It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
(male)

fleetman HB User
Are there any foods i can eat to firm up my stools?

my stools are always really soft, which was caused by alcohol and takes ages to wipe clean. i was wondering if there are any foods or drinks i could eat that could make them harder.

thanks very much.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Are there any foods i can eat to firm up my stools?

Yes you can do this yourself. Firstly go easy on the Alcohol. If you look up Fibre Rich Foods you will see what you should include in your diet.
Another thing you can do is buy some BENIFIBRE, this is a powder you shake on your food or stir in your drink. You can buy this OTC in your supermarket/chemist.
Fibre is what will bulk up loose stools. You may have to adjust the amount as it can have the opposite effect, but it does work. Good Luck. Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I agree you need to eat foods that absorb fluids--- the soluble Fiber type -- like psyllium seed husk. Insoluble Fiber produces thinner and paste stools.

And of course alcohol should be reduced as Solofelix said-- Your transit time is too short making your stools too pasty.

Harry

Old 07-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

I have the same problem and take Fiber ervery day. The fiber I take comes in chewable tablets, it's called FIBER CHOICE. The bottle does not mention if it is insoluble or soluble fiber. Would you know? I actually suffered from very watery stool before I took the Fiber, it helps, but my stool is still way to soft.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetman View Post
my stools are always really soft, which was caused by alcohol and takes ages to wipe clean. i was wondering if there are any foods or drinks i could eat that could make them harder.

thanks very much.
Banana, white rice,Metamucil and Citrucel will help to add bulk to your stools. They can be taken up to 3 times a day but just make sure you drink another 8 oz. glass of water after each dose. al so, eating a high fiber diet adds bulk to your stools so they won't be too soft.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Laura B,

FiberChoice is made up of Inulin --it is an insoluble fiber that is made up of fruits and veggies and all of these do not absorb fluids but cause contractions of your intestines to move digested food through and out. It is frequent added to other foods --yogurt as well as alot of processed foods to provide some fiber.

To have normal BMs a person needs 25 to 35 gms of fiber daily and it needs to be divided between insoluble and soluble fibers.

Soluble fiber that absorbs fluids --- bulk up as well as firm up your stools.

Soluble foods all the inner parts of grains-- the outer bran is insoluble and does not absorb water also the inner parts of beans (except green beans that are insoluble) & peas are soluble but the outer part is insoluble. Root veggies all absorb water and bulk up your stool --like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips and of course psyllium seed husk powder, Citrucel that is a semi-synthetic fiber.

I use the psyllium husk powder from the Vitamin Shoppe that I mix with water -- I then know it is well dispersed and it contains no additives like other psyllium products. My wife likes and uses the psyllium husk capsules that are the biggest on the market and they work for her but not for me.

All meats, seafoods and dairy products contain No fiber.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-12-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typos

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
Laura B (08-06-2011)
Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User

Hi Harry...long time. My Doctor told me Fiber Choice was 100% soluable fiber.......was he wrong??

The very best to you as always,

Dave

Closed Thread