It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
(male)

soulwarrior123 HB User
Dependent on Laxatives

I depend on laxatives to empty my bowel daily, otherwise I don't have the urge to go to toilet and I remain constipated

I want to know of any safe treatment for long term use..I used to use lactulose but now i am tolerant to it and it wont work properly now

and is there any difference between sodium picosulphate drops and syrup? Like efficiency, concentration???

Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Dependant on Laxatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulwarrior123 View Post
I depend on laxatives to empty my bowel daily, otherwise I don't have the urge to go to toilet and I remain constipated

I want to know of any safe treatment for long term use..I used to use lactulose but now i am tolerant to it and it wont work properly now

and is there any difference between sodium picosulphate drops and syrup? Like efficiency, concentration???
How long have you been dependant on laxatives? Have you ever talked to your doctor about this ? You really need to go see your doctor and have him do a rectal exam to find out if he can feel anything and have further testing done like possibly a colonoscopy. Have you tried to change your eating habits like increasing water intake to 64 oz. a day and 20-25 grams a day and get some exercise to get things moving faster down the intestinal track ? After you have seen a doctor about this and getting the proper medical tests and treatment ask your doctor about retraining your bowels to have a daily bowel movement without the use of laxatives. It's so much healthier for you in the long run to do this. It does take time and patience. You can try this but only under a doctor's advice and supervision.Retraining your bowels to move everyday at the same time requires you to sit on the toilet for 30 minutes after eating a meal. Breakfast is a good time. Relax by reading or listening to relaxing music and try to do slow deep breathing exercises alternating with pelvic floor exercises. Do not strain or use laxatives. The goal is to have a bowel movement everyday at the same time and let nature do the rest like it is intended to be. I started this retraining program on 3-2-11 and now have a bowel movement everyday about 20 minutes after I eat breakfast, The stools are soft and formed and easily passed without straining. I have had constipation problems all my life and I am almost fifty years old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
(male)

cheeselephant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
How long have you been dependant on laxatives? Have you ever talked to your doctor about this ? You really need to go see your doctor and have him do a rectal exam to find out if he can feel anything and have further testing done like possibly a colonoscopy. Have you tried to change your eating habits like increasing water intake to 64 oz. a day and 20-25 grams a day and get some exercise to get things moving faster down the intestinal track ? After you have seen a doctor about this and getting the proper medical tests and treatment ask your doctor about retraining your bowels to have a daily bowel movement without the use of laxatives. It's so much healthier for you in the long run to do this. It does take time and patience. You can try this but only under a doctor's advice and supervision.Retraining your bowels to move everyday at the same time requires you to sit on the toilet for 30 minutes after eating a meal. Breakfast is a good time. Relax by reading or listening to relaxing music and try to do slow deep breathing exercises alternating with pelvic floor exercises. Do not strain or use laxatives. The goal is to have a bowel movement everyday at the same time and let nature do the rest like it is intended to be. I started this retraining program on 3-2-11 and now have a bowel movement everyday about 20 minutes after I eat breakfast, The stools are soft and formed and easily passed without straining. I have had constipation problems all my life and I am almost fifty years old.
That's an encouraging story. I have a similar issue in that I have become tolerant to certain laxatives but I don't depend on them to have a bowel movement as I do have one regularly my problem is i never seem to fully evacuate my bowels. What kinds of excercises can be used to retrain or strengthen the bowels?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

soulwarrior123....Being dependant on laxatives is not good. You need to talk with your Dr. to see if tests need to be done. You could also use a good Probiotic to try and regulate your system. It may take a couple of weeks but they do work for many folks.

Good luck...JJ..

Old 04-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Question Re: Dependant on Laxatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeselephant View Post
That's an encouraging story. I have a similar issue in that I have become tolerant to certain laxatives but I don't depend on them to have a bowel movement as I do have one regularly my problem is i never seem to fully evacuate my bowels. What kinds of excercises can be used to retrain or strengthen the bowels?
The exercises to strengthen the abdominal muscles and rectal/anal muscles are called Kegel also used for weak pelvic floor muscles. Probably Googling Kegel exercises will give you specific instructions on how to do them and most likely pictures to show proper positioning . As for retraining the bowels you need to increase your water intake to 64 oz. per day and dietary intake to 20-25 grams a day. I eat oatmeal, 6 stewed prunes, an 8 oz. glass of water with 1 scoop of Citucel, 1 tsp of L-glutamine powder and fresh squeezed lemon to add some flavor. About 20 minutes after I eat breakfast I go sit on the toilet for 30 minutes. Eat breakfast and then sit on the toilet at the same time everyday. The goal is to get your body used to the routine of having a bowel movement everyday at the same time. This helps promote regularity and soft formed bowel movements to prevent constipation and straining to pass large,hard and dry stools. I do slow deep breathing exercises alternating with the kegel exercises. I lean forward and put my elbows on my knees and push my stomach out as this puts a gentle pressure on the abdominal muscles and rectal/anal muscles to help the stool to come out without straining. As I start to feel the stool come out I continue to take slow deep breaths and this takes 1-2 minutes for the stool to come out. Don't rush to clean-up and get off the toilet right way but stay on the toilet for at least another 5 minutes to make sure your bowels are completely done releasing the stool.This program can take up to a month or more to establish a routine for having a bowel movement everyday at the same time. It only took me a week to establish the routine and set time for daily bowel movements. You can use glycerine suppositories to help you get things started at first or digital stimulation. The digital stimulation with using your index finger with a glove on and vaseline on the gloved finger. Using a circular motion just inside the rectum continue to make this circular motion for about 2 minutes. I found this to be very uncomfortable and tiring. I used the glycerine suppository for only the first two days of starting the retraining program. I found the slow deep breathing alternating kegel exercises to be the easiest and most effective method. I wanted my body to get use to the most natural way of having a bowel movement without the aid of any kind of laxative even the glycerine suppository. This is the way our bodies were made to do. Believe me, this program does work if you take the time each day

Closed Thread