It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy, and fissure surgery was today

I read many terrifying posts about hemorrhoidectomy, even made the mistake of watching a video of the procedure first! It is amazing what you can find online.
I had my hemorrhoidectomy, and fissure surgery this morning. I am still terrified about my first BM, I'm usually like clock work in the morning, so it is heavy on my mind, but to tell you the truth, as of now, only 7 hours later, I am doing good!! I got myself all freaked out, and thought it would be SOOOO much worse then it is (so far). I had a great doctor, and The hospital staff was wonderful!!! The pain meds I am on, and so far recomend is. Oxycodone w/APAP 5/325, 2 every 4 hours, and Valium 5mg every 6 for the stabbing pain of muscle spasms. I also find the Nifedipine 0.2 ointment, this also relaxes anal muscles, and help to heal. I will also say, I am sitting right now!!! lol. I think my throat hurts more then anything from the tube during surgery. As soon as I woke from surgery, I felt like someone stuck a lit match in my bum, but I took my first Oxycodoe in the ER (they did not want me to take 2 right away, can cause nausea, and I can only imagine, vomiting would be VARY PAINFULL), and then I took the other as soon as I got home, just to be safe, as I was waiting for this excruciating pain I heard so much about. I think I will stick to 2, as I am not big on Pain, as I FAINT..lol. Just hope to god my BM is not as bad as I had read about. Anyone have any positive feedback, or advice to help the pain? DON'T want to faint during a BM. I will post tomorrow, and share how it went. WISH ME LUCK!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy, and fissure surgery was today

Sorry, I don't have any advice as I may be facing the fissure surgery in the future. I just wanted to say you're a brave person and I hope you will have a speedy recovery and let us know how you are doing.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

My first BM was just as I knew it would be, first thing this morning at 5am, before I had any pain meds in me, and it was Painful!! I feel for anyone who has had this surgery, and still has constipation issues, because my BM was small, and soft, and felt like someone stuck a blow torch in me bum....lol. I am doing better now, but NOT looking forward to the morning. Sits bath was VERY helpful, oxycodone, even more helpful.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

Thanks for your well wishes.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
(female)

sonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB User

Stephanie,

I had a hemorrhoidectomy about 12 weeks ago, and feel like I am 95% healed. I feel so good!!! I feel better now than I did 30 years ago. That's when my first hemorrhoid showed up. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. But just like you, I was well educated on the procedure, even watched the same video on youtube that you did beforehand. I was in so much pain before the surgery, that I decided if I had the surgery, at least I would go through the temporary pain of recovery, with hopes of being normal one day. After you get through the pain of the first 2 weeks, you can really start to see a gradual improvement. It was very painful, but I remained positive and knew the pain was only temporary. Keep a positive attitude. It makes all the difference. Definitely take all the pain meds you need. When I knew I was going to have a BM, I would fill the sitz bath right before I went, so that right afterwards, I could quickly just sit into it. That helped a lot with the pain. Also, are you taking mineral oil or a laxative? I had to take both of those for the first week. I switched over to stool softeners and am still taking them. One day I will stop taking them, but I don't want to take the chance of opening up any of the incisions.

Keep me posted on your progress! I'll help you any way that I can. I'll pray for you during your recovery, and that you will have a great result! Hugs!

The Following User Says Thank You to sonray For This Useful Post:
Stephanie101me (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

Thanks Sooo much for your feedback.
My pain had gotten much worse after the first 2 days, and was not sure I did the right thing, but hearing this gives me hope They also upped my pain meds, so I am hoping that will help also. Again, thanks soooo much

Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
(female)

sonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB Usersonray HB User

Stephanie,

How are you doing with the recovery? You should be about 2 weeks out now, right? I hope you're doing better! I was starting to see an improvement after 2 weeks. Unfortunately, it's a long recovery. Just be patient and before you know it, you will be all recovered. It will be worth it! Let me know what's going on with you! Hugs!

The following user gives a hug of support to sonray:
Stephanie101me (04-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to sonray For This Useful Post:
Stephanie101me (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

Thanks for asking. It has been 2 weeks to the day. My pain was getting worse each day, and had started taking morphine just to "go". BIG MISTAKE, it made my stool hard as a rock. The reason for my increased pain, other then hard stool, was an INFECTION. THANKD GOD, I went to my Dr yesterday morning, she gave me an antibiotic. I started taking it yesterday, Quit taking morphine yesterday, and this morning had my FIRST BM that was still uncomfortable, but SO much better then the last 2 weeks. Feeling good about doing this now. I know it will be a while before I am 100%, but I feel like today was a step in the right direction. Having a good day Thanks so much for thinking of me, and asking how I was doing. The people in my life just don't understand the pain this can cause, and really don't seem to care, so thanks

