It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
(male)

Python49 HB User
Constipation caused an anal fissure (i think?) and now can't have BM, help?

As the title suggests, the other day I was constipated and could not for the life of me get the stool to pass but it was not painful. It would just be sort of stuck and not get anywhere so after a few hours on the toilet I guess I got impatient and tried to push a bit harder to get it out which caused me to strain before giving up and still not getting it out.

So I bought some laxatives and stool softener and waited 2 hours or so before trying again. When I went to try again, the stool was soft enough to pass this time thanks to the laxatives/stool softener i believe, but the problem was just that it was so painful that I had to stop very early on. Pretty sure the straining I did caused an anal fissure or was at least responsible for the pain, where now, even though it's soft, it hurts too much to continue.

So now here I am, needing to have a bowel movement very badly but unable to do so because of the pain associated with it. What to do in this situation? Do you just go through with it anyway to get it out? I took preparation H about 5 hours ago but I can still feel the pain every 30mins or so when my bowel movement starts wanting its way out and I have to hold it back in. I assume if I can feel the pain even without pushing then it's a sign that actually pushing will once again be super painful. Everywhere I read online they talk about letting the anal fissure heal, but I can't find any advice on what to do if it's too painful to even have the BM to begin with.

I've already gone a couple days with holding it in even though I have to go bad, trying to wait another 2 days may be hard, especially if its still throbbing pain after those 2 days anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constipation caused an anal fissure (i think?) and now can't have BM, help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python49 View Post
As the title suggests, the other day I was constipated and could not for the life of me get the stool to pass but it was not painful. It would just be sort of stuck and not get anywhere so after a few hours on the toilet I guess I got impatient and tried to push a bit harder to get it out which caused me to strain before giving up and still not getting it out.

So I bought some laxatives and stool softener and waited 2 hours or so before trying again. When I went to try again, the stool was soft enough to pass this time thanks to the laxatives/stool softener i believe, but the problem was just that it was so painful that I had to stop very early on. Pretty sure the straining I did caused an anal fissure or was at least responsible for the pain, where now, even though it's soft, it hurts too much to continue.

So now here I am, needing to have a bowel movement very badly but unable to do so because of the pain associated with it. What to do in this situation? Do you just go through with it anyway to get it out? I took preparation H about 5 hours ago but I can still feel the pain every 30mins or so when my bowel movement starts wanting its way out and I have to hold it back in. I assume if I can feel the pain even without pushing then it's a sign that actually pushing will once again be super painful. Everywhere I read online they talk about letting the anal fissure heal, but I can't find any advice on what to do if it's too painful to even have the BM to begin with.

I've already gone a couple days with holding it in even though I have to go bad, trying to wait another 2 days may be hard, especially if its still throbbing pain after those 2 days anyway.
Go to the drug store and buy a sitz bath,glycerin suppositories,and oil based enema. Follow the directions on the sitz bath.Get the sitz bath ready to use. Sit on the sitz bath for about 20 minutes to help relax your anal and rectal muscles and help ease the pain in the anal area. Use 1 glycerin suppository and lie on your left side on the bed and insert the suppository and stay on your left side until you feel a strong urge to have a bowel movement, this takes approximately 20-30 minutes to work. Then go sit on the sitz bath again and without straining and forcing allow the stool to come out. Putting some vaseline around the rectal area also helps to aid the stool to come out without irritating the area. It helps to take slow deep breaths about 10 in a row then take a slow deep breath and hold it to the count of 15 and do this 3-4 times in a row then go back to the slow deep breathing for a bout 10 in a row. If you repeat these for several rounds it should help you to have bowel movement without too much pain. If this doesn't work in producing bowel movement within a hour of taking the suppository then use the oil based enema. I had friend who had hemorrhoids who had to sit on the sitz bath with warm water covering the rectal area using the suppository to help with softening the stool so she didn't strain to push the stool out. Holding back your bowel movements will just make the stool harder and larger to pass and making the anal fissure bigger and more painful.To keep from getting constipated in the future you need to drink 64 oz. of water a day and eat 25-35 grams of dietary fiber each day,exercising at least 30 minutes each day also helps to push the stool down the colon faster. Sitting on the toilet each day for 30 minutes at the same time to have a bowel movement about 20 minutes after a meal keeps you from getting constipated. I do this each morning as part of my morning routine. I eat oatmeal with ground flax seed and six stewed prunes, 8 oz. glass of water warmed for 1 minute in the microwave with 1 scoop of Citrucel,1 tsp. of L-glutamine powder and fresh squeezed lemon juice to add some flavor then 20 minutes after I eat my breakfast I go sit on the toilet for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. I use the slow deep breathing exercises I described above. This does work because I have been doing thus routine since March 2,2011 and I no longer have anymore chronic constipation problems that I have had all my life.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constipation caused an anal fissure (i think?) and now can't have BM, help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python49 View Post

Try using a glycerin suppository to soften the stool that is in the rectum that you can't pass. This can take as little as 20 minutes to work or as long as an 1 hour. Put a glove on and put a lot of vaseline on the tip of your index finger and put vaseline around the anus and just inside the rectum then put the suppository in with vaseline on the tip of the suppository and push as far up as you can . Go lie on the bed on your left side with your left leg bent up towards your chest and right leg straight down. stay in this position for as long as you can until the urge to have a bowel movement gets very strong. Don't strain or try to force the bowel movement out. Try taking very slow deep breaths and holding your breath up to 10 seconds and purse your lips and let your breath out slowly and keep repeating this slow deep breathing until you have a bowel movement. This does work but it takes time up to 30 minutes. I have done this when I am very constipated and had to take a suppository and the stool is still hard to pass without straining or forcing out by pushing so hard you cause a tear inside the rectum. I have had life long problems with constipation and very hard stool to pass and know how painful it is to try to force it out ! It feels like a knife cutting you up on the inside of the rectum ! Fortunately for me I never caused a anal fissure or hemorrhoids,or prolapsed rectum.
The only way I can prevent this from happening all the time is : I have a set time schedule every day to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement. I give myself up to 30 minutes to have a bowel movement . I use the slow deep breathing exercises to help my mind and all muscles to relax so that it actually helps aid in having a pain free bowel movement. I have had to go a high fiber diet and drink lots of water and take Citrucel twice a day. The Citrucel keep the stool soft and add bulk to the stool and helps to maintain regularity. If I don't drink enough water and have a bowel movement every day then my stool is hard the next day and it hurts to go without feeling like I have to push hard to pass the stool. I have to stay committed to this routine every day ! I hate having to think about when I had a bowel movement last all the time but for me it's a necessary evil .I wish I could have a bowel movement every day like most normal people do !

Closed Thread