It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
(male)

jessew21 HB User
Exclamation Swollen anal feeling

Hi I'm very scared, if you have any advice plz help!
I've been dealing with problems for almost two years now.
Here's my current symptoms:

-Constant swollen anal feeling, and sometimes itchy or rarely slight pain.
-Sometimes have a lot of trouble getting the area clean after bowel movement.
-Everyday extremely gassy and bloated. Makes me very uncomfortable around anyone.
-Slight stomach discomfort is almost daily.
-Stools and gas seem abnormally foul most of the time.
-POSSIBLE blood in stool, but not sure if it's just undigested food somtimes.

I have seen a physician twice. The first time a couple months ago he said I had few anal fissures that looked like they were about to start bleeding. I assumed I had gotten them from over wiping all the time because the area almost never wanted to get clean. After a couple months I was not feeling any better and the fissures felt possibly even a little worse. I went back to the doctor and it shocked me when he told me that the fissures were healed, had no hemmorhoids and had no idea why I'm experiencing this. He used an anoscope and did a rectal exam and found no sign of blood. He referred me to a GI and I have an appointment with them in a couple weeks.

I am 23 year old male, otherwise in good health, quit smoking, eat lots of fruits and veggies and take a tablespoon of metamucil every morning. I smoke a little grass at night just to help me sleep, which honestly makes the swollen anal feeling a lot worse.

What could this be and what should I expect from the GI? Honestly a colonscopy terrifies me. My life has completely went downhill since all this started. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Swollen anal feeling

You don't mention the actual stool itself? Constipation, large volume, difficult to pass, etc?? Also the level of pain doesn't sound typical of an anal fissure from my experience at least... I suffer from anal fissure and hemmaroids, the pain from the fissure is excruciating, it will sometimes go into spasms that hurt for hours!

So I take it the doctor you saw did not order a stool culture?

Your diet sounds healthy, and you quit smoking - that's a good thing - congrats!

Your GI may order either a colonoscopy or endoscopy, if that is the case, don't stress over it. I have had both and you are knocked out and don't feel a thing. And I am the biggest chicken in the world!

Let us know how it goes at your next appt with the GI. Take care.

oops edit: I forgot to add, maybe try using Tucks or Baby Wipes, it's much less irritating than toilet paper.

Last edited by rufous57; 04-03-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

You need to do all the tests the doctor suggest and order. The worse part of the colonoscopy is the prep. Better safe than sorry later on down the road. If you have to have a colonscopy I suggest you buy some vaseline and no alcohol based baby wipes to use during the prep because you will be having multiple bowel movements that will eventually be like having a bad case of the stomach virus or food poisoning. Put vaseline on the rectal area after each bowel movement and use the baby wipes for cleaning yourself after the bowel movements, Try to stay away from spicy foods and foods that are acidic as they can make you more gassy and give you diarrhea. Irritable Bowel Syndrome can cause bloating,lots of gas that you can't always expel and severe abdominal cramps before and after having a bowel movement. Some people experience both constipation alternating with bouts of explosive diarrhea or they have constipation most of the time or they can have diarrhea most of the time. Keep a food diary for two weeks to see if certain foods cause you to have more symptoms. High fat diets and some people have dairy products intolerance which cause many problems in the digestive system like gas,diarrhea,vomiting, and sometimes even severe constipation. A high fiber diet and high water intake can help with both diarrhea and constipation because it adds bulk to the stool to help the stool move faster through the colon. Try setting aside time each day to sit on the toilet for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement usually after a meal is a good time as this establishes a set time each day to have a bowel movement. It actually helps to prevent constipation . I know as I have actually done this routine for a month now and I no longer have constipation problems with which I have had all my life.I use slow deep breathing exercises alternating with Kegel(pelvic floor exercises) to help relax my body and makes it lot easier to pass the stool without straining . Straining can cause anal fissures and hemorrhoids which make having a bowel movement even more painful to pass the stool.Maybe this is a reason why you have that swollen feeling in the anal area or because possibly the swelling never goes away if you are straining to have a bowel movement because of large,hard and dry stool.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Keep some wet wipes in your bathroom the type used to wipe babies bums. use a few of those to clean yourself after a bowel movement. That will help with the over wiping and making yourself sore from that..

Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
(male)

jessew21 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I take a tripple dose of metamucil a day along with fruits and veggies. My stools have been extremely loose and unformed, normally a regular brown color with like stripes of lighter colors (it doesn't look very normal), but thankfully i have not noticed any reddish/bloodish looking parts at all lately. The doctor said im not constipated and I don't have diarreah.
Also it's very common for me to start with a bowel movement thats going well and then it wants to just stop right in the middle, and I'm left with trying to decide if I should try to strain it out or have a big cleanup, or both. It leaves me feeling unclean, unsatisfied, and it feels that whatevers left on the inside is making the swollen feeling worse

Also I'm wondering, could it be possible that theres stuck fecal matter in the rectum to where eventually I started being able to feel it in there and is possibly causing irratation/swelling?? Because what it honestly feels like is that the anal muscles that are used to control whether you're holding your BM or letting it go are swollen and irratated.
I've never used an enema, is it something I should try or wait for the GI appointment??
The feeling is never as bad right in the morning if I get a good nights sleep or if im moving around a lot during the day, but at night when I'm relaxing is always the worst.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

You need to go see your doctor and be honest about what is going on with your bowel movements.He/she will most likely do a rectal exam and depending on what he/she feels in you rectum will determine whether you need to go on with further tests and whether you need to be referred to a gastroenterologist. The tests that may be done are : fecal occult blood test, colonoscopy,X-rays,CAT scan,MRI. The fecal occult blood test is to determine whether there is blood in your stool that can't be seen with the naked eye. You will have to avoid red meat and anything that could possibly look like blood(a week,my educated guess) You will have to put a sample of your bowel movements over several days on a card and then send it in to a lab or take it to the lab yourself. The doctor will give you specific directions for this test. The prep for the colonoscopy is the worse part of the test because you have to drink this stuff called go lightly which completely cleans out your large intestine which means having many bowel movements that become like diarrhea and you have to be very close to the bathroom for like 12 hours before the test. I suggest you buy baby wipes that are alcohol free and hypoallergenic and a small jar of vaseline. Use the baby wipes to clean-up after each bowel movement and then put vaseline in your rectal area to keep it from getting sore and raw from so much wiping yourself after each bowel movement. Toilet paper will be too rough on your rectal area during the prep time. I thought I give you some fir warning as to what these tests entail for prep time.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessew21 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I take a tripple dose of metamucil a day along with fruits and veggies. My stools have been extremely loose and unformed, normally a regular brown color with like stripes of lighter colors (it doesn't look very normal), but thankfully i have not noticed any reddish/bloodish looking parts at all lately. The doctor said im not constipated and I don't have diarreah.
Also it's very common for me to start with a bowel movement thats going well and then it wants to just stop right in the middle, and I'm left with trying to decide if I should try to strain it out or have a big cleanup, or both. It leaves me feeling unclean, unsatisfied, and it feels that whatevers left on the inside is making the swollen feeling worse

Also I'm wondering, could it be possible that theres stuck fecal matter in the rectum to where eventually I started being able to feel it in there and is possibly causing irratation/swelling?? Because what it honestly feels like is that the anal muscles that are used to control whether you're holding your BM or letting it go are swollen and irratated.
I've never used an enema, is it something I should try or wait for the GI appointment??
The feeling is never as bad right in the morning if I get a good nights sleep or if im moving around a lot during the day, but at night when I'm relaxing is always the worst.

Thanks
Did you have the follow up with a GI Doctor? From your most recent description, this could be hemmoroids, but I am obviously not a doctor and cannot diagnose as such. I would however recommend seeing a Gastroenterologist rather than your PCP. They have the knowledge and technology available to help with your problems. I would not recommend the enema unless it is prescribed by your GI doctor first. Good luck and let us know your progress.

Closed Thread