It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
(male)

CircusOfLife HB User
Bowel & other problems. Help appreciated.

Hello, I just barely signed up for this forum. But I shall try to describe my symptoms, which probably extend much further than the Bowel Disorders forum. Any help in pointing me to some diagnosis with these symptoms would be greatly appreciated.

I've had stomach problems such as Acid Reflux & Indigestion for the past couple years. I believe a lot of the indigestion problem is stemmed from eating later at night, even right before bed & not eating in the morning.

But lately, my main problem is early in the morning. I'll wake up in a very comfortable, pain-free, half-awake/half-asleep mind state. Then as I awaken more I'll notice some terrible cramp pain that seems to begin in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen (near the liver) & turns into some absolutely terrible cramps in the lower mid abdomen & the need to defecate.

During this state I usually try to fall back to sleep because when I successfully do, I'm peacefully sleeping & absolutely pain-free, & I don't want to get up.

One've the main reasons that I don't want to get up when I'm feeling this pain is because upon standing, my gag reflex will go off & I'll try & remedy it with water, but often times I will vomit, & that's a bad thing when you need to defecate at the same time, because sometimes they BOTH happen at once.

I've done a little bit of research on the gag reflex upon standing in the morning & found that it *could* be post-nasal drip. But since a couple bad experience with vomiting & defecating, I keep a bucket in my room just in-case I have to run to the toilet & have to use the bucket while on the toilet. It's definitely not a pleasant awakening.

A lot of what stems the gag reflex upon standing is a sudden hacking cough with LOTS of phlegm. & when I do vomit, it's the last meal that I had eaten from the evening/night before, which is usually hardly digested at all.

So when I wake up I try to sit up very slowly, occasionally sipping the water bottle beside my bed, & this usually partially eliminates the need to vomit. But the need to defecate in the morning is so severe that even if I badly have to urinate (which I consider priority number 1) I cannot urinate without defecating first. It's like the old number 1 & number 2 thing has been reversed.

Something I've noticed though is that as soon as I defecate, the need to vomit goes away, although the phlegm & hacking cough remains, & throughout the day I'll start feeling much better aside from the occasional abdominal pain/cramps.

I have a history of addiction of opiates & am on very very small amounts of Suboxone at the time, but I've been on & off of the stuff so many times for so long that I'm pretty much positive that it's not the Suboxone causing this. The Suboxone literally just makes me able to function & I have no more craving for harder opiates whatsoever now.

But one thing I must note is this all started after a trip to Mexico. I went to Mexico to detox from Suboxone about 2 years ago (One've my many detoxes). I went to an Ibogaine clinic, but to my regret today, refused the Ibogaine & just detoxed on my own (They had to put an IV in during the ibogaine trip & I have a severe fear of needles, I know that sounds weird from a former addict but I never used needles & they terrify me). I live in the US & they always say not to drink the water in Mexico, but during a shower post-detox (where I felt like a limp rag) I somehow accidentally managed to get a few drops of water in my mouth, so this makes me think it may be some sort of parasite but I don't know.

I was clean from all opiates/opioids for about a year after Mexico, but I was so miserable, no matter how much I worked, exercised, yoga, etc. The main reason for this is that I had constant horrific intestinal pain & would have Bowel movements about 5-8 times a day, each being a horrible painful experience. This made me even fear eating no matter how hungry I was, & it was just as painful a year after detoxing as it was a week after detoxing. So I made the decision to get back on Suboxone because it truly became a quality of life issue & while I was off Suboxone, I didn't even want to wake up in the morning.

But that about sums it up. I'm not a big fan of seeing doctors but know that I'll have to see one soon. But as I said above, any help in pointing me towards any diagnosis as to what these problems are would be SO greatfully appreciated.

Also, I do drink about 2-5 beers per night. (Utah beers which are 3.2% alcohol)

Thanks Everyone. It even feels good just to type this out. Sorry for any typos, as I'm kinda rushing as I type this. =-)

-CircusOfLife

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Bowel & other problems. Help appreciated.

Eating late at night, especially right before bedtime is very hard on your system; I would recommend not eating anything after 8:00PM. As you have said you have Acid Reflux for years, I sure hope you are seeing a Gastroenterologist, that's way too serious of a condition to leave untreated! The doctor is the best person to diagnose your cramping and bowel troubles, I would advise you get yourself checked out first. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
CircusOfLife (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Eating late at night is not good for your stomach and added to 2-5 beers as well is even worse.
Take an honest look at your diet, (What goes in must come out). Vomiting and Diarrhea must be investigated, you will most likely need a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy to see what is going on.
I myself have stomach problems and I know it is important to get these symptoms checked out.
Don't be put of visiting your Dr, better be safe than sorry. Also I was told NOT to eat three hours before going to bed. I wish you well and let us know how things go, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
CircusOfLife (06-30-2011)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
(female)

annamiller3000 HB User

Ibogaine is really good for curing addictions. I know it because I used Ibogaine and he helped me.

