It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

itserin HB User
My experience with sphincterotomy and laser removal of hemorrhoids

Hi there,

First, I want to tell you that you aren't alone. Anal fissures are excruciating (and hemorrhoids can be insidious as well). And mine became unbearable. I thought the pain was from hemorrhoids and couldn't understand why typical treatments wouldn't work. The only thing that gave me any relief was putting ice packs between my cheeks. And even that was temporary. It was truly debilitating. The pain can only be described as having broken glass and barbed wire grinding in there every day, for hours.

I did a ton of research and encourage you to do the same.

I concluded that my best bet was sphincterotomy surgery (and figured I might as well undergo laser removal of my hemorrhoids while I was at it). I must make it a point to note that choosing a great surgeon and surgery center makes ALL the difference. I read horror stories about painful experiences and recoveries. Even my surgeon warned me. However, I experienced immediate relief from that acute fissure pain right after surgery. I went to Laser Hemorrhoid Center in Phoenix and saw Dr. Stuart.

A summary of my experience:
- repeating cycle of acute fissure pain where the pain was daily, severe and would last for hours (for 7 weeks... consider surgery if you go through this for 6 or more weeks as you're likely building scar tissue which depresses your ability to heal on your own)
- I opted to have sphincterotomy and laser removal of all Hemorrhoids.
- The care I received was excellent
- I was put out (twilight sedation), and the procedure only took 20 minutes
- I was sent home with percocet, Valium and antibiotics
- I experienced immediate relief (same day) from the "glass and barbed wire" pain
- Day 1, I felt woozy from sedation, and had considerable bleeding (normal), and I had trouble peeing since my parts down under were a bit numb, making it hard to urinate
- Day 2 after surgery, urination returned to normal, I bled considerably less (rest, rest and more rest if you want to hasten the end of the bleeding). Still zero glass shards pain, only a mild sensation I can only describe as a bruise.
- My surgery center called to check up on me and see if I had any questions, and they made sure I knew I could call them at any time for any questions. I even was able to talk to a nurse (again, excellence in care).

I was absolutely terrified of this surgery. I am infinitely grateful that my experience has been just unbelievably terrific, and I attribute my excellent outcome to my Dr. and their entire surgical team. I knew them all by name, and was sure to send a Thank You card. The surgery has increased my quality of life by leaps and bounds.

I'd also like to add ... for those recovering or considering this surgery, or just dealing with the agonizing pain of fissures... it's not your fault. I've been eating organic high fiber diet for over 10 years, am active (a runner), and sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to why these things happen. Don't ever let any physician dismiss you, your hemorrhoids, or your anal fissures. If I heard one more Dr. lecture me on fiber when I've diligently have a healthy, high fiber diet for years... or tell me to soak in a sitz bath.... after 2 months of pain with no relief... or somehow try to subtly blame me for a condition over which I have no control - well - I can only advise to give them your best Spok eye brow lift, and seek a Dr. that can help you and does these surgeries day in and day out. I can't stress enough how critical it is that you choose an excellent, experienced Dr. and team; one that makes themselves available to you.

The surgery is covered by most insurance. But if you have a deductible, or no insurance, the cost for laser hemorrhoid removal and sphincterotomy at my surgery center was around $1100.

Some stats for you:
-Less than 1% that have a sphincterotomy experience any incontinence (due to infection or abscess)
-More than 90% that have a sphincterotomy never have another anal fissure (for at least 10 years according to the study)

If you have had a sphincterotomy and have had trouble or experienced anything unexpected in your recovery, please feel free to respond.

I am curious if my immediate fissure relief post op is an anomaly, and if so, why.

I hope this helps anyone dealing with the insidious pain of anal fissures, recovering from or considering a sphincterotomy, or dealing with annoying hemorrhoids.

*Healing vibes to all*

E

Last edited by itserin; 04-07-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website (Thanks; rechecked)

The Following User Says Thank You to itserin For This Useful Post:
ang4 (07-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: My experience with sphincterotomy and laser removal of hemorrhoids

Glad to hear your surgery was successful, wishing you a speedy recovery. As I may be facing this same surgery in the future, your post was encouraging to read, thanks. Just curious, did your doctors have any idea what caused the fissure, as it obviously was not constipation? My PCP and surgeon could not figure out the cause of mine, and before I have the surgery I am working with a GI to rule out other causes.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
(female)

itserin HB User

Thanks for the kind words, and should you face this surgery I hope your experience is as pain-free and positive as mine has been. It's a good question... what causes fissures?
My Dr. could not pin point the exact cause for me...but I was otold (and read via researching) that it only takes one trauma; one bout of either constipation OR diareah (a nasty food poisoning, too much exlax), being on the atkins diet, anal sex, and sometimes people are simply predisposed, and hemmorrhoids can be an indicator to predisposition. Also, certain medical procedures can trigger/cause fissure, including a simple but careless rental exam, or a colonoscopy. And pregnancy/childbirth can cause fissures. And sometimes, I think there's just a genetic component.

I also think fissures are more common in women due to hormonal changes that sometimes makes us constipated... we try to correct it with exlax, and. voila.

I still contend that you can be super healthy and still have a predisposition. But there's usually at least one incident that triggered the acute pain/ chronic cycle. It only takes one. Some people can have food poisoning diareah and never develop fissures, while for others it initiates a cycle that disables the healing process from scar tissue and involuntary spasms.

