HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   scared to death of everything hemorrhoidectomy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/854029-scared-death-everything-hemorrhoidectomy.html)

scaredguyinsac 06-12-2011 01:56 PM

scared to death of everything hemorrhoidectomy

Hello all,
I want to start off by saying thank you for all those who have posted their stories. Some are scaring the hell out of me and some inspire hope. I want to thank Tacoma Guy and painindc for their wonderful and informative posts. I have been reading their threads a few times a day hoping my issues turn out the same or similar.

My issues started back in about 2004 or 2005 when I was an aerospace ground equipment tech in the USAF. I used to push and pull and lift a lot of weight as part of my job. Including stuff I should have asked for help on most likely. My diet also wasn't the greatest and would be constipated and push/strain to pass a BM. One day after going to the bathroom, I stood up to wipe and saw the toilet was nothing but dark red. I had done something bad. I was then told I had hemorrhoids and to make changes. I didn't make the changes I should have and it progressed to the point of stage 3. I was told of my stage 3 last year and was advised I could get surgery through the Veteran Affairs hospital in Sacramento. Note: I left the USAF in 2008. I now have a job where I travel and the joy of stage 3 hemorrhoids was highly inconvenient to me so I opted to go for tthe surgery. I also almost always noticed blood in my stool the past couple months and was ready for that to end as well. So June 7th, 2010 I went under to get my surgery.

Now I am healing but I am scared I did something wrong or may not be doing things the way I should. I am scared of a few things. I wore adult diapers for any discharge and was worried that I may have a bowel movement. I think that gave me a diaper rash that is causing pain and discomfort as it is away from my anus that is also painful and sensitive. I now wear boxer briefs and pads to help keep things dry. Also, I am scared of the fact that my BMs aren't on a normal schedule. I used to go at the same time everyday almost. Now it's just whenever and the amount scares me. Every time I feel like I need to go, I go to the toilet but nothing comes out. This may be because for a few ddays its been 1 cup of fiber one in the AM and a huge salad letter in the day. I'm worried I'm not eating enough. The stool is still soft despite meds, and I keep well hydrated. I did also push the other day because the pain was so intense during a BM I wanted it to end. I think I pulled something between my scrotum and anus now. It hurts when I use the sitz bath like a pulled muscle. I'm scared that if I don't pass enough that I will end up with stenosis. There has been a lot of gas pressure that drives me crazy in pain at times and causes my anus to go into spasms. It feels great when it is relieved but I also hope that if it doesn't get relieved that it fights off rectal stenosis by keeping it expanded some. My older sister has bad anal fissures at times and gave me a cream called Dr wheatgrass. From what I have read it helps a lot of people deal with wounds and it can help with the healing process of my anal area. I haven't heard of negative side effects on the net yet even though I looked. Also, this past Friday I had to go to the ER because the percoset wasn't helping my pain. 325mg acetimenophane and 5mg of oxycodone. I asked the doc not to touch the area but I knew he would have to. What happened next was so terrifying and painful. I have never been raped and could not even come close to imagining what it is like. But I also want to say maybe I do. I screamed and yelled and begged for him to stop. It went on for up to a minute as he examined me. I couldn't do anything about it as the pain rendered me utterly helpless and immobile . The entire ER went literally silent for about 5-10 minutes as I balled at the top of lungs. I couldn't stop crying for anything that's when they upped my meds to hydromorphone. Even now the hydromorphone does help as much with the pain of BMs. If it does, I don't want to imagine not having them.

Phew that was a long winded post and I'm sorry. I guess i needed to get that out to people who have gone through this and hopefully hear some good words of advice. I really do think painindc and Tacoma Guy posts are great and should be read prior to this surgery for prep. I know not everyone is the same, but I think we can all agree a little can go a long way. Thank you for reading this and any replies that may come my way.

EDIT : I forgot to mention I have the most wicked spasms in my anus usually after a BM like I am not done yet. It has kept me up at night twice qlenching and releasing to my heartbeat almost. My body has always signaled to me the end of a BM by releasing the rest of my urine that is left to go. The sequence has always been small to medium amount of urine as the first stage, BM, then rest of the urine as the final stage. It's not doing that anymore.

Harry 06-12-2011 10:14 PM

Re: scared to death of everything hemorrhoidectomy

This is not rocket science -- it is just plain common things you need to do to have Normal BMs--- Pain killer are certainly not the cure.

Every person needs to eat a diet with 25 to 35 gms of fiber. the fiber needs to be a combination of both insoluble and soluble fiber.

Insoluble fiber does not absorb fluids but cause muscle contractions so digested food moves though your intestines--- all fruit and veggies are insoluble type fiber and of course bran and outter parts of grains, beans and peas.

