It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
(female)

Jenna1104 HB User
Terrified of Sedation with a particular drug!!!

I know some of you are probably sick of seeing me post, but I do not get many answers. Perhaps my questions are not easy to answer or they don''t interest everyone.
Anyway, I am having a colonoscopy/endoscopy on Thursday and one of the nurses at the hospital called me to ask me some questions today. I was informed that I will be given IV VERSED. I do not want Versed at all. Alot of people think it's no big deal to have Versed but after a lot of what I have heard about the drug the more I do not want it. If you are not familiar with the drug look it up.

I know I need a colonoscopy because of my family history and I WANT it. I do NOT want to die the way my mother did, all because she would not have a colonoscopy. It is a horrible and painful way to die. I just don't want any form of Versed. I know there are other drugs out there that can be given to relax you enough to cooperate.

Also, if it helps you to answer, I do not have med. insurance at the moment. I am applying for one that will go retroactive though. I know I'll get approved for it because it's insurance I had before (long story)

I was wondering if anyone has had a colonoscopy and endoscopy without any form of Versed? And if so what was given and what was your personal experience with it?
I know that everyone is different. I just want to keep my options open and know what I am talking about when I talk with my dr either later today or tomorrow about it all. I'm terrified to have Versed. I know theres more options out there. Can someone please answer....

Last edited by Jenna1104; 04-19-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
(female)

curiousaussie HB User
Re: Terrified of Sedation with a particular drug!!!

Same reason I'm worried about getting a colonoscopy/endoscopy, worried about sedation although also afraid of pain

Old 04-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
Dont be afraid, Ive had three endoscopys and two colonoscopys. I don't know what drugs I had, over here they don't tend to tell you. Last year I had both done together and it was no problem. It is over quite quickly and I only vaguely remember it. When I came round I left the Hospital, went home and ate a good meal, I was starving. I am Asthmatic, still no problem. Solofelix.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
(female)

Bermuda89 HB User

I had a colonoscopy in February. I had Iv sedation not sure what drug it was. Believe me I was very scared and nervous it is nothing. You do not feel a thing. I thought I was awake but you do not know what is going on. Before you know it, it is done and you are in recovery.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna1104 View Post
I know some of you are probably sick of seeing me post, but I do not get many answers. Perhaps my questions are not easy to answer or they don''t interest everyone.
Anyway, I am having a colonoscopy/endoscopy on Thursday and one of the nurses at the hospital called me to ask me some questions today. I was informed that I will be given IV VERSED. I do not want Versed at all. Alot of people think it's no big deal to have Versed but after a lot of what I have heard about the drug the more I do not want it. If you are not familiar with the drug look it up.

I know I need a colonoscopy because of my family history and I WANT it. I do NOT want to die the way my mother did, all because she would not have a colonoscopy. It is a horrible and painful way to die. I just don't want any form of Versed. I know there are other drugs out there that can be given to relax you enough to cooperate.

Also, if it helps you to answer, I do not have med. insurance at the moment. I am applying for one that will go retroactive though. I know I'll get approved for it because it's insurance I had before (long story)

I was wondering if anyone has had a colonoscopy and endoscopy without any form of Versed? And if so what was given and what was your personal experience with it?
I know that everyone is different. I just want to keep my options open and know what I am talking about when I talk with my dr either later today or tomorrow about it all. I'm terrified to have Versed. I know theres more options out there. Can someone please answer....
Do you have many allergies to drugs and that's why you are so scared ? It can be given by mouth as well and maybe if you call the doctor week before the procedure you can ask him to prescribe only 1 pill to be taken as a trial to see how you will react to it then you might be more willing to take it for the procedure through an I.V. You may ask for Benadryl instead of versed or Valium. You can take 50 mg of Benadryl at bedtime and see if you have any adverse side effects. It's an over the counter antihistamine used for allergies and the usual side effects are dry mouth and drowsiness with most people but some people experience insomina or the feeling of being wired. This also can be given be I.V. for people who are having a severe allergic reaction . This also can be given intramuscular(IM) Hopefully, these suggestions will help you discuss some of the alternatives.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
(female)

gijam HB User

I have had success with IV valium (instead of versed) and Iv Benadryl along with the narcotic like demerol or Fentanyl

Closed Thread

Tags
colonoscopy, versed