it will be now for the next 6months or so? Can anyone give me some direction? Is there some things i should be looking out for - how will i know if i have an infection for instance and I have read that some people develop abcyss', will i know when i have one? It just feels like my cheeks are still sewn shut and cleaning is very difficult - although i try my best with wet clothes and w-hazel pads followed by a sitz bath - should i be doing more?
any help is so very much appreicated

Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
(female)

itserin HB User

Hi there,

I had a fissurectomy in April. My pain lasted about 2 weeks. I stopped bleeding the second week. But it was critical for me to use a mineral oil enema sometimes when going was too difficult or I had to push (you want to avoid pushing to avoid an abscess and lengthen healing). I also used Bag Balm every day, and every day I would sit for 15 min, 3 times a day in a sitz bath, followed by Bag Balm on my booty. The first week was the worst as far as pain, and bleeding, and going to the bathroom. Don't forget to use Bag Balm before you have a BM. I'm sorry your doctor sucks. I had a good experience. But if you're pain is the same, or you're still bleeding after 3 weeks, I would defiantly call a nurse (not your doc). They say it can take up to 6 weeks for there to be no pain. If this is the case for you, ask for Valium - which will help relax the sphincter muscle (this helped me recover faster).

It's only been 2 months since my surgery, and I can tell you that it was best thing I ever did for myself. I am pain free.

Excluding the first week of BM's, the recovery pain for me was less than the pain of having my fissure, which felt like barbed wire and glass shoved up there. You'll get through this. And if you're worried about an abscess, talk to a nurse at your surgery center (not a doctor). (Look for fever.)

I hope this helps. It was worth it for me. I hope you're healing continues. Just know that the first 2 weeks are rough. But that you'll experience a sudden ease of everything. And don't forget to ask for Valium - it was really important for me.

Best, Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianpain View Post
hi sorry, i am posting this again as i think i may have posted it incorrectly... i'm new to this process...
thankyou for your feedback on this topic
it has been 7days since my LIS and fissurectomy - i don't know what i should be expecting? how long should the pain last? how long should the gross discharge and bleeding last? my MD was horrible, no support, no communication, no guidance - basically said to come back in 4weeks for checkup (i have had surgeries before and i have never had a doc like him before - so its def not a reflection on the care here in Canada) In any case, my bms are still painful on the onstart and some during but nothing like it was pre-surgery. I still have trouble going down stairs and walking sometimes. Is this the way it will be now for the next 6months or so? Can anyone give me some direction? Is there some things i should be looking out for - how will i know if i have an infection for instance and I have read that some people develop abcyss', will i know when i have one? It just feels like my cheeks are still sewn shut and cleaning is very difficult - although i try my best with wet clothes and w-hazel pads followed by a sitz bath - should i be doing more?
any help is so very much appreicated

The Following User Says Thank You to itserin For This Useful Post:
canadianpain (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
(female)

canadianpain HB User

thank you Erin for replying - it was very much appreicated
i am now 13days post surgery... bms are not as painful but still sting on the onset and for an hour or so after... not sure if thats normal, but i am beginning to think after reading so many post surgery posts that there really is no norm for these procedures.

i will continue with my routine of fiber, water and stool softners and see how it goes. just wondering though is it safe to continue taking stool softners for so long?

i am supposed to go for a followup in 2 weeks so i really hoping by then i am back to normal.

thank you very much again

Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
(male)

Tom Ace HB User

Trust me things will get back to normal. I had the LIS surgery 8 months ago and completely back to normal and back to hitting the weights at the gym

Old 07-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
(female)

canadianpain HB User

hi - its me again...
it is now exactly 5 weeks post op - i still feel like i have a fissure - although its no longer a stabbing knife pain its more like a very bruised constant pain and after a bm it feels like little toothpicks coming out (don't know how else to explain it). Its constantly itchy although i keep the area clean. I still have some discharge which looks like a liquid bm.
i have not been applying anything on it, should i be. i know erin you mentioned something called Bag Balm... but its not here in Canada... should i go back to using anusol do you think? or prepH?
i have not gone for a followup yet as i am deathly terrified of the examination that my horrible surgeon will infict on me. i am just worried that maybe this is not healing as it should... i know we are not doctors here but experiece speaks volumes too...
thanks again so much

Old 07-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
(male)

Tom Ace HB User

I had weird pains for a few months also. As weird as it sounds I even had pain that felt like it was coming from my left testicle (I even went to a urologist to check it out...everything was fine). It will take a while for the slight discharge to clear up. But if you are still having sharp pains during BMs I would go in to get it checked to make sure its healing up OK. Good luck.

Closed Thread