Soluble fiber absorbs fluids that are all grains, and root veggies-- also fiber supplements---. They bulk up your stool.

All meats, seafood and dairy products contain NO Fiber.

Processed foods contains almost no fiber.

Your body also needs WATER since it is made up of 70% water-- no organ in your body functions w/o water--- If you drink other fluids -- you liver has to work to convert it to what your body needs.

So, to have normal BMs a person needs a balance diet, with water and a moderate amount of exercise!!

I have been posting on this board since 1999 about most Bowel problems.

I wish you well---Harry

scaredguyinsac 06-13-2011 02:13 AM

Thank you, Harry. I have adjusted my diet to better foods. 1 cup of fiber one cereal and a large salad throughout the day. I have also included a bowl of chicken noodle soup too. The pain killers mainly help for the pain of during and after bowel movements. Tonight I learned what was causing my difficult spams. I went to use the toilet sits bath in an effort to calm them down. I also watched a video about toilet positions for people with stenosis. What happened next was insane. The second I got into a comfortable position, my internals just started to release. I tried to stop it but was too scared to. It was the easiest movement and relatively pain free. The cleanup was disgusting but I was so relieved and happy that it didn't hurt and that I'm not constipated.

Harry 06-13-2011 07:18 AM

It take several days for your BMs to adjust to a different diet.
Also, make sure that you are getting enough magnesium in your diet or by supplements--400mg daily--- every cell in your body contain magnesium and lacking it causes muscle spasms in any muscle in your body and that includes your intestines. It is estimated that 75% of people do not get enough magnesium daily --even though it is in lots of foods.

Harry

randadawn 06-17-2011 04:26 AM

[QUOTE=Harry;4776721]It take several days for your BMs to adjust to a different diet.
Also, make sure that you are getting enough magnesium in your diet or by supplements--400mg daily--- every cell in your body contain magnesium and lacking it causes muscle spasms in any muscle in your body and that includes your intestines. It is estimated that 75% of people do not get enough magnesium daily --even though it is in lots of foods.

Harry[/QUOTE]

Hello Harry! I have been on this board for a little while now because I am soooooo scared of hemorrhoid surgery. I know most of the posts on here don't seem to be what the doctors call "normal" recovery but I have so many what ifs. I have a baby at home and not picking him up for two weeks, well okay. But, I want to be comfortable enough to be around him. So far it looks like almost everyone's pain is mainly from bowel movements, does that sound right? I will still send my son to day care and my husband will be home with me for the first week. I will need to be able to love and cuddle with my son in the evenings because he is a momma's boy and needs me in order to go to sleep at night. I have read good posts and bad posts, I know it won't be pain free but I want to know it is managed. I have been to see 6 doctors and so far not satisfied at all! I have an appt. next month with Johns Hopkins and I am hoping that will satisfy me since they are number one in patient care. I am sure they use the Harmonic Scalpel which seems to heal a little faster for most people. I did find one doctor that used that and also makes sure you are numb for the first 24-48 hours which I am told is the worst part other then bowel movements. All of the doctors have told me the first few days are the worst and then the pain is mainly from the bowel movements. I am 32 and healthy other then I smoke which I am willing to give up if it will help me heal faster. They all told me "most" patients return to work within 2-3 weeks with no problems. I am so confused and scared as I am not good with pain. I don't want my son to see me laying there crying for two weeks. HELP!

Harry 06-17-2011 07:39 AM

Hi,

I had hemorroid surgery almost 40 years ago and I can still recall the pain -- It is certainly not the most serious surgery but recovery ranks very high in the pain area. And of course you only hear the bad painful stories on these boards.

As you may know hemorroids are similar to varicose veins --- veins that have lost their elasticity. And, once that happens --they never heal on their own but need surgery to properly heal. They occur in your rectum that is about 8 inches long.

The best way I have found to keep from getting roids is to make sure that you have normal BMs. You need to make sure that you intake adequate soluble fiber. The problem these days with all the processed food we eat there is very little soluble fiber in it. So, I have to take a soluble fiber supplement twice daily and it absorbs fluids and bulks up your stool--- I use psyllium seed husk powder that I mix with water to make sure it is well dispersed. I use the plain type sold by the Vitamin Shoppe. I have probably used every brand on the market and use to use the Metamucil/ Equate from Wal Mart but did not like the un-natrual sugar used in it --- It has too many side effects.

My wife uses the same type from the Vitamin Shoppe but she takes the capsules (4 twice daily). They work OK for her but not for me.

Natural soluble fiber are in all grains, beans and peas(the inner part) --- root veggies like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, and turnips but they are just not that much of our daily diet so that is why we use supplements.
And , we have not had any problems since doing this about 28 years ago.

I wish you well---Harry