Old 04-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie101me View Post
I read many terrifying posts about hemorrhoidectomy, even made the mistake of watching a video of the procedure first! It is amazing what you can find online.
I had my hemorrhoidectomy, and fissure surgery this morning. I am still terrified about my first BM, I'm usually like clock work in the morning, so it is heavy on my mind, but to tell you the truth, as of now, only 7 hours later, I am doing good!! I got myself all freaked out, and thought it would be SOOOO much worse then it is (so far). I had a great doctor, and The hospital staff was wonderful!!! The pain meds I am on, and so far recomend is. Oxycodone w/APAP 5/325, 2 every 4 hours, and Valium 5mg every 6 for the stabbing pain of muscle spasms. I also find the Nifedipine 0.2 ointment, this also relaxes anal muscles, and help to heal. I will also say, I am sitting right now!!! lol. I think my throat hurts more then anything from the tube during surgery. As soon as I woke from surgery, I felt like someone stuck a lit match in my bum, but I took my first Oxycodoe in the ER (they did not want me to take 2 right away, can cause nausea, and I can only imagine, vomiting would be VARY PAINFULL), and then I took the other as soon as I got home, just to be safe, as I was waiting for this excruciating pain I heard so much about. I think I will stick to 2, as I am not big on Pain, as I FAINT..lol. Just hope to god my BM is not as bad as I had read about. Anyone have any positive feedback, or advice to help the pain? DON'T want to faint during a BM. I will post tomorrow, and share how it went. WISH ME LUCK!!
Did your doctor or the nurses tell you to take stool softeners and senna tablets while you're on the oxycodone and valium because the oxycodone is a narcotic and they can cause severe constipation? You might want to call the doctor's office and find out if you can take the senna tablets and stool softeners how much and how often while on the pain medications like oxycodone. I wouldn't want you to undo the hemorrhoidectomy repair and also cause anal fissure because you strain to have a bowel movement because you're so constipated. Also,make sure you drink lots of water which will also help to keep your bowel movements soft. If you have an advice nurse through your doctor's office I would give them a call or get the on call doctor to call you right away. Do not wait more than 24 hours because you definately want to avoid getting constipated during this healing time.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
Stephanie101me (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

Yes, I am on stool softeners, The morphine caused horrible constipation, so i quit taking it, even though it was so helpful for the pain, it was not worth it, I also found out I had an infection, and thankful that the new antibiotic cause diarrhea...lol. feeling soooo much better. The 2 week mark was when I started feeling good about having this done. the first 2 weeks were tough. Still not even close to the horror stories I heard. Just glad things are looking up. Thanks so much for your recommendation, and taking your time to write to me

Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
(female)

randadawn HB Userrandadawn HB Userrandadawn HB User

Quote:
Thanks Sooo much for your feedback.
My pain had gotten much worse after the first 2 days, and was not sure I did the right thing, but hearing this gives me hope They also upped my pain meds, so I am hoping that will help also. Again, thanks soooo much
I am new to this board and I need to have hemorrhoid surgery for two external hemorrhoids. I am so scared. I have a 11 month old and I can get some help with him for a week. I know there is pain and especially with BM. Any advice on what you did? I just think a good surgeon is not going to want you to be in extreme pain but I haven't found one that acts like this is a big deal and why is this outpatient anyway?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by randadawn View Post
I am new to this board and I need to have hemorrhoid surgery for two external hemorrhoids. I am so scared. I have a 11 month old and I can get some help with him for a week. I know there is pain and especially with BM. Any advice on what you did? I just think a good surgeon is not going to want you to be in extreme pain but I haven't found one that acts like this is a big deal and why is this outpatient anyway?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

Pain meds and sitz bath are the 2 things that help the most for me!! I actually had to have some BM's in the warm sitz bath ( can buy one at rite aid), I think it relaxed the area, and then of corse dump the sitz out, clean it, then refilled with warm water and just sit in it for about 5-10 min. Had to do this for the first 2 weeks. After the first 2 weeks all was bearable with just pain meds. I feel GREAT now, no pain! has been 2 mo's today!! Very glad I did it!!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
(female)

randadawn HB Userrandadawn HB Userrandadawn HB User

Quote:
Pain meds and sitz bath are the 2 things that help the most for me!! I actually had to have some BM's in the warm sitz bath ( can buy one at rite aid), I think it relaxed the area, and then of corse dump the sitz out, clean it, then refilled with warm water and just sit in it for about 5-10 min. Had to do this for the first 2 weeks. After the first 2 weeks all was bearable with just pain meds. I feel GREAT now, no pain! has been 2 mo's today!! Very glad I did it!!
Do you have kids? Did you like your surgeon? Was the pain bearable after surgery?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
(female)

Stephanie101me HB User

I have 3 kids, loved my surgeon in Maine, and it was very painful during BM's for the first 2 weeks, but I has 3 hemorrhoids external, internal, and a fissure surgery.

Closed Thread