It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
(male)

patientim HB User
Lie-down tired, great fatigue for hours AFTER a bowel movement, No diagnosis

For the last few years I have gotten lie-down tired after a bowel movement. A nap is sometimes needed, although it does not ease the malaise that much. Even sitting at a desk takes too much energy and I need to lie down. Any ideas? My gastroenterologist believes me, but says he's never run across someone with these symptoms and he's stumped, but is willing consider any solid leads I might find. I have found through an online site that there are other people who have the same symptoms. Some of them have soft stools and some have diarrhea, and all have hours of debilitating fatigue after a BM. No formal diagnosis among the people I'm aware of.
My stool has been on the soft side--never ever hard for over 3 years--and I've been pretty bloated and gassy. The fatigue comes on over 15 minutes or so after a BM and continues for 6 to about 24 or more hours, slowly easing after the first 2 to 4 hours at max tiredness, fatigue. There have been no sharp pains.
Any good ideas or leads for a diagnosis? Thanks.

Last edited by patientim; 03-20-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
(female)

VitoTheColon HB User
Re: Lie-down tired, great fatigue for hours AFTER a bowel movement, No diagnosis

Have you had blood work done? It almost sounds like you aren't getting nutrients from what you are eating. Good luck, I hope someone can give you some advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
(male)

patientim HB User
Re: Lie-down tired, great fatigue for hours AFTER a bowel movement, No diagnosis

My doctor had blood work done about 18 months ago and all results were somewhere in the normal range. In case anyone with a medical background cares, I just looked back at the list of tests. Over a few months I had a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel, ANA test, ENA panel test for autoimmune conditions, Auto Hemogram/Platelet, Differential White Blood Cell Count, two TSH (with reflex to free T4) tests for thyroid function with acceptable results of 0.96 and 0.56, creatine kinase (result of 78), and aldolase.
I had my first routine colonoscopy last week. My colon showed no signs of inflammation and looked to be in good shape.
So, my doctors and I are currently stumped.

Last edited by patientim; 03-27-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: corrected my wording

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
(female)

VitoTheColon HB User

Is your gastro at a major medical center, or has he consulted with a bowel disorders department? My gastro and PCP were willing to pick up the phone or send me to Boston if needed, but it wasnt needed for me. If you have something really rare it can take a lot of efforts to find the answers.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
(male)

patientim HB User

My gastro doctor is at a suburban clinic and I don't think he's affiliated with a bowel disorders department. He just did my first routine colonoscopy last week and he did a few biopsies of the intestinal wall hoping to get clues about my fatigue issue, and I recently heard back from a nurse that everything looked and tested normal. The nurse also said the doctor would like to see me again if the fatigue after BMs continues, which they do. I'll call today to set up an appointment. Thanks for the suggestion about a bowel disorders department. I'll see what he wants to do now, but will suggest to him that he/we consult such a department.

Closed Thread