I chose surgery because the rate of re-occurance for nitroglycerin and the like is really high.

The surgery actually helps as a preventative measure in addition to healing chronic or acute fissures.

Wow, that was long!! Apologies; I tend to pontificate.

Hope it helps. Those fissures are truly painful, and people just don't get how debilitating it is unless they've been there and through it.

I hope you find relief, and a really terrific Dr. that specializes in
performong these procedures.

There are helpful hints on avoiding fissures that involve lubrication, stool softer (or immodium-), and even warm baths followed by Bag Balm.

Good luck, and keep us/ me posted.

E

Last edited by itserin; 04-08-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
(female)

itserin HB User

[QUOTE=itserin;4725667]Thanks for the kind words, and should you face this surgery I hope your experience is as pain-free and positive as mine has been. It's a good question... what causes fissures?
My Dr. could not pin point the exact cause for me...but I was
told (and read via researching) that it only takes one trauma; one bout of either constipation OR diareah (a nasty food poisoning, too much exlax), being on the atkins diet, anal sex, and sometimes people are simply predisposed, and hemmorrhoids can be an indicator to predisposition. Also, certain medical procedures can trigger/cause fissure, including a simple but careless rental exam, or a colonoscopy. And pregnancy/childbirth can cause fissures. And sometimes, I think there's just a genetic component.

I also think fissures are more common in women due to hormonal changes that sometimes makes us constipated... we try to correct it with exlax, and. voila.

I still contend that you can be super healthy and still have a predisposition. But there's usually at least one incident that triggered the acute pain/ chronic cycle. It only takes one. Some people can have food poisoning diareah and never develop fissures, while for others it initiates a cycle that disables the healing process from scar tissue and involuntary spasms.

I chose surgery because the rate of re-occurance for nitroglycerin and the like is really high.

The surgery actually helps as a preventative measure in addition to healing chronic or acute fissures.

Wow, that was long!! Apologies; I tend to pontificate.

Hope it helps. Those fissures are truly painful, and people just don't get how debilitating it is unless they've been there and through it.

I hope you find relief, and a really terrific Dr. that specializes in
performong these procedures.

There are helpful hints on avoiding fissures that involve lubrication, stool softer (or immodium-), and even warm baths followed by Bag Balm.

Good luck, and keep us/ me posted.

E

Old 06-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
(female)

randadawn HB Userrandadawn HB Userrandadawn HB User

Hey, I live in Maryland and I am willing to travel to Arizona for the laser hemorrhoid treatment for two external hems. They said the healing time is 1/2 then regular sugery and virtually no bleeding. (for just hems) So, what did you think after your posts. How long did it take you to heal? I am not good with pain and the traditional surgery sounds like pure torture! I have been in contact with the laser hemorrhoid center and it sounds too good to be true! Do you know anyone else that has had this done with them since you live in Arizona? How did they do with the pain?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
(female)

canadianpain HB User

hi thankyou for your feedback on this topic
it has been 7days since my LIS and fissurectomy - i don't know what i should be expecting? how long should the pain last? how long should the gross discharge and bleeding last? my MD was horrible, no support, no communication, no guidance - basically said to come back in 4weeks for checkup (i have had surgeries before and i have never had a doc like him before - so its def not a reflection on the care here in Canada) In any case, my bms are still painful on the onstart and some during but nothing like it was pre-surgery. I still have trouble going down stairs and walking sometimes. Is the way it will be now for the next 6months or so? Can anyone give me some direction? Is there some things i should be looking out for - how will i know if i have an infection for instance and I have read that some people develop abcyss', will i know when i have one? It just feels like my cheeks are still sewn shut and cleaning is very difficult - although i try my best with wet clothes and witch-hazel pads followed by a sitz bath - should i be doing more?
any help is so very much appreicated

Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
(female)

sweetgramma HB User

My son is headed to Phoenix for the same surgery with Dr. Thomas attending. He too is nervous... more so about the pain of traveling back to New York after the surgery. we are going to stay in Phoenix for 6 days before returning.. How were you 6 days out of surgery?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
(female)

canadianpain HB User
Smile Re: My experience with sphincterotomy and laser removal of hemorrhoids

Hi gramma

I wish I could say I had pain free days right after my surgery, but I don't want to give your son false feedback. But the good thing is that advils were a god sent for me, as well as the painkillers given by the doc but I came off them quick as I didn't want to become dependent on them. I would recommend buying a sitz bath for the days right after if he doesn't have one already as they made the bottom feel good for awhile. Tell him to take it one day at a time as he will get to the point where he doesn't even feel anything and will b back to normal... Good luck to him and I wish him a very speedy recovery

Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
(female)

ordnance HB User

My colon rectal surgeon (i had two opinions) would not do this surgery in fear of incontinence. I hope you are alright! The method of dealing with it was a Botox shot. Five minute procedure. Little pain. Stopped the pain immediately. Then I stuck to baths three times a day. Stool softeners and applying Nifedipine. Tho I have had some repeat fissures - non have been painful. It did take a few Botox shots over a period of a year to help with pain-but that was before I set myself on a strict regiment of baths.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
(male)

Tndav HB User

I think 6 days is safe. I flew back after 5 days and made it. I had a really bad case of hemms, Internal and several externals removed. Just take the pain meds.

Closed Thread