It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

drewsmom HB User
Question Rectal Bleeding After A Hard Stool

Hello There!

It's been a long while since I've visited. I've always had chronic constipation and a redundant colon. I've done a really well keeping the constipation under control for the past few years. Two weeks ago, however, I passed a really hard stool and noticed some bright red blood on the toilet paper after wiping. I checked with a mirror and noticed that when pressure was applied to a certain area, it seemed to bleed. For a few days later my rear end ached when I sat on it. I increased my fiber and water intake and things had gotten better. Then this morning, I had trouble going and again noticed the bright red blood. Again I checked with a mirror but didn't see any cuts. I noticed when I went to urinate an hour or so later that there was still a little blood present. My last barium enema was four years ago and was totally clear (I cannot do a colonoscopy due to the redundant colon). Should I be concerned? I'm thinking that it is a fissure but really wanted your advice. Thank you!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Rectal Bleeding After A Hard Stool

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsmom View Post
Hello There!

It's been a long while since I've visited. I've always had chronic constipation and a redundant colon. I've done a really well keeping the constipation under control for the past few years. Two weeks ago, however, I passed a really hard stool and noticed some bright red blood on the toilet paper after wiping. I checked with a mirror and noticed that when pressure was applied to a certain area, it seemed to bleed. For a few days later my rear end ached when I sat on it. I increased my fiber and water intake and things had gotten better. Then this morning, I had trouble going and again noticed the bright red blood. Again I checked with a mirror but didn't see any cuts. I noticed when I went to urinate an hour or so later that there was still a little blood present. My last barium enema was four years ago and was totally clear (I cannot do a colonoscopy due to the redundant colon). Should I be concerned? I'm thinking that it is a fissure but really wanted your advice. Thank you!
It may be a small capillary bleed or start of a fissure. Make sure you drink at least 64 oz. a day of water and 25-35 grams of dietary fiber. If your stools are still hard and dry even after the increased water intake don't let yourself go more than 2 days without a bowel movement. Use a glycerin suppository with lots of vaseline on the tip of the suppository and even before you insert the suppository using a clean gloved index finger put a generous amount of vaseline on the tip of your gloved index finger and insert it just inside your rectum and make a circular motion 3-4 times to lubricate the inside of your rectum and put a generous amount just out side the anus then lie on your left side on the bed with your right knee bent upward your chin insert the suppository as far up into your rectum you can go without forcing it if you feel any resistance then stay in that position for at least 20-30 minutes until you feel a very strong urge to have a bowel movement. If you have gone more than 3 days without a bowel movement then the suppository may not work for an hour or at all then you may need to use a oil bases enema. To keep yourself from getting this constipated in the future try eating oatmeal with ground flax seed ,cinnamon,and raisins in your oatmeal, 6 stewed prunes, an 8 oz. glass of warmed water and fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1 scoop of Citrucel, and 1 tsp of L-Glutamine powder followed by another 8 oz. glass of warmed water for breakfast everyday and then 20 minutes after you have finished eating breakfast go sit on the toilet for at least 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. Use slow deep breathing exercises. Start with 10 slow deep breaths followed by a slow deep breath and hold it to the count of 15 and do this 3-4 times in a row then keep repeating the cycle for up to 30 minutes. If you do this everyday after breakfast you will no longer have constipation problems. I have been using this method for 3 months now and I no longer have chronic constipation problems which I have had since very early childhood and I am 2 weeks shy of my 50th birthday. I remember my mom giving me suppositories and enemas as a kid to make me have a bowel movement after not having one for more than 3-5 days in a row and how painful it was to have to strain and force out that large hard and dry stool. Even as an adult if I didn't have a bowel movement every other day I would have to strain and force out hard dry stool and it hurts so much !! I finally had enough of this constant pain to have a bowel movement when in early March I was looking up natural remedies for chronic constipation on the internet when I came across this article on how to retrain your bowels to have regular soft but formed bowel movements without the use of stimulant laxatives everyday. This method does work if you give it the time,patience,and vigilant to keep your bowels moving on a daily basis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I wouldnt worry if I was you, its more than likely a small tear in the skin from trying to pass the hard stool. If they are available where you live try ORTIS FRUIT CUBES from your Health Shop. They are pleasant to take and totally natural. You can look it up and see the ingredients. I wish you well, Solofelix.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
(female)

drewsmom HB User

Thank you both very much for your replies. Things seems to be going better today. The stools are much softer and there was only a tiny dot of blood this morning. I drank tons of water yesterday (and lived in the bathroom...lol) and ate lots of fruit and vegetables. I did apply vaseline as I was really sore and that seemed to help. I think what caused my problem was that I went to my nephew's graduation and party afterwards and not only did I get dehydrated, but you know how healthy the food is at those functions. Anyways, I"m trying to get back into the swing of things. I just freak out at any sight of blood down there. How often should I get barium x-rays done? I'm always paranoid about cancer.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

drewsmom HB User

Oh, and I should mention that when I applied the vaseline internally, boy did it sting on one side.

Closed Thread