It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

hyacinthk HB User
Unhappy I Eat Healthy, But I feel terrible. What's wrong with me?

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to say that I have a pretty healthy diet. But something must be up, because I feel sick a lot. (Gassy sick).

In the morning I make myself a low-fat smoothie that has skim milk, low-calorie coca sugar, bananas, ice cubes, and vanilla. I also have a granola bar with it.

Throughout the day I graze, not really eating any "large" meals, but rather, smaller meals throughout the day. I tend to eat granola bars as my snacking food.

In the afternoon I'll make myself a roast beef sandwich on low calorie bread with low calorie cheese and some seasoning. I also have a bowl of broccoli with this, and some tea or lemonade. Later on in the night I'll have cereal, or a steambag from the store, which is usually lightly sauced pasta with vegetables. At first I thought the gas was coming from the meat I was eating (roast beef). So I swithced to grilled chicken. No relief.

I'd like to think that I'm eating healthy, but I have the absolute worst gas. I don't know why. It smells pretty bad, and when I hold it in when I'm in public it hurts my stomach. But I'm afraid to let it out if I'm not alone. I've never had this much gas before.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? I like my diet. It's not like I'm being unhealthy or unreasonable. I read something on the internet earlier about possible illnessess being the cause of gas, diverticulitis being one of them. I only mention that because my grandfather had that. That scares me a little.

Anyway, thoughts are apprecaited. I feel terrible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: I Eat Healthy, But I feel terrible. What's wrong with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinthk View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to say that I have a pretty healthy diet. But something must be up, because I feel sick a lot. (Gassy sick).

In the morning I make myself a low-fat smoothie that has skim milk, low-calorie coca sugar, bananas, ice cubes, and vanilla. I also have a granola bar with it.

Throughout the day I graze, not really eating any "large" meals, but rather, smaller meals throughout the day. I tend to eat granola bars as my snacking food.

In the afternoon I'll make myself a roast beef sandwich on low calorie bread with low calorie cheese and some seasoning. I also have a bowl of broccoli with this, and some tea or lemonade. Later on in the night I'll have cereal, or a steambag from the store, which is usually lightly sauced pasta with vegetables. At first I thought the gas was coming from the meat I was eating (roast beef). So I swithced to grilled chicken. No relief.

I'd like to think that I'm eating healthy, but I have the absolute worst gas. I don't know why. It smells pretty bad, and when I hold it in when I'm in public it hurts my stomach. But I'm afraid to let it out if I'm not alone. I've never had this much gas before.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? I like my diet. It's not like I'm being unhealthy or unreasonable. I read something on the internet earlier about possible illnessess being the cause of gas, diverticulitis being one of them. I only mention that because my grandfather had that. That scares me a little.

Anyway, thoughts are apprecaited. I feel terrible.
Keep a food diary for a couple of weeks and note what foods cause any problems like gas. Broccoli,asparagus,cabbage,brussel sprouts, and beans are some of the gassiest foods. I get a lot of trapped gas and it's usually a really good indication I need to have a bowel movement to relieve the gas and pressure I feel from it. When I get this trapped gas I go into the bathroom and sit on the toilet and place my hand just above the pubic area and press inward and down and try to expel as much gas as possible and then this also helps me to have a bowel movement. I carry a purse sized air freshener and matches for when in a public bathroom or at a friends home. I get very self-conscious of the smell and the noise from expelling the gas and the bowel movement when using a public bathroom or even at a friends home.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I have Diverticulitis and suffer terrible with Gas/ Noisy stomach/Wind/Belching and Pains.
You really do need to get yourself an eating plan. For me I cut out all raw foods and veg like Cabbage/Broccoli/Onions are all out. Also I no longer eat Bread/Cakes/Biscuits and Pastry. I also eliminated Sugar from my diet, I replaced with Xylitol for Cooking.
I limit myself to three cups of tea per day and drink Water and Herbal Tea as extras. No fizzy or Carbonated drinks. Give it a try and good luck, Solofelix.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Keeping a food journal is a good idea, it may help isolate the trigger foods. As mentioned, broccoli and other cruciferous and junk foods are notorius for causing flatulence but you can note in your journal the difference a food makes in your health. I would also recommend checking this out with your doctor as well, just to eliminate any serious issues.

Also, I am no doctor but I read that foods containing chlorophyl will absorb the gases & heal the intestines. Chlorophyl also suffocates pathogens by surrounding them in oxygen. Eat more spinach and kale, take chlorella tabs or wheatgrass juice capsules to get lots of chlorophyl into you. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

hyacinthk HB User

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I've been trying to cut back on the broccoli. (I eat it every day practically, and in big amounts). But I like broccoli, so to me it's not a big deal. I'm also trying to vary my diet more, as too much meat can cause gas too, I've read.

I'm going to see how that goes, and if not, maybe try cutting out the granola bars. I've had some horrific times with certain protein bars in the past. I concluded that it was because of the sugar alcohols in the products I was eating. So if it's not broccoli my next suspect are the granola bars.

But honestly, I've never had such reaction to food before. No known food allergies, never had any kind of...anything. Wonder why all the changes now..?

Closed Thread