Last edited by annamiller3000; 04-12-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusOfLife View Post
Hello, I just barely signed up for this forum. But I shall try to describe my symptoms, which probably extend much further than the Bowel Disorders forum. Any help in pointing me to some diagnosis with these symptoms would be greatly appreciated.

I've had stomach problems such as Acid Reflux & Indigestion for the past couple years. I believe a lot of the indigestion problem is stemmed from eating later at night, even right before bed & not eating in the morning.

But lately, my main problem is early in the morning. I'll wake up in a very comfortable, pain-free, half-awake/half-asleep mind state. Then as I awaken more I'll notice some terrible cramp pain that seems to begin in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen (near the liver) & turns into some absolutely terrible cramps in the lower mid abdomen & the need to defecate.

During this state I usually try to fall back to sleep because when I successfully do, I'm peacefully sleeping & absolutely pain-free, & I don't want to get up.

One've the main reasons that I don't want to get up when I'm feeling this pain is because upon standing, my gag reflex will go off & I'll try & remedy it with water, but often times I will vomit, & that's a bad thing when you need to defecate at the same time, because sometimes they BOTH happen at once.

I've done a little bit of research on the gag reflex upon standing in the morning & found that it *could* be post-nasal drip. But since a couple bad experience with vomiting & defecating, I keep a bucket in my room just in-case I have to run to the toilet & have to use the bucket while on the toilet. It's definitely not a pleasant awakening.

A lot of what stems the gag reflex upon standing is a sudden hacking cough with LOTS of phlegm. & when I do vomit, it's the last meal that I had eaten from the evening/night before, which is usually hardly digested at all.

So when I wake up I try to sit up very slowly, occasionally sipping the water bottle beside my bed, & this usually partially eliminates the need to vomit. But the need to defecate in the morning is so severe that even if I badly have to urinate (which I consider priority number 1) I cannot urinate without defecating first. It's like the old number 1 & number 2 thing has been reversed.

Something I've noticed though is that as soon as I defecate, the need to vomit goes away, although the phlegm & hacking cough remains, & throughout the day I'll start feeling much better aside from the occasional abdominal pain/cramps.

I have a history of addiction of opiates & am on very very small amounts of Suboxone at the time, but I've been on & off of the stuff so many times for so long that I'm pretty much positive that it's not the Suboxone causing this. The Suboxone literally just makes me able to function & I have no more craving for harder opiates whatsoever now.

But one thing I must note is this all started after a trip to Mexico. I went to Mexico to detox from Suboxone about 2 years ago (One've my many detoxes). I went to an Ibogaine clinic, but to my regret today, refused the Ibogaine & just detoxed on my own (They had to put an IV in during the ibogaine trip & I have a severe fear of needles, I know that sounds weird from a former addict but I never used needles & they terrify me). I live in the US & they always say not to drink the water in Mexico, but during a shower post-detox (where I felt like a limp rag) I somehow accidentally managed to get a few drops of water in my mouth, so this makes me think it may be some sort of parasite but I don't know.

I was clean from all opiates/opioids for about a year after Mexico, but I was so miserable, no matter how much I worked, exercised, yoga, etc. The main reason for this is that I had constant horrific intestinal pain & would have Bowel movements about 5-8 times a day, each being a horrible painful experience. This made me even fear eating no matter how hungry I was, & it was just as painful a year after detoxing as it was a week after detoxing. So I made the decision to get back on Suboxone because it truly became a quality of life issue & while I was off Suboxone, I didn't even want to wake up in the morning.

But that about sums it up. I'm not a big fan of seeing doctors but know that I'll have to see one soon. But as I said above, any help in pointing me towards any diagnosis as to what these problems are would be SO greatfully appreciated.

Also, I do drink about 2-5 beers per night. (Utah beers which are 3.2% alcohol)

Thanks Everyone. It even feels good just to type this out. Sorry for any typos, as I'm kinda rushing as I type this. =-)

-CircusOfLife
I have acid reflux and IBS-A. Try putting the head of your bed on risers so your head is elevated all night. This also could help any post-nasal drip you might have. Do not lie down for at least 3 hours after eating and try not to eat after 7 or 8 pm so that your food gets digested before you lie down. You might want to try to use a sinus nasal rinse everyday to get rid of any post-nasal drip which also can cause your gag reflex to kick in so strong and cause nausea and vomiting.
As far as having the cramps and pain in lower right quadrant goes,it might your natural peristalsis kicking in to let you know you need to move your bowels. You can retrain your bowels to move before bedtime or right after dinner. Make a set time schedule for sitting on the toilet every day to have a bowel movement either 30 minutes after dinner or 30 minutes before going to bed. It can take up to 2 weeks for your bowels to get use to the new schedule. In order for it to work you will need to commit to the new schedule daily ad give it 30 minutes. I found listening to relaxing music and or reading a good book or magazine helps my body to relax so it makes it easier to go. I have to have this daily routine because of chronic constipation problems all my life or I have problems the next day if I don't. I hope these suggestions will help you.

Closed Thread