It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

flamhead HB User
Unhappy Change in Bowel Movements.. Very Worried!

Hi,

So basically I've had very healthy bowel movements for as long as I can remember, eat very well, regular excerise and I was going every other day. Absolutely fine.

But last week I found myself having a very urgent need for a bowel movement, when I went I did have to push slightly, as normal, but it was quite soft (not dirrahea). I didn't think much of it, put it down to lack of sleep and stress etc. After the 3rd time I "inspected" it and it was a slightly orange/yellow colour, so I began to worry. It reached a peek when I went twice in one day, which never happens to me. I had a slight stomach ache and that was it.

About me, well I have acid reflux which has been playing up a lot recently, I'm also very sure that I have lactose intolerance, after thinking I didn't I switched back to regular milk a few weeks ago so maybe that's why?

Does it sound like it could be IBS? What else would you suggest? I am seeing a doctor tomorrow but I'd like to put my mind at rest slightly tonight as I worry like hell!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Change in Bowel Movements.. Very Worried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamhead View Post
Hi,

So basically I've had very healthy bowel movements for as long as I can remember, eat very well, regular excerise and I was going every other day. Absolutely fine.

But last week I found myself having a very urgent need for a bowel movement, when I went I did have to push slightly, as normal, but it was quite soft (not dirrahea). I didn't think much of it, put it down to lack of sleep and stress etc. After the 3rd time I "inspected" it and it was a slightly orange/yellow colour, so I began to worry. It reached a peek when I went twice in one day, which never happens to me. I had a slight stomach ache and that was it.

About me, well I have acid reflux which has been playing up a lot recently, I'm also very sure that I have lactose intolerance, after thinking I didn't I switched back to regular milk a few weeks ago so maybe that's why?

Does it sound like it could be IBS? What else would you suggest? I am seeing a doctor tomorrow but I'd like to put my mind at rest slightly tonight as I worry like hell!

Thanks in advance.
The color of your stools maybe due to what you had to eat in the last 24-48 hours before the current bowel movement. For the possible lactose intolerance you can buy lactose free milk or you can try the lactaid pills. If the problem continues with dairy products after using one or the other products I mentioned for at least a week then you may also have whey intolerance or allergy to it. Whey is a protein found in most milk and dairy products and as far as I know there is no pill or whey-free dairy products.You may want to try a probiotics as these help keep the good bacteria in your intestines in check. Probiotics are also good to take when you go on any kind of antibiotics because they kill the good bacteria in your intestines as well as the bad and that's why so many people get diarrhea and yeast infections and thrush in their mouth( which is yeast infection in the mouth) I take probiotics twice a day and then I up it to three times a day plus I eat yogurt when I am on antibiotics. IBS symptoms usually are severe abdominal cramping, a lot of trapped gas that can't always be expelled, bloating sometimes from the gas, bowel movements can vary to severe constipation which also can cause a feeling of being bloated and abdomen is usually hard and distended to diarrhea, and some people fluctuate between constipation and bouts of explosive diarrhea. Many people who have IBS also feel as though they still need to have a bowel movement even though they just got up off the toilet from having one. It can feel like you have stool stuck in your rectum all the time. Stress and many foods can trigger a flare up with IBS symptoms of bloating,gas,and severe abdominal cramping before and after bowel movements. Foods that are high in fat content,gassy foods, spicy,and acidic foods all can cause a flare up of IBS symptoms. If you think you have problems with certain types of food that cause bowel movement problems then keep a food diary for two weeks and write down what and if the kind of reaction you had to that food then you can probably see some kind of pattern of what foods you need to avoid all together. If you can tolerate dietary fiber of soluable and insoluable that can help with regulating your bowel movements in keeping them soft but formed and easy to pass without straining or the use of stimulant laxatives. Just make sure you increase your water intake to 64 oz. a day when you increase your fiber intake to 25 grams a day. Having a scheduled time for bowel movements at the same time everyday helps with keeping you regular as well. Changes in bowel habits are usually only a concern when they last for more than two weeks at a time and their is visible blood in your stools,skinny pencil or ribbon like stools, being constipated but yet there is loose stool coming out and not having control over it.Then you need to see a doctor right away. Colonoscopy done at 50 without family history of colorectal cancer and then it should be done at 40 if there is a family history of colon cancer. Colonoscopy should be done every 5-10 years depending upon whether you have had polyps removed during a colonoscopy or there is a family history of colon cancer. I hope this helps you not to worry to much and gives you some guidelines and insight as to what and when to be concerned about changes in bowel movement